FASTchip //e - Apple II 8bit accelerator - first hands-on-preview
Add Reply
Jorma Honkanen
2017-06-16 05:51:20 UTC
It's just posted to:
http://finapple.hho.fi/finapple/index.php/2017/06/15/im-going-fast-with-fastchip-e

The rotary know is really great feature, you can find the excat speed you find certain software/game to run in perfect speed. As well, possibility to run under 1 Mhz with those difficult shoot'em ups (if needed) is really nice. Support for ][+ and platinum //e should be available when it's available.

It's not offically available yet for purchase but should be during summer-fall of 2017 from Plamen Vaysilov / a2heaven.com
Steven Hirsch
2017-06-16 11:35:18 UTC
Post by Jorma Honkanen
http://finapple.hho.fi/finapple/index.php/2017/06/15/im-going-fast-with-fastchip-e
The rotary know is really great feature, you can find the excat speed you
find certain software/game to run in perfect speed. As well, possibility to
run under 1 Mhz with those difficult shoot'em ups (if needed) is really
nice. Support for ][+ and platinum //e should be available when it's
available.
It's not offically available yet for purchase but should be during
summer-fall of 2017 from Plamen Vaysilov / a2heaven.com
I would like to nominate Plamen for the Apple 2 Lifetime Achievement Award.

Nice work!
STYNX
2017-06-16 12:04:48 UTC
Post by Jorma Honkanen
http://finapple.hho.fi/finapple/index.php/2017/06/15/im-going-fast-with-fastchip-e
The rotary know is really great feature, you can find the excat speed you find certain software/game to run in perfect speed. As well, possibility to run under 1 Mhz with those difficult shoot'em ups (if needed) is really nice. Support for ][+ and platinum //e should be available when it's available.
It's not offically available yet for purchase but should be during summer-fall of 2017 from Plamen Vaysilov / a2heaven.com
I had problems with the Ramfast in combination with some accelerators. Michael Mengel fixed the problem with the RamFast and Ultrawarp (v1.91) a few years back. Im interested to see the behavior of the FastChip in this regard...

-Jonas
Hugh Hood
2017-06-16 13:26:28 UTC
Jorma,

Thanks for the review. Suddenly I feel 25 years younger and that's a
feeling of which I approve!

I'm hopeful that the II+ support includes the ability to use the
FASTchip with the Saturn 128K card (and Ian's new clone).

I'd still use it on a IIe, but I've got _one_ legacy program that uses
the Saturn card that I'd really like to see run at 16.6 MHz. I had
spoken to Plamen about that many weeks ago and he told me he'd consider it.

BTW, what is keeping the current firmware from working with the Platinum
IIe? I never realized that the Platinum model might require special
treatment.

Hugh Hood
Antoine Vignau
2017-06-17 03:33:29 UTC
Hugh,
FASTChip //e runs fine in a Platinum //e (I do my tests with that machine)
It is the combination of the FASTChip //e with some cards I use that does not work.

Antoine
D Finnigan
2017-06-16 16:18:50 UTC
Post by Jorma Honkanen
It's not offically available yet for purchase but should be during
summer-fall of 2017 from Plamen Vaysilov / a2heaven.com
I hope this utterly destroys the market for used Transwarp, etc.
accelerators for 8-bit Apple. >:->
--
]DF$
Apple II 40th Anniversary User's Guide:
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
James Davis
2017-06-17 08:00:58 UTC
Post by Jorma Honkanen
http://finapple.hho.fi/finapple/index.php/2017/06/15/im-going-fast-with-fastchip-e
The rotary know is really great feature, you can find the excat speed you find certain software/game to run in perfect speed. As well, possibility to run under 1 Mhz with those difficult shoot'em ups (if needed) is really nice. Support for ][+ and platinum //e should be available when it's available.
It's not offically available yet for purchase but should be during summer-fall of 2017 from Plamen Vaysilov / a2heaven.com
Here are the YouTube (videos) links:

w***@gmail.com
2017-08-06 22:31:53 UTC
Ordered one today
Steven Hirsch
2017-08-06 23:27:25 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Ordered one today
Blast. Out of stock already.
skipperdoodle1947
2017-08-08 15:27:22 UTC
Post by Steven Hirsch
Post by w***@gmail.com
Ordered one today
Blast. Out of stock already.
I wonder if this was a one-time production run, or if he will be making more.
Hugh Hood
2017-08-08 18:32:15 UTC
Skip,

From what I've read, he'll be making more shortly, Lord willing.

Talk about the proverbial 'Land Office Business'!

I had written to Plamen to request Saturn/Titan 128K RAM card compatibility
in the FastChip //e, and he assured me that he would consider it, but so far
I haven't seen anything on it. I hope it's still a consideration for him.

Apparently he's also working on a IIGS accelerator, and I'm hoping it will
be compatible with DMA devices, like the RamFAST.

I'm amazed that he has time to do any of this advanced Apple II development
since it appears he has a full-time job, and that job sounds much more
responsible and demanding than just watching paint dry.

Hugh Hood
skipperdoodle1947
I signed up for his newsletter. Hopefully I will hear if/when he has more of these for sale. :)
Steven Hirsch
2017-08-11 15:36:40 UTC
Post by skipperdoodle1947
Post by skipperdoodle1947
Post by Steven Hirsch
Blast. Out of stock already.
I wonder if this was a one-time production run, or if he will be making more.
Thanks Hugh,
I signed up for his newsletter. Hopefully I will hear if/when he has more of these for sale. :)
Unfortunately Plamen has not responded to any of my e-mail attempts.
Newsletter may be the only/best way to know.
p***@controlmicro.net
2017-08-12 21:08:44 UTC
To Steven Hirsch

Strange , do you check spam folder ?

I respond on any Message in my mailbox .
Steven Hirsch
2017-08-13 12:45:21 UTC
Post by p***@controlmicro.net
To Steven Hirsch
Strange , do you check spam folder ?
I respond on any Message in my mailbox .
Yes, I did check. Not sure what happened to the reply. I just wanted to know
when the FASTchip //e will be available again.