What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert
2017-08-11 16:56:15 UTC
Hi All,

I am working on making a PDF and a TXT of "What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert" in order to create a database and an Equates TXT file for the data it contains. If anyone knows if this has already been done, please let me know where I can find it online to download. If it has not been done, let me know that, too. Anyone interested in this project and/or the final results, please respond with exactly what your interest is.

James Davis
Oliver Schmidt
2017-08-11 17:09:07 UTC
Hi James,
Post by James Davis
If it has not been done, let me know that, too.
I guess you are aware of
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/What%27s%20Where%20in%20the%20Apple-A%20Complete%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apple%20Computer.pdf
Post by James Davis
Anyone int=
erested in this project and/or the final results, please respond with exact=
ly what your interest is.
I'm interested in the results. I'd like to see a (of course
searchable) PDF.

Regards,
Oliver
Hugh Hood
2017-08-12 02:30:33 UTC
James and Oliver,

You may wish to start with the re-issue that Call Apple did recently and
that also contains a companion disk image. It's called "What’s Where in
the Apple: Enhanced Edition released by A.P.P.L.E."

I imagine they have a pristine .pdf of this. OTOH, they may not want to
make it available. It never hurts to ask, I suppose.

<http://www.callapple.org/call-apple/call-a-p-p-l-e-production/whats-where-in-the-apple-enhanced-edition-released-by-a-p-p-l-e/>

Hugh Hood
Post by Oliver Schmidt
Hi James,
Oliver
James Davis
2017-08-12 08:06:49 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
James and Oliver,
You may wish to start with the re-issue that Call Apple did recently and
that also contains a companion disk image. It's called "What’s Where in
the Apple: Enhanced Edition released by A.P.P.L.E."
I imagine they have a pristine .pdf of this. OTOH, they may not want to
make it available. It never hurts to ask, I suppose.
<http://www.callapple.org/call-apple/call-a-p-p-l-e-production/whats-where-in-the-apple-enhanced-edition-released-by-a-p-p-l-e/>
Hugh Hood
Post by Oliver Schmidt
Hi James,
Post by James Davis
Anyone int=
erested in this project and/or the final results, please respond with exact=
ly what your interest is.
I'm interested in the results. I'd like to see a (of course
searchable) PDF.
Regards,
Oliver
Hi Hugh,

I am aware of the Enhanced Edition. (Have you purchased it? Is the PDF not on the accompanying disk?) I really don't want to purchase anything more for my legacy computers, so I won't be using the Enhanced Edition. (Is there a searchable database or TXT file on their disk?) Is there a searchable database or TXT file online?

Yours truly,

2017-08-12 07:54:19 UTC
Post by Oliver Schmidt
Hi James,
Post by James Davis
Anyone int=
erested in this project and/or the final results, please respond with exact=
ly what your interest is.
I'm interested in the results. I'd like to see a (of course
searchable) PDF.
Regards,
Oliver
Hi Oliver,

Yes, I am aware of "What's Where in the Apple - A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer - Including the Atlas & the Gazetteer - By William F. Luebbert." I downloaded it a few days ago. But, I was thinking that it was the original (red cover volume), "The Guide to What's Where in the Apple - A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert." I guess I didn't look into it far enough to realize that it is the third edition. I like that it is searchable.

The one that I was asking about is the original (green cover volume), "What'S Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert." I am making PDFs of it. Now that I know that the one you referenced and I downloaded is not the first volume, I will be making a PDF of my copy of the red cover volume, also. I shall upload the PDFs to Asimov soon. It is always good to have the older versions of documentation (books) available online also.

I am sorry, but I do not have an easy way to make the PDFs I create searchable. That is why I was going to create a TXT file of them, also--to have something to search through.

Yours truly,

James Davis
fadden
2017-08-12 13:35:37 UTC
IIRC, there's three different versions. (I have them all around here... somewhere.)
James Davis
2017-08-13 08:43:32 UTC
Post by fadden
IIRC, there's three different versions. (I have them all around here... somewhere.)
I count 4 versions, but the first two could be considered parts/volumes 1 and 2 of the whole book, which is what you are saying, right?

What's Where in the Apple
- A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer
- By William F. Luebbert
- Versions/Books:

1. The Guide to What's Where in the Apple
- A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer
<I will be uploading this to Asimov, later.>

2. What'S Where in the Apple
- An Atlas to the Apple Computer
<I will be uploading this to Asimov, sooner.>

3. What's Where in the Apple
- A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer
- Including the Atlas & the Gazetteer
<ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/What's%20Where%20in%20the%20Apple-A%20Complete%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apple%20Computer.pdf>

4. What’s Where in the Apple - Enhanced Edition
- Released by A.P.P.L.E. [~ Call-A.P.P.L.E.]
Anthony Ortiz

What say you veterans, would you consider this book a "must have"? If so I don't mind supporting the latest enhanced version, though it seems a little pricey at $69.95 (I always go hard-cover).
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-13 10:30:44 UTC
The latest edition took one year of Brian Wiser to clean/read proof and update, that is worth the price.

If I were you, I would buy this version.

