All things ,Corvus and Constellation
jakef
2009-05-16 17:33:08 UTC
Hi everybody.!

I've seen some recent postings to this group regarding Corvus and
Constellation.

I'm trying to peace together a copy of the 1st network I built in high
school back in the 80's,

I've got most of the parts and some of the software.

I've got an apple][ and an Apple ][e, a bunch of transporter cards,
apple and PC, a 10g Corvis omin drive.

I have the Omin driver up run running on dos 3.3 and it boot's with
out a floppy, I love that thing.!

Oh, and the sound it makes... wow..! ;-)

any ways I'm desperate to find the Constellation software, and any
other software for the Omin driver. PC or Apple.

I was hoping some one hear would be able and willing to help me out ,
or at least push me in the right direction, I've tryed emailing all
the contacts I could find from past post but with no luck.

really hoping A2Aviator might be able to clue me in.

I have a bunch, or maybe I should say I have a few things (as I see
you measure stuff in cubic feet around hear;-) I would be willing to
trade for the help, "clock cards, speech card you can dial into with a
phone, and some odd video card and keyboard card, etc",

So if any one out there could toss me a bone or a kick in the right
direction, you would make some random stranger very very happy.

chers.

jake-F
jakef
2009-05-16 17:35:28 UTC
Also,

I plan to create a web site to document and make available all my
findings, just to give a little bit back, in my own way .

-F
schmidtd
2009-05-16 17:47:00 UTC
Post by jakef
any ways I'm desperate to find the Constellation software, and any
other software for the Omin driver. PC or Apple.
I found a service manual on Asimov - it seems to mention that there's
formatting software on the interface board...?
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/hardware/Corvus
11-20MB Drive - Service Manual.pdf
A2Aviator
2009-05-16 19:20:31 UTC
Like what? How to connect them? etc?

I have about 40 of the Transporter Cards - and even the Apple ///
driver, and Apple /// cards.

As well, two for Mac, one for Atari and a couple for MS DOS.

Did you install Constellation II? I have the ProDOS, Pascal, and DOS
3.3 installs. I think there's CP/M too.

You don't need 'special' stuff to connect them up, RCA splitters and
Y's from Radio Shack will do just fine. I can explain that with a
diagram if needed. There's no worry about the polarity. You can pull
the cable off mid-transmission and flip it over, put it back. It keeps
on going.
jakef
2009-05-16 21:09:59 UTC
WOW.!

I have the drive working off an appe][e and boots into Dos3.3,

What I need is the Constellation software. I have the apple ][ cards
and one for the PC, but no software at all.

I've hunted and hunted but was only able to find the "basic untilites"
disk for the Corvus HD,

if you have the Prodos installs I would love to see if I can bring it
up to that, in stead of the Dos3.3.

I would like to try and wire it up by my self, just to see if I can do
it, that's the fun for me. It's the software I just can't find.

I assume all your parts and card's etc are spoken for, but if you
wanted to sale any of it I would be very interested, especially the
Mac card.

if you could help me with getting the software, any and all, (so I can
Archie it on a Corvus site, that is if it's fallen into the open
domain licensing)

I have a few odds and ends if your interested in. (I'm really only
intrested in the Corvus and constellation network and harddisk ) some
of them seem a bit odd, so they should go to some one who has an
interest.

so if you could help me get a copy of the Constellation software for
apple and pc ,or ANY software you have or know of, it would help me
greatly.

I think I have all the Doc's for everything , or all the Docs I could
find on line , and there was a lot.

thanks for the time on this.

the polarity on the wiring seems odd, but then I always though it was
voodoo or a cures that would always brake the connection boxes ;-)
thanks for the tip on the RCA.

jake
on going.
northsongs
2009-05-16 22:50:12 UTC
Post by jakef
[...]
Okay, don't know if this helps or not, but I have a Corvus 11mb drive,
the corvus hd interface card for Apple II, and 5 or 6 CORVUS 5 1/4"
diskettes for the drive system. I believe there was a pascal version,
a cpm version and dos 33, with some diagnostics, also, etc. I'll have
to dig them up, but I had them out a few months back and they all
booted up fine (the diskettes, that is). I couldn't get the drive to
boot, but it does turn on, just doesn't seem to get past the flashing
fault light. Maybe just a bad case of stickum ? Anyway, are these the
floppies you are looking for? If so, I can shoot you copies if you
want. Just let me know.
northsongs
jakef
2009-05-16 22:59:06 UTC
I think these are for the HD, I have only one of them the apple
version,

I would love a copy of them, any format would be grate.

if you like I might be able to help you get your drive working,

that flashing state was how mine was, but I was able to recover it.

more then happy to relate how I got mine working.

do any of the labels have Constellation on them?

thanks.

