Plain text editor for ProDOS?
Bobbi
2017-09-15 01:57:05 UTC
Here I am again begging for advice on software ...

What are the best plain text editors for ProDOS? For editing source code, for example. Ideally, something that can run on unenhanced IIe.

Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
Hugh Hood
2017-09-15 02:23:10 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Here I am again begging for advice on software ...
What are the best plain text editors for ProDOS? For editing source code, for example. Ideally, something that can run on unenhanced IIe.
Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
Sure, especially AppleWorks 5.1 with the InitPack 2017.

Save as:

AppleWorks Word Processor
or
Apple Text (CR Line Enders)
or
MS-DOS Text (CR+LF Line Enders)
or
Unix Text (LF Line Enders)
or
Merlin Source Text (high ASCII, etc.)

Even the earlier versions of AppleWorks, though, will let you print to
an (Apple) text file.

If you've got at least a 256K Apple II, AppleWorks 5.1 can't be beaten.
Add the InitPack, and you're set.

Hugh Hood
Hugh Hood
2017-09-15 02:25:45 UTC
Bobbi,

Sorry, I really should read before posting. You'll need an enhanced
Apple II *and* 256K for AppleWorks 5.1.

Hugh Hood
<http://home.earthlink.net/~hughhood/appleworksinitpack/WPSetSave20-560408.png>
Hugh Hood
John Brooks
2017-09-15 03:16:10 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Here I am again begging for advice on software ...
What are the best plain text editors for ProDOS? For editing source code, for example. Ideally, something that can run on unenhanced IIe.
Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
Kyan Pascal has a nice editor and shell, and works on an un-enhanced //e:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/programming/pascal/kyan/

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
I am Rob
2017-09-15 03:27:44 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Here I am again begging for advice on software ...
What are the best plain text editors for ProDOS? For editing source code, for example. Ideally, something that can run on unenhanced IIe.
Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
BeagleWrite works on unenhanced and has multiple tab stops.

Rob
Steve Nickolas
2017-09-15 08:03:01 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Here I am again begging for advice on software ...
What are the best plain text editors for ProDOS? For editing source
code, for example. Ideally, something that can run on unenhanced IIe.
The only one I'm familiar with is FrEdWriter (or perhaps Freewriter upon
which it was based).
Post by Bobbi
Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
Yeah, but it's a dance.

-uso.
Hugh Hood
2017-09-15 14:44:26 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Bobbi
Can Appleworks save in plain text somehow?
Yeah, but it's a dance.
-uso.
It's only a dance if you're *NOT* running Version 5.1.

In 5.1, if you load a TEXT file, it saves as a TEXT file, by default.
Similarly, if you want to change the type of line enders, or convert it to
a AWP file, it's now a simple <OA-N><OA-RTN> key sequence away.

Hugh Hood
Delfs
2017-09-15 11:15:16 UTC
Apple Writer II is always my go-to. The ProDOS version 2.0 is what you are looking for. I assume you have an 80 column card.
Jorge
2017-09-15 11:42:33 UTC
Post by Delfs
Apple Writer II is always my go-to. The ProDOS version 2.0 is what you are looking for. I assume you have an 80 column card.
And he's got a youtube channel:

Jorge.
Bobbi
2017-09-15 15:01:56 UTC
Maybe I will give Apple Writer II a whirl (have only ever tried the earlier DOS version.) I have a 128K 80 column unenhanced (ie: 6502) IIe.