Antoine (who owns one)
Anthony Ortiz
2017-08-13 11:31:09 UTC
Coming from you, Antoine, is all the validation I need; I'll buy one today, look forward to reading it!
Tom Porter
2017-08-13 13:00:11 UTC
Its the only Apple Reference book you truly won't out grow. I'm constantly flipping the pages...
John Brooks
2017-08-13 21:11:22 UTC
Post by James Davis
Post by fadden
[...]
I refer to it quite a lot. Particularly when disassembling programs to see what ROM calls they are making or zero page vars they are changing.

While I have the hardcover version of the Enhanced edition, I often need to text-search for things and then have to fall back to the older digital version. The callapple.org guys are thinking about making a digital searchable version in the future which I think would be ideal for my needs.

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
James Davis
2017-08-15 02:27:52 UTC
Hi All,

OK, I scanned the books into JPEGs and compiled them into PDFs. They are huge! Took approximately 1.5 hours to upload "What's Where in the Apple II.zip" (691 MB) to Asimov incoming last night. It contains the following Texts and PDFs:

[WWA - Alt-0] - All pages are oriented (in Portrait) for Printing !
[WWA - Alt-1] - 1st + Last sections' pages are oriented (in Portrait) for Reading !
[WWA - Alt-1] - Atlas + Gazetteer sections' pages are oriented (in Landscape) for Reading !
The Guide to What's Where in the Apple - A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert.pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert - Alt-0.pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert - Alt-1.pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert_(1st Section).pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert_(ATLAS Section Landscaped).pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert_(GAZETTEER Section Landscaped).pdf
What's Where in the Apple - An Atlas to the Apple Computer - By William F. Luebbert_(Last Section).pdf

Hopefully, the people at Asimov will get it/them redistributed and/or available soon. [Who are people at Asimov?]

The PDFs are not searchable. If anyone wants to make them so, feel free to do so. Then upload them to Asimov as Alt-2..n, please. I can send the JPEGs to anyone who wants them. They are also huge!--High quality, compression level 1, for the most part.

To John Brooks: The following PDF is searchable. Is it the one you are referring to as the older digital version? If so, Everyone else (all Apple II programmers), take note of this/that fact.

3. What's Where in the Apple
- A Complete Guide to the Apple Computer
- Including the Atlas & the Gazetteer
<ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/What's%20Where%20in%20the%20Apple-A%20Complete%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apple%20Computer.pdf>

Thanks to everyone who responded. I now know that there is a better version (#3) from which to build a database and an Equates text file. But it looks like the CallApple.Org guys may already be working on the database [idea] and have already made the Enhanced Version of the books.

Sincerely,

James Davis
bill.martens
Do keep in mind that WWA is still under copyright and as such, distribution is not permitted outside of the A.P.P.L.E. Distribution currently available. Any other distribution is subject to legal action.
bill.martens
2017-08-15 03:46:17 UTC

By saying that you are copying the book and distributing it, you are taking money out of the original copyright holders pockets and it is piracy. Also, it took more than two years worth of effort to have this produce. Note that this will not be accepted and quite frankly is detrimental to any for any further products being introduced.
James Davis
2017-08-15 05:45:28 UTC
Post by bill.martens
Do keep in mind that WWA is still under copyright and as such, distribution is not permitted outside of the A.P.P.L.E. Distribution currently available. Any other distribution is subject to legal action.
By saying that you are copying the book and distributing it, you are taking money out of the original copyright holders pockets and it is piracy. Also, it took more than two years worth of effort to have this produce. Note that this will not be accepted and quite frankly is detrimental to any for any further products being introduced.
OK Bill,

I sent the following email to ***@mail.com:

Gentlemen:

Please, delete and do not publish the "What's Where in the Apple II.zip" uploaded to your "ASIMOV" FTP site last night.

Sincerely yours,

2017-08-15 06:15:45 UTC
P.S. But I think the people at Asimov already did it, because it is not listed in their latest index dated tonight, and it is no longer in Asimov's incoming folder, nor is it in their miscellaneous documents folder with version #3.

Just so you know, the third book (with yellow-apple and red-orange cover) is already there, but not from me. It has no copyright date, but it is a later version than the two books I own, since it is a compilation of both of those into one book. The first book (with dark-green-apple and red cover) has no copyright at all, just the "all rights" statement, and the second book (with red-apple and green cover) has a copyright date of 1981, so it is 36 years old.
Anthony Ortiz
2017-08-15 23:20:39 UTC
For what it's worth, all this attention made me go out and buy a hardcover copy from their Lulu shop : http://www.lulu.com/shop/bill-martens-and-brian-wiser-and-william-f-luebbert-and-phil-daley/whats-where-in-the-apple-enhanced-edition-a-complete-guide-to-the-apple-ii-computer/hardcover/product-22897591.html

Given all the hype, I can't wait to read it!
James Davis
2017-08-16 01:54:39 UTC
Hey Bill,

It looks like the people at Asimov have removed the third edition also. That should make you happier, still. Do you own the copyrights to the original William F. Luebbert editions (#1 & #2)? Or does his family/survivors own them? He died May 20, 2017.

Also, would you like me to send you the JPEGs I made? They might have some notes that would be useful for editing any of your future editions.

Sincerely,