Jake-F
northsongs
northsongs
2009-05-16 23:14:27 UTC
Post by northsongs
Post by jakef
[...]
Yes, the diskettes are for the drive, not the network software. And
for the drive, it worked fine quite a few years back, then sat for too
long. If you have any tips you'd like to share, I'd sure listen and
try them out. I'd love to get this thing going again. shoot me an
email if you want with where to send the diskettes and I'll get copies
off to you. Thanks, my friend!
Dave
jakef
2009-05-16 23:28:41 UTC
jake harwood
5451 Sobrante ave
El Sobrante CA, 94803

I shot you a like to my Corvus stuff,

hear is my hints file, (I should clean it up so it's readable.)

When your ready to try and bring it up again shoot me an email, and I
would be happy to help if I can.

I know what some of the patterns of the lights mean.

if you want to send me dsk images of your disks that might be better
then smail.

thanks looking forward to the software

jake-F
jakef
2009-05-17 01:40:29 UTC
might have found some one who has,

if that might help any one like me know and I'll try and get them to
you.

any one know what the rule of thumb is for old software like this?
(I'm guessing no one really cares, and I have been looking for any one
who might care. ='-)

also I have some stuff hear. (gos up and down now and then.)

-F

DSW AP-APPLE 2 SOFTWARE PACKAGE
#1 corvus1.dsk AP-DIAGNOSTICS Pascal 1.1 volume name DIAG:
#2 corvus2.dsk AP-CONSTELLATION UTILITIES Basics Dos 3.3
#3 corvus3.dsk AP-UTIITIES Dos 3.3

NSW AP-APPLE 2 NETWORK SOFTWARE PACKAGE
#4 corvus4.dsk AP-CONSTELLATION UTILITIES Pascal 1.1 volume name
CONST:
#5 corvus5.dsk AP-UTILITES Vol 1/2 Pascal 1.1 volume name CORVUS1:
#6 corvus6.dsk AP-UTILITITES Vol 2/2 Pascal 1.1 volume name CORVUS2:
jakef
2009-05-17 03:36:55 UTC
full labels
DSW AP-APPLE 2  SOFTWARE PACKAGE
#2 corvus2.dsk   AP-CONSTELLATION UTILITIES Basics Dos 3.3
#3 corvus3.dsk   AP-UTIITIES  Dos 3.3
NSW AP-APPLE 2 NETWORK SOFTWARE PACKAGE
#4 corvus4.dsk   AP-CONSTELLATION UTILITIES Pascal 1.1 volume name
AP UTILITIES - VOL 1 of 2
PASCAL 1.1 - RELEASE 22-DEC-82 P/N: 8100-09676 REV: B

AP UTILITIES - VOL 2 of 2
PASCAL 1.1 - RELEASE 21-NOV-82 P/N: 8100-09677 REV: A

AP UTILITIES - BASICS - DOS 3.3
RELEASE: 21-NOV-82 P/N: 8100-09675 REV: A

AP II CP/M UTILITIES
PASCAL 1.1
RELEASE DATE: 12-JAN-83
P/N: 8100-08902 REV: C

AP II CP/M UTILITIES
FOR CP/M 2.2
RELEASE DATE: 12-JAN-83
P/N: 8100-09012 REV:B

AP DIAGNOSTICS
PASCAL 1.1
RELEASE: 22-DEC-82 P/N: 8100-09678 REV: B
shadoooo
2009-05-18 16:55:17 UTC
Hello.
I also have a working Corvus HD.
I have original pack with manuals and disks, but I miss some of your
list, and the other I have are older.
Could we share the disk images?
jakef
2009-05-18 18:54:53 UTC
sure thing.!

you should have them in your gmail box now, posting hear encase your
not that that address,

would really like to get copys from you as well. (any format will do.)

Still witting to hear from A2Aviator , as he seams to be the man with
all the software and hard ware, I'm going to guess he is at Kfest.

more soon, also I sent you a like to what I have so far, manuals etc.
-F
Steven Hirsch
2009-05-19 11:31:29 UTC
Post by jakef
Still witting to hear from A2Aviator , as he seams to be the man with
all the software and hard ware, I'm going to guess he is at Kfest.
If you are stuck for anything, please contact me privately. I'm the
self-annointed "King of Corvus", legendary at least to the end of my block for
the size and completeness of my collection.

Seriously, I have just about anything you'd need to use Corvus hardware with
Apples, including the elusive Constellation III software release (that I paid
serious $$$s for in the early 90s). For the right price (chip cost +
shipping) I can even burn an updated boot PROM that gives IIGS compatibility
to the Transporter interface.

