Apple ROM calls from assembler docs. req.
Harry Potter
2017-06-27 23:25:14 UTC
Hi! I am looking for documentation on the Apple 2's ROM routines as callable from assembler. Where can I get it?
David Schmenk
2017-06-28 02:50:40 UTC
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=apple+ii+rom+routines
r***@gmail.com
2017-06-28 03:05:03 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Hi! I am looking for documentation on the Apple 2's ROM routines as callable from assembler. Where can I get it?
I didn’t find your question specific enough. The major Apple II ROM categories are:

* Monitor
* Applesoft
* IIe compatible 80 column
* 5.25 floppy drive controller
* ProDOS block device
* non-disk I/O card (likely Pascal compatible)
* IIgs

All monitors support 40 column text, lo-res graphics and reading the game paddles. Any Apple II Reference Manual should describe these; avoid the versions that omit monitor source listings. I’m fond of the spiral bound Apple II Reference Manual by Chris Espinosa (his name was removed from later editions). I haven’t found a good scan of it.

I discourage the //e Technical Reference Manuals for their limited scope; use a //c Technical Reference instead.

The easiest place to start looking is https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Computers/Apple%20II/
Harry Potter
General-purpose stuff, such as keyboard/screen I/O and graphics.
Harry Potter
2017-06-28 15:37:21 UTC
Never mind. Found it! :)
James Davis
2017-06-28 18:48:01 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Post by Harry Potter
General-purpose stuff, such as keyboard/screen I/O and graphics.
Never mind. Found it! :)
Please tell us: What exactly did you find?

Because this has it all:

ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/What's%20Where%20in%20the%20Apple-A%20Complete%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apple%20Computer.pdf
Harry Potter
2017-06-28 22:44:14 UTC
Post by James Davis
Please tell us: What exactly did you find?
I found Apple Monitors Peeled. I think I at first mistook Monitor for Machine Language Monitor. :(
I'll download it now. :)
r***@gmail.com
2017-06-29 02:41:32 UTC

"The 'Apple II Reference Manual' supplied to you when you purchased your Apple"...
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-05 14:49:25 UTC
I would start here ...

AppleSoft
http://jamtronix.com/files/applesoft.html

The Apple II red book
Specifically, the F800 source, on Page 77
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Apple/Apple%20II%20(Redbook)%20Reference%20Manual%2030th%20Anniversary.pdf

Also of value
Apple II Original ROM Information
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/Apple%20II%20Original%20ROM%20Info.pdf

You'll probably also want to download everything here to see what's relevant
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/programming/6502assembly/
Harry Potter
2017-07-05 15:13:27 UTC
Thank you, but I'm looking for IIe and IIc info. :)
D Finnigan
2017-07-05 16:33:22 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Thank you, but I'm looking for IIe and IIc info. :)
Do you own money?

If so, you can buy all the manuals that you need from the Syndicomm Apple II
Store. Take a look here: https://store.syndicomm.com/shop/b942-18-60/

The Apple IIc reference manual is only $30:
https://store.syndicomm.com/syn/apple-iic-technical-reference-2nd-ed/

There are several pages of manuals so be sure to click the pagination near
the bottom of the page.

You can also buy all of the reference manuals at once in a collection of
PDFs. This is a good deal. It's only $129 and comes on a CD-ROM:
https://store.syndicomm.com/syn/apda-apple-ii-reference-library/
That's a good deal.

This will allow you to have all the programming information you ever need,
and you won't have to post questions online asking really basic and beginner
questions, because you'll have all the answers in these manuals.
--
]DF$
Apple II 40th Anniversary User's Guide:
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
D Finnigan
2017-07-06 20:11:27 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
Post by Harry Potter
Thank you, but I'm looking for IIe and IIc info. :)
Do you own money?
In NOT, here are several of my lists of free, downloadable, Apple IIe and
Thanks. Someone should maintain that list on one of the Apple II Wikis.