ALF MC16 compatible analog synthesizer (hybrid)
STYNX
2017-08-13 18:36:55 UTC
Hi,

i have begun to implement an idea that was on my mind for some years now :-)

http://www.applefritter.com/?q=content/alf-mc16-compatible-hybrid-synthesizer

-Jonas
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-13 21:02:13 UTC
That is cool, Jonas.
Count me in for one, please, and keep up the good work,

Antoine
STYNX
2017-08-14 16:15:17 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
That is cool, Jonas.
Count me in for one, please, and keep up the good work,
Antoine
I'm only making a few (less than 10) for myself and some friends (you included)

The CEM3396 chips are about $10/piece at the moment with some of them being duds.
Combined with the other chips it will result in a price of about $100 without shipping, assembly or testing.
A sales price would be about $200 and I wouldn't make anything with that ...

Its just a fun project. When im finished, I will provide all the schematics and layouts that anyone can make their own. It will have the option to use an external control-board with potentiometers or an DAC-Module that will allow software control. The 3 voices will be coupled (3 voice polyphonic) by the parameters but could be controlled individually. The individual programmability of each chip would need about 30 DAC channels ... to much for a single card (even with a sample-and-hold approach). Therefore I will implement a simple solution with expandable options (via headers) to add these software controls (io-select range).

Configurability by software could be done by a simple basic-script that sets the values for each parameter:

0. Waveform (for both oscillators A/B) 4 possible by 2bit select

1. Pulsewidth A
2. Pulsewidth B
3. Waveshape A
4. Waveshape B
5. Oscillator balance A/B
6. Filter Modulation (by oscillator A)
7. Filter Frequency
8. Filter Resonance

9. Gain (volume control)

All to be controlled by either analog input or software control by 8bit words.

... but I have to get there first :-P

-Jonas
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-14 16:57:01 UTC
That is really cool, thank you!

Antoine
STYNX
2017-08-14 19:47:53 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
That is really cool, thank you!
Antoine
I had this idea first in 2012 ...about 5 years ago :-) I don't think that I need another 5 years to finish this ... but you shouldn't expect anything final this year. I hope to have a 3 voice prototype ready next month. I will upload samples of the sound and music then. There might be some unknown details in the range the control voltages for the CEM3396 but I have to try out to know. I suspect that some inputs need -2.5V to +2.5V and others -2.5 to +5V but most need 0 to +5V.

-Jonas
cb meeks
2017-08-14 20:02:09 UTC
Post by STYNX
Hi,
i have begun to implement an idea that was on my mind for some years now :-)
http://www.applefritter.com/?q=content/alf-mc16-compatible-hybrid-synthesizer
-Jonas
That's pretty awesome! Where did you get that prototype board?

Also, let's see the solder job on the back. ;-D
STYNX
2017-08-19 10:41:01 UTC
Post by cb meeks
That's pretty awesome! Where did you get that prototype board?
eBay (basement hobbies I think)
http://www.applefritter.com/content/apple-ii-expansion-slot-perf-boardproto-card
Let's not :-)
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-19 11:30:22 UTC
The music is cool! At first, I thought aliens were invading France, then I was smiling at how good the music was.

Thank you, keep up the good work again!

Antoine
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-19 11:35:03 UTC
Is this Lens (chroma demo) revisited?
STYNX
2017-08-19 12:33:08 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Is this Lens (chroma demo) revisited?
Yes but one voice is missing. Its unedited "RUN ALENS" :-)

-jonas
STYNX
2017-08-19 10:36:24 UTC
here is a first impression:
https://soundcloud.com/vintage-micro-music/alf-mc96-test-2-voices-cem3396

2 of 3 voices, no dual VCO (each of the 3 CEM3396 has 2 coupled voices)

-Jonas
STYNX
2017-08-19 16:50:27 UTC
Post by STYNX
Hi,
i have begun to implement an idea that was on my mind for some years now :-)
http://www.applefritter.com/?q=content/alf-mc16-compatible-hybrid-synthesizer
-Jonas
3 voices implemented:
https://soundcloud.com/vintage-micro-music/sets/mc96-apple-ii-analog