A 80' Apple II BBS
Add Reply
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-03 04:41:16 UTC
A 80's Apple II BBS is on air:

a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502

The BBS is running on a real Apple IIe with a Doudisk. The Software is GBBS Pro V1.2.

The goal is to have a BBS in the style of the 80's.

Enjoy!
James Davis
You should get it put on the vintage computer bbs list: http://www.vintagecomputerbbslist.com/
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-04 04:11:01 UTC
Thanks for the link!
I posted a message to get it listed.
skipperdoodle1947
2017-06-04 12:29:29 UTC
There is also an 80s BBS mailing list, though it is not very active.
It is ***@yahoogroups.com

I am can't remember if you need to be given membership to the mailing list or not.
skipperdoodle1947
2017-06-04 12:34:01 UTC
There is also an 80s BBS mailing list, though it is not very active.
It is 80sBBS at yahoogroups (dot) com

I am can't remember if you need to be given membership to the mailing list or not.
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-05 09:22:03 UTC
Thanks for that information - I'll check that.
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-06 16:34:21 UTC
Added the first VisiCalc sheet from the book "Doing Business with VisiCalc" to the download section.
Denis Molony
2017-06-06 21:10:51 UTC
Has this book been scanned, or are the spreadsheets available anywhere? I'd like to use them to test my Visicalc emulator.
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-07 06:30:37 UTC
Hi Denis,

well, most of them I had sent to you in an email on disk images some weeks ago.

But you can also get easy an account on A 80's Apple II BBS.

After verifying your account you'll have access to the download section.

You can use:

An Apple II:
using f.e. ASCII Express Pro with the WiFi232 or tcpser on a PI makes you able to download the sheet's from the BBS.

or a modern machine, f.e. a MacBook:
using Terminal - Logon - X for Downloads - select the sheet you want - A for ASCII download - Return and the download starts - copy and paste the downloaded text into the .dsk you want to use.
Denis Molony
2017-06-07 07:08:04 UTC
Post by 6***@gmail.com
Hi Denis,
well, most of them I had sent to you in an email on disk images some weeks ago.
But you can also get easy an account on A 80's Apple II BBS.
After verifying your account you'll have access to the download section.
using Terminal - Logon - X for Downloads - select the sheet you want - A for ASCII download - Return and the download starts - copy and paste the downloaded text into the .dsk you want to use.
Ah, I didn't realise what book they came from. Thanks again for that, they are all working now.

Could you tell me how to connect to the BBS using terminal? I've never tried that before. I tried telnet (as a wild guess), but it gave me an error.
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-07 08:54:59 UTC
There are different ways to Logon A 80's Apple II BBS with Terminal on a Mac:

1.)
- open "Terminal"
- then press "⇧⌘N" for new command
- a window opens
- write "open telnet://a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502"
- press Return

2.)
- write into Notes "telnet://a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502"
- mark this
- click with two fingers on marked
- select: open URL
- allow Terminal to open
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-09 05:50:39 UTC
Added the next VisiCalc sheet to download section: A calculating recipes book.
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-15 13:03:09 UTC
VisiCalc sheet - House purchase comparison - now in downloads.
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-04 16:20:23 UTC
Added a Timemaster II H.O. to the System. Now A 80's Apple II BBS with real time.
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-07 14:37:28 UTC

Thank you all for making such a great BBS!
Jeff Ramsey
2017-07-08 22:23:26 UTC
Thank you for hosting such an awesome bbs! I signed on this morning for the first time. I'm user #88! And my bulletin is #103!
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-09 05:24:21 UTC
Hi Jeff, saw your Bulletin. Great that you logged on with your Apple IIe!

Welcome on board!
Thanks for being a member of A 80's Apple II BBS!
Enjoy the board.
Jeff Ramsey
2017-07-09 22:59:49 UTC
I have a few questions about how your connections work.

1) What hardware does your Apple II use to connect to the Internet?
2) Does it support multiple simultaneous users?

Reason I ask is that I was dreaming up things to do with this Laser 128 (IIc clone) that I recently acquired. One idea that I came up with was to to setup a MUD. If I setup a MUD, I will want it to be telnet based, and I would need to workout the networking connectivity.
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 09:11:49 UTC
Post by Jeff Ramsey
1) What hardware does your Apple II use to connect to the Internet?
A 80's Apple II BBS has the following components:

All built till 1985:
Apple IIe enhanced.
GBBS Pro V1.2 DOS3.3.
Disk interface card.
Timemaster II H.O..
Super Serial Card.
Apple Duodisk.

Necessary modern components:
A fan to cool the System.
Raspberry PI Model B.

The SSC is connected via an Serial to USB adapter to the PI, which is connected via WiFi to the router. Tcpser is running on the PI and emulates a Hayes Modem with 2400 baud (GBBS Pro V1.2 DOS3.3 allows in it's basic version max. 2400 baud - this is fine because A 80's Apple II BBS is a beginning 80's BBS-which is also the reason why I use 5.25 disks and no hard drive (CFFA)).
Post by Jeff Ramsey
2) Does it support multiple simultaneous users?
No, not so far. GBBS Pro V1.2 DOS3.3 offers 1 landline connection in it's basic version. But for the future I want to work on different modifications. Maybe there is a possibility to open the system for more members at the same time. My goal is to open a second line to the board with a real landline dial-up.

