Terminal prog for standard ][e
Add Reply
Bobbi
2017-09-09 20:20:09 UTC
What good terminal programs are there for the standard (ie: unenhanced) ][e?

Everyone recommends ProTerm, but this is for *enhanced* //e only (at least the newer versions - maybe I can run an older one?)

I am currently using Ascii Express. It is fine at 300 baud, but drops characters after each newline at 1200 baud or higher (so not so 'Express' after all). I am using an Apple Super Serial card hooked to my Linux server via a USB-Serial adaptor.

I am hoping there is a *faster* terminal program out there. VT100 emulation would be nice too!
James Davis
2017-09-09 20:30:45 UTC
Post by Bobbi
What good terminal programs are there for the standard (ie: unenhanced) ][e?
Everyone recommends ProTerm, but this is for *enhanced* //e only (at least the newer versions - maybe I can run an older one?)
I am currently using Ascii Express. It is fine at 300 baud, but drops characters after each newline at 1200 baud or higher (so not so 'Express' after all). I am using an Apple Super Serial card hooked to my Linux server via a USB-Serial adaptor.
I am hoping there is a *faster* terminal program out there. VT100 emulation would be nice too!
Hi Bobbi,

Sorry, this is not an answer to your question. It is a question for you.

What USB-Serial adaptor are you using? Do you have a website address for who/what/where you got it from? Or, its name and model number so I can google-it?

Sincerely yours,

James Davis
Bobbi
2017-09-09 22:00:27 UTC
I bought a cheap one off of eBay ($6CDN). Works great for ADTPro.

I can send you the details privately if you like.
James Davis
2017-09-10 01:13:16 UTC
Post by Bobbi
I bought a cheap one off of eBay ($6CDN). Works great for ADTPro.
I can send you the details privately if you like.
Hi Bobbi,

Sure, if you don't want to post the details here publicly, send them to me privately.--(Reply to this privately.)

James Davis
Steve Nickolas
2017-09-09 22:34:14 UTC
Post by Bobbi
What good terminal programs are there for the standard (ie: unenhanced) ][e?
Everyone recommends ProTerm, but this is for *enhanced* //e only (at
least the newer versions - maybe I can run an older one?)
I am currently using Ascii Express. It is fine at 300 baud, but drops
characters after each newline at 1200 baud or higher (so not so
'Express' after all). I am using an Apple Super Serial card hooked to
my Linux server via a USB-Serial adaptor.
I am hoping there is a *faster* terminal program out there. VT100
emulation would be nice too!
Maybe Apple Access II? It's got VT100 and supports up to 9600, and afaict
has no problem with the original //e. (I've only actually used it on a
Platinum though; my testing was brief and with an emulator.)

-uso.
John Brooks
2017-09-10 00:52:37 UTC
Post by Bobbi
What good terminal programs are there for the standard (ie: unenhanced) ][e?
Everyone recommends ProTerm, but this is for *enhanced* //e only (at least the newer versions - maybe I can run an older one?)
I am currently using Ascii Express. It is fine at 300 baud, but drops characters after each newline at 1200 baud or higher (so not so 'Express' after all). I am using an Apple Super Serial card hooked to my Linux server via a USB-Serial adaptor.
I am hoping there is a *faster* terminal program out there. VT100 emulation would be nice too!
I would try Commworks. It is has a fast terminal mode (TTY, VT52, VT100) up to 9600 baud with a nice Appleworks-style UI. It runs under ProDOS on un-enhanced 128KB //e or better.

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/communications/CommWorks%20v1.3.dsk

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
Bobbi
2017-09-10 03:28:24 UTC
Thanks John - will give Commworks a whirl tomorrow!
Bobbi
2017-09-11 01:32:32 UTC
I gave Commworks a whirl. It is much better than Ascii Express - seems to work fine at 9600 baud. Thanks!
John Brooks
2017-09-11 02:14:21 UTC
Post by Bobbi
I gave Commworks a whirl. It is much better than Ascii Express - seems to work fine at 9600 baud. Thanks!
I helped Shawn Quick optimize the Commworks SSC driver for 9600 baud in 1986 before going to Datasoft in 1987.

There are only about 1000x 6502 cycles per byte at 9600 baud so it is hard to get the SSC driver, terminal emulation, screen display, and capture buffer code to run fast enough to avoid dropping characters.

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
6***@gmail.com
2017-09-11 07:52:05 UTC
ASCII Express is also for higher baud rates great, but you'll have to adjust it a bit. You can download the manual from asimov I think.
It's one of the best communication programs I ever saw.
Jorge
2017-09-11 10:39:01 UTC
The uart buffer helps somewhat
Bobbi
2017-09-11 12:29:41 UTC
1000 cycles per character is tight! The good thing is that once you get this working once, it is good for the next 30+ years :)
Jorge
2017-09-11 14:15:45 UTC
And using IRQs plus hardware flow control helps too. I made a networking card that run flawlessly @64kbaud, using a 6551 and that's got only a 2 bytes buffer, or just one depending on how you count them...
Steven Hirsch
2017-09-11 14:23:58 UTC
Post by Jorge
And using IRQs plus hardware flow control helps too. I made a networking
bytes buffer, or just one depending on how you count them...
Hardware flow control presumes that the peer implements it correctly. Over
the years I've seen way too many situations where that's not the case.
Jorge
2017-09-11 15:12:55 UTC
Post by Steven Hirsch
Hardware flow control presumes that the peer implements it correctly. Over
the years I've seen way too many situations where that's not the case.
Yes, it's a mess.

John Newcombe
I have used Modem Manager before as it works on a standard IIe and hat VT support.
Michael J. Mahon
2017-09-10 21:30:30 UTC
Post by Bobbi
What good terminal programs are there for the standard (ie: unenhanced) ][e?
Everyone recommends ProTerm, but this is for *enhanced* //e only (at
least the newer versions - maybe I can run an older one?)
I am currently using Ascii Express. It is fine at 300 baud, but drops
characters after each newline at 1200 baud or higher (so not so 'Express'
after all). I am using an Apple Super Serial card hooked to my Linux
server via a USB-Serial adaptor.
I am hoping there is a *faster* terminal program out there. VT100
emulation would be nice too!
One problem is the unenhanced //e--it had slow scrolling and poor interrupt
handling, both of which make high terminal data rates difficult.
Bobbi
2017-09-11 01:33:10 UTC
I may end up installing an enhancement kit in mine, if those are still available.