Second sight sighting!
2017-09-29 12:11:45 UTC
Holy testicle Fridays! Woke up and found this : https://m.ebay.com/itm/122720536459?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252Fe11021.m43.l3160%252F7%253Feuid%253D2bbc1f318b624b9daf12f7af7315f196%2526bu%253D43657193583%2526loc%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fitm%25252F122720536459%2526sojTags%253Dbu%253Dbu%2526srcrot%253De11021.m43.l3160%2526rvr_id%253D0&ul_noapp=true

Anyone know of any software/games that took advantage of it? I heard there were some glitches on it, anyone own one?
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-29 16:12:15 UTC
I own two, I do not use them.

You have a pic viewer, ThirdView at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/apple2gs/thirdview.html and a game, Cogito: The return at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/apple2gs/cogitoreturn.html

Antoine
Anthony Ortiz
2017-09-29 17:37:30 UTC
Are the game graphics any good? Supposed to be vga/supervga right?
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-29 22:43:46 UTC
Click the link and read its description...
Anthony Ortiz
2017-09-29 23:23:17 UTC
I've been at work and unable to do so but I'll check it out when I get home. What are your experiences with second sight?
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-30 17:46:14 UTC
I've been at work and unable to do so but I'll check it out when I get home. What are your experiences with second sight?
On the pros:
- plenty of text/gfx modes
- a dedicated chip to handle the gfx memory directly
- emulates (badly I think) the A2 video modes

On the cons:
- the dedicated chip is a z80, I don't speak Z80 :-( I wish it had a 65816 or a 65x02
- the A2 bus is still 1 MHz and moving data to the card is therefore slow for data transfer, thus it would have been necessary to speak Z80 to do everything on the card directly

For Cogito (thank you for your kind message), I used a table to keep track of changed lines to refresh them and only them.

Antoine
Anthony Ortiz
2017-10-03 12:39:17 UTC
Is using z80 mandatory for using vga or do they provide some API you can call? I found a low level commands doc on Asimov; would this be it?
IUnknown
2017-09-30 04:46:26 UTC
Are the game graphics any good? Supposed to be vga/supervga right?
It is most useful as a hardware scaler for VGA and not much more. It was quite nice to be able to plug it into nearly any VGA monitor and be able to use my IIgs.

For games, there is a perceptible lag and slight screen tearing that affected a few titles. My guess is that anything that is banging a lot of pixels is going to have some tearing.

The GS/OS desktop and 80 column text was fantastic. Loved that part of the experience.

Eventually sold my whole setup - ramfastD, second sight, transwarp, 8MB card, etc, etc for a song. Killing myself. I could have gone on a nice vacation given the prices these things are going for.
Steven Hirsch
I wish ReActive Micro would clone the Second Sight card.
Antoine Vignau
2017-10-03 16:05:04 UTC
To Anthony:
you can use the SS directly and send data (GS -> SS RAM) through softswitches.
The interest of the Z80 is to run code directly from the SS card and drive it nearly entirely.
Anthony Ortiz
2017-09-30 14:46:12 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
I own two, I do not use them.
You have a pic viewer, ThirdView at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/apple2gs/thirdview.html and a game, Cogito: The return at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/apple2gs/cogitoreturn.html
Antoine
Wow, Cogito looks impressive on an Apple IIgs with the SecondSight card; well done Antoine!