But I really want to offer a BBS with software and hardware of the beginning 80's - so there are limitations in doing too much.
At first I tried to use Networks II as BBS software. I set up a BBS with that great software, but the problem is that Networks II only accepts the Hayes Micromodem II and that had not the later AT commands that tcpser needs. Moreover I see no possibility to connect the Micromodem II card to the PI. So the result would have been a BBS that is only reachable via landline AND only with a few modems that can work with 300 baud which is the maximum that the Micromodem II offers.
James Davis
Couldn't you run multiple virtual Apple II's (AppleWin/Emulator Tasks?) on the Apple II Pi to Service multiple BBS users (e.g., like a Server) and not even need any real Apple II computers/hardware?
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 20:05:57 UTC
Post by James Davis
Couldn't you run multiple virtual Apple II's (AppleWin/Emulator Tasks?) on the Apple II Pi to Service multiple BBS users (e.g., like a Server) and not even need any real Apple II computers/hardware?
Yes, of course I could use emulators - but this is not what I want.

As the name "A 80's Apple II BBS" says - I want to offer a REAL Apple II BBS running on a real Apple II using real 5.25 disks. All authentic, original, pure real Apple II! :-)

Therefore are all used hardware parts made before 1985!

There are a lot of very good BBS systems out there that are running on emulators or linux systems. They are great and I like them!

But my goal with A 80's Apple II BBS really is to offer a special profiled BBS. A BBS as they were also running at the beginning of the 80's - the great Apple II time. A BBS that gives the people a place to talk, to download great stuff like VisiCalc sheets that are still very useful and to enjoy this unique atmosphere of the Apple II.

Apple II Forever!
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-10 20:32:46 UTC
We may have the chance to download the latest Apple II warez there!

ugly.pirate
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-10 20:56:51 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
We may have the chance to download the latest Apple II warez there!
ugly.pirate
And ironically pirates were responsible for _preserving_ software that would otherwise have been lost.

0 day warez? Phfft. Where is my 30 year warez? :-)
D Finnigan
Phfft. Where is Dr Tom Charles Turley? :-)
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-10 22:32:18 UTC
Polymorph
Phfft. Where is Quantum Cat? >:-P
James Davis
Cool! Sorry, I forgot that you already said something similar above. CRS!
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-12 06:33:14 UTC
A 80's Apple II BBS - Topical Topics - where to find them:

t***@gmail.com
2017-07-22 04:34:32 UTC
I can't connect for the last several days. Is the system down?
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-22 05:24:10 UTC
No, it is running.

But please excuse the discomfort!

I had problems with a client that should start tcpser when it stopped working. The client starts tcpser but sometimes with a long delay.

At the moment I'm on vacation - will be back at the beginning of the next week. From here I check the BBS with my IPhone and I saw that tcpser was down and then started again.

Excuse the trouble - all this makes me very uncomfortable - A 80's Apple II will run without breaks next week again perfectly all right!
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-26 16:35:51 UTC
I'm back from holiday - all problems are solved!

BBS is running perfectly all right!
6***@gmail.com
2017-07-29 13:29:09 UTC
Tested the Disktransfer with two Hayes Micromodem II fromm the disk:

Visicorp_Apple_II_disk_utilities_for_internal_use_only - wrote Bulletin #116 about on A 80's Apple II BBS.

https://archive.org/details/Visicorp_Apple_II_disk_utilities_for_internal_use_only
6***@gmail.com
2017-08-06 13:46:47 UTC
A 80's Apple II BBS is now running for two month's. In that time we got more than 550 calls and our member's wrote more than 130 bulletins!

Thank you for making such a great Apple II BBS!

Therefore the BBS is running on a real Apple II with real 5.25 disks we had to archive the first decade of bulletins.

Top Topics on the bulletin board can always be found in system news - just press "$" from the main menu.

Here is a short overview:

Top Topics on A 80’s Apple II BBS at Bulletin #:

Host a BBS with WiFi232?
Starting at Bulletin #15 f.

Paul Rickards, maker of the WiFi232, on „host a BBS with the WiFi232“
Bulletins #23 #36

Will WiFi232 production be stopped - article in Juiced.GS?
Starting at Bulletin #26 f., #40

French law to disconnect
Starting at Bulletin #37 f.

Visicorp Apple II Disk Utilities for internal use only
Bulletin #57

WiFi232 production
WiFi232 host a BBS
Telnet with just a serial cable
Starting at Bulletin #58 f.
6***@gmail.com
2017-08-19 07:29:15 UTC
Apple IIc Mobile With WiFi - project report at bulletin #91 f.

6***@gmail.com
2017-08-26 09:22:36 UTC
How To Set Up A BBS

Article about:

Internet-modem for your Apple II

Internet-Adress for your BBS

now in the General Files Section on A 80's Apple II BBS - telnet: a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502

6***@gmail.com
2017-09-06 19:52:48 UTC