AppleWorks version detection?
2017-09-21 00:52:49 UTC
Hi All,

Is there any way to tell what AppleWorks version you're running (e.g., from within)?

James Davis
Hugh Hood
2017-09-21 04:02:29 UTC
Post by James Davis
Hi All,
Is there any way to tell what AppleWorks version you're running (e.g., from within)?
James Davis
James,

While AppleWorks is running, location $1003 contains the version byte
(AWVersion).

For example:

$33/51 = 5.1
$28/40 = 4.0
$1E/30 = 3.0
$16/22 = 2.1 (I'm not sure why it's 2.1 and not 2.2)

As you are aware, you can use UltraMacros to 'peek' this byte and
display the result:

<sa-A>: <all : x = peek $1003 : print x>!

There are other ways to read the value of $1003 while AppleWorks is
running, including from an Init or a TimeOut application, or from the
Ultra Debug screen, but I won't go into that here.

Hugh Hood
James Davis
2017-09-21 06:51:25 UTC
Thanks Hugh,

Is there any way to tell what AppleWorks version you're running from a catalog of its files? E.g., by file date or Aux Type?

I think I am running version 3 in AppleWin because I couldn't get version 5 to install, but I may be using the v5 one that was already ready to use on the disk image from Asimov. I don't remember. It doesn't have any enhancements like TimeOut or UltraMacros either. (God, I wish I could remember all the things I have forgotten how to do on an Apple II!)

James Davis
Hugh Hood
2017-09-21 15:22:51 UTC
James,

I'm not sure that file dates alone will reliably give you the AppleWorks
version number, simply because they seem to get modified, or at least mine
seem to have been.

{FWIW, AppleWorks 3.0 was initially released in 1989, and AppleWorks 5.x in
1994-1995}.

A better indicator in a catalog may be that in Version 5.1, the length of
APLWORKS.SYSTEM is 22K, whereas in Version 3.0, the length of
APLWORKS.SYS(TEM) is 17K.

I'm away from my Windows computer at the moment (currently on a Mac), but I
know that I've run 5.1 in AppleWin with the > 128K Aux Card enabled from the
command line.

Don't beat yourself up for forgetting a lot of this stuff. I look at code I
wrote a number of years ago and have very little memory of having done it.
Thank goodness I commented it well!

Hugh Hood
2017-09-21 16:32:43 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Don't beat yourself up for forgetting a lot of this stuff. I look at code I
wrote a number of years ago and have very little memory of having done it.
Thank goodness I commented it well!
/Oblg. "Memory is the second thing to go -- I'd tell you the first but I forgot it."

*ba dum tsh*
I am Rob
2017-09-21 20:34:05 UTC
Post by James Davis
Thanks Hugh,
Is there any way to tell what AppleWorks version you're running from a catalog of its files? E.g., by file date or Aux Type?
I think I am running version 3 in AppleWin because I couldn't get version 5 to install, but I may be using the v5 one that was already ready to use on the disk image from Asimov. I don't remember. It doesn't have any enhancements like TimeOut or UltraMacros either. (God, I wish I could remember all the things I have forgotten how to do on an Apple II!)
James Davis
If you are running the Appleworks program, you don't see the version number on the very first boot screen? Mine says v5.1.

Rob
James Davis
2017-09-22 23:06:37 UTC
Post by I am Rob
If you are running the Appleworks program, you don't see the version number on the very first boot screen? Mine says v5.1.
Thanks Rob,

That is what I needed to know/remember. I slowed AppleWin way down to half normal speed and was able to see the intro. splash screen (and pause it with the pause key). I had AppleWorks 3.0 installed. I have since replaced it with AppleWorks 5.1 (from Asimov).--[I put the "AppleWorks 5.1 Install.2mg" and then "AppleWorks 5.1 Program.2mg" (when asked) into AppleWin's HDD 2 and installed AW5 to my HD1 in AppleWin's HDD 1. Then I copied it over top of AW3 on my HD2, again in AppleWin's HDD 2.]

ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/integrated/appleworks/v5.1/AppleWorks%205.1%20Install.2mg
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/integrated/appleworks/v5.1/AppleWorks%205.1%20Program.2mg

Thanks (also) to Hugh Hood for your replies.