In return, would appreciate any tips regarding the whereabouts of:

o Corvus Z80 "Universal" Transporter

This was a board they produced for evaluation purposes. It sandwiched between
a Z80 and its socket to support Omninet access from any CP/M machine (with
driver code configured and installed).

o Corvus Tandy CoCo Transporter

Interface for TRS80 Color Computer. They exist - I've seen pictures.

Steve
A2Aviator
2009-05-19 15:31:39 UTC
In perusing the thread briefly I got the impression that a ton of
people came forward with disk images, etc.

I'm stuck with moving, hopefully it's mostly done this week.

I have the Corvus stuff stuck off to the side, I had to actually make
a service call last month to get one going again, too.

Interesting, what version is on the IIgs firmware ROM? I don't seem
to remember having any issues with them.

Aside from the Z80 and Tandy transporters, and an Apple II version of
Constellation III - I have a Macintosh disk set that I too, succumbed
to the great money extraction and paid for. But I never did get the A2
DOS 3.3 / A2 Pro installation for Constellation III - I just merged
them together.

merbe
Steven Hirsch
2009-05-19 16:20:32 UTC
Post by A2Aviator
Interesting, what version is on the IIgs firmware ROM? I don't seem
to remember having any issues with them.
It has something to do with twiddling the speed register, I think. Been a
long time since I fussed with it, so it may be addressing something else.
Post by A2Aviator
Aside from the Z80 and Tandy transporters
Are you saying you _have_ these? If so, we need to talk privately.
Post by A2Aviator
- I have a Macintosh disk set that I too, succumbed
to the great money extraction and paid for. But I never did get the A2
DOS 3.3 / A2 Pro installation for Constellation III - I just merged
them together.
You have a Mac interface? This will definitely be an interesting
conversation. Can you ping me in e-mail?

Steve
jakef
2009-05-19 17:44:58 UTC
And all this time I thought you were at Kfest,

THanks for taking the time to set aside the Corvus stuff, if you were
local I would help you move. ;-)

Yes I have been able to exchange with 2 other users.

one had a set of disk I already had, except a few extra files I was
missing.

and the other had a different set of disks, that was a grate find.

it has allowed me to add access control and user accounts.

Now having read the manual, I dont think my Corvus 5mg disk is capable
of hosting the ominet network.

this is more for the group, how many and what types were their of
Constellation.?

what was this A2 Pro release.? (ProDos?)

I've been scratching my head on the upgrade from Dos3.3 to ProDos.

-F
merbe
Fishface1
2009-06-16 00:07:30 UTC
Posted this to the king but now to all of you,

looking for a corvus HD power supply,

also looking for a multiplexor unit and a mirror card.

If you can help please let me know!

Thanks!
Steve
n***@hotmail.com
2009-05-19 19:08:36 UTC
Post by jakef
sure thing.!
you should have them in your gmail box now, posting hear encase your
not that that address,
would really like to get copys from you as well. (any format will do.)
Still witting to hear from A2Aviator , as he seams to be the man with
all the software and hard ware, I'm going to guess he is at Kfest.
more soon, also I sent you a like to what I have so far, manuals etc.
-F
Any chance these disk images can get posted to an archive such as
Asimov?
jakef
2009-05-19 19:28:32 UTC
Post by n***@hotmail.com
Post by jakef
sure thing.!
you should have them in your gmail box now, posting hear encase your
not that that address,
would really like to get copys from you as well. (any format will do.)
Still witting to hear from A2Aviator , as he seams to be the man with
all the software and hard ware, I'm going to guess he is at Kfest.
more soon, also I sent you a like to what I have so far, manuals etc.
-F
Any chance these disk images can get posted to an archive such as
Asimov?
Yes, of course.

I'm not a heave apple enthuses, and have see a number of the archives.
I was not sure how best to go about that and going to spend some time
to read upon it.

I'll look at Asimov 1st.

Jake-F
jakef
2009-05-21 01:29:29 UTC
I just posted the Constellation III Pro Software to mrf . freek .
net / Corvus

I have not labeled them yet, I'll try and get that done tonight.

I seemed to have wedged by drive, messing around.

Please keep sending me your disk images and anything ells you may
have.

I have found out that my driver is one of the earlier drives, H or B-
series.

so I think I'm now looking for Omninet Disc Server or Corvus
Multiplexer , they might be fact be the same thing. (just in case some
one has one but no drive)

also I'm looking Constellation I and II (not sure if there was a I ),
As I have an older drive any of the earlier stuff is of grate interest
to me.

