Transwarp GS, despite upgrades, still unstable any faster than 7mhz
Matthew Power
2018-02-03 02:20:21 UTC
This post is asking for anyone with experience over-clocking a IIgs via a Transwarp GS. Over time I've done the following to my ROM01 IIgs with the Transwarp GS:

- Installed the Universal PSU Kit from ReactiveMicro

- Installed a fan onto the PSU case blowing inwards

- Have a laptop cooler fan pulling the air out of the top of the IIgs

- Replaced the CPU on the TWGS with a W65C816S6TPLG-14

- Installed the ByteBoosters DarkCache 32k Cache Board with version 1.8

- Installed the ByteBoosters High Speed GAL Set

- Per instructions, cut the bow-tie connections TC4 and TC5 on the TWGS

Using the TransWarp GS Reporter NDA, it shows the 32kb, and version 1.8 as well. But the system locks up with any oscillator faster than the original one that came with the TWGS. To be specific, system boots at 10mhz but locks up after maybe 2 minutes. At 12 and 12.5 mhz, the system boots but freezes even faster. Nothing but boot errors with anything faster than 12.5 mhz.

Some things I wonder: Maybe I didn't cut TC4 and TC5 deep enough? I think I did. Should I buy a new cable to connect to the motherboard? Should I apply dielectric grease to all pins to improve flow? Am I buying the wrong oscillators? Did I buy the wrong CPU?

Regarding heat, it's non-existent. The fan setup keeps things from getting even barely warm to the touch.

I'm stumped.
James Davis
Radio Frequency Interference inside your Apple IIGS, maybe?
Matthew Power
2018-02-03 05:26:01 UTC
I've kept the shield in the cover intact.
James Davis
2018-02-04 03:05:24 UTC
I was thinking that RFI from the internal overclocked TWGS card could be received by the internal traces (wires = antennas) on your motherboard and other cards causing them to malfunction somehow. Just an idea! Something that may not have been considered in the original design of the Apple II computers.
Steven Hirsch
2018-02-04 14:15:02 UTC
Post by James Davis
Post by Matthew Power
Post by James Davis
Radio Frequency Interference inside your Apple IIGS, maybe?
I've kept the shield in the cover intact.
I was thinking that RFI from the internal overclocked TWGS card could be
received by the internal traces (wires = antennas) on your motherboard and
other cards causing them to malfunction somehow. Just an idea! Something
that may not have been considered in the original design of the Apple II
computers.
Another possibility is that a critical logic part is at the wrong end of the
process window for speed. There's a reason the TWGS production clock speed
was relatively conservative. A large number of TWGS units may be amenable to
overclocking, but that doesn't imply that all are.
Polymorph
2018-02-04 23:02:17 UTC
Post by Matthew Power
- Installed the ByteBoosters DarkCache 32k Cache Board with version 1.8
A number of users (me included) did not get very good results with the ByteBoosters cache card. In my case I was able to get much faster clock speeds using the original 8k AE cache card. But I can run my card at about 13.75MHz (IIRC) and it is stable (I'm still using the ByteBoosters card until I can replace it with soemthing better). With the stock 8k AE cache I was able to obtain stable clock speeds of about 16MHz (might have even been 16.5MHz now I think about it).

Anyway, if you can get a different cache card I would recommend it, but it doesn't explain why you can't get over 7MHz.

Have you tried removing all of the other cards from your IIgs when testing? If not, it would be worthwhile just to see if any other hardware is contributing to the crashes.

There are other (somewhat) hardcore mods you can do to the card as well - namely replacing the logic chips on the back of the card. There was a thread on here a year or so ago about this, so if you search c.s.a2 you should find the relavent details.

Good luck,
Mike
Matthew Power
2018-02-06 02:30:39 UTC
Post by Polymorph
Good luck,
Mike
I actually had the exact same problem with two other 8k cards that I tried. Granted they both have the 1.5 ROM soldered on. I have a 1.8 chip that I could try to solder on, but I'll need quite a bit of practice. That's why I bought the ByteBoosters 32k with 1.8 installed.

I did do a close visual inspection of the capacitors on my TWGS. They *look* fine, no bulging.

Matthew