Some one should be getting me the Mac version of Constellation III,
but not sure when.

I have not RTFM yet, on the Corvus Multiplexer yet, but I'm hopping it
may be feasible to fashion or commission a crude replacement. If it's
in the manuel I'll find it, but if any one has any insight I would
love to hear it.

Then again that last bit may be way off base as I'm still researching
the topic.

Again I want to say thanks to every one for the help and hand outs,
it's making a few of us who have been looking for forever, very
happy.!

I'll try and get this stuff up to Asimov tonight.

-F
A2Aviator
2009-05-21 04:56:35 UTC
I found several large binders on Corvus stuff, as well- the service
manuals and some hand drawn schematics for the Corvus Transporter.

The service manuals are mostly the older wide ribbon cable network
stuff, and the Corvus Concept.

I have a working 8" 20 Meg Corvus drive as well as several OmniDrives
in various states of 'OMG', and one that still has one of my BBS's on
it, a T-Net system.

I'm fairly convinced that the stuff is way more than abandoned and
will end up making a set of pages with it all on it somewhere.

I've actually had a service call on a Corvus drive .. in March of this
year. Amazingly, a place is still running on them. Barely. :)

I have a stash of ST-225s that I have been putting in the drives to
keep his stuff going. They work as the 11MB model, as well as I have
few of the IMI and Rodime drives.
Steven Hirsch
2009-05-21 12:02:11 UTC
I'd be very interested in a scan of those schematics when/if you get the chance.
jakef
2009-05-21 18:16:23 UTC
Post by Steven Hirsch
I'd be very interested in a scan of those schematics when/if you get the chance.
As would I, just trying to catch anything I can. (Sorry if it seems
like I'm the new guy, just asking for hand outs.)

also, I just saw this on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200343842441

not 1 but 2 (I cant believe this) HD 6 and 10mb, drives. (neither
with the omni net stuff on board)

I dropped a bid on them, but only interested in them as parts or to
swap for the "disk server" or something.

I'm pretty sure they will go for more then I put down.

-F
David Wilson
2009-06-16 08:05:43 UTC
Going through my collection of A2 cards I came across two marked
Corvus.

CORVUS SYSTEMS REV 1 on front
SEIKO AAF on rear
two 17 pin SIL headers
A4.7 on EPROM label

CORVUS SYSTEMS MADE IN USA REV B (C) 1980
SEIKO AAF on rear
34 pin DIL header
A4.7 on EPROM label

What do I have?
Steven Hirsch
2009-06-17 01:17:42 UTC
Going through my collection of A2 cards I came across two marked
Corvus.
CORVUS SYSTEMS REV 1 on front
SEIKO AAF on rear
two 17 pin SIL headers
A4.7 on EPROM label
CORVUS SYSTEMS MADE IN USA REV B (C) 1980
SEIKO AAF on rear
34 pin DIL header
A4.7 on EPROM label
What do I have?
Two Corvus "flat cable" drive interfaces for connecting A2 to the older B or H
disk servers.
David Wilson
2009-06-16 08:05:43 UTC

What do I have?
r***@gmail.com
2013-09-30 16:05:33 UTC
A2Aviator: you mentioned you have an Atari interface. Any chance it's still available?

Here is my system -

Steven Hirsch
2013-09-30 22:41:53 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
A2Aviator: you mentioned you have an Atari interface. Any chance it's still available?
Here is my system - http://youtu.be/5844LJhuNCg
Hi, Robert.

I have an Atari interface here as well. Not sure if the support software I
have is up to date or not. Do you have any way to image your system
diskettes? I have an adapter that lets me write most Atari formats by
attaching a drive to my Linux box.
r***@gmail.com
2013-10-01 04:50:03 UTC
I can always make actual copies and snail mail them.

Looks like I have Atari Utilities from 09-20-82 & 01-14-83

Steve Nickolas
2013-10-01 08:54:31 UTC
Speaking of Corvus Constellation, and this is probably out in left field.

Back in middle school, we had a computer network of Apple //e clients,
that booted into some Corvus system. It had a bunch of different stuff in
DOS 3.3 and ProDOS disk images, and selectable from a "password" screen or
from a second menu system. Lots of MECC stuff too.

...kind-of wonder if it could be done with a generic ProDOS block device.

-uso.
Steven Hirsch
2013-10-01 11:52:09 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Speaking of Corvus Constellation, and this is probably out in left field.
Back in middle school, we had a computer network of Apple //e clients, that
booted into some Corvus system. It had a bunch of different stuff in DOS 3.3
and ProDOS disk images, and selectable from a "password" screen or from a
second menu system. Lots of MECC stuff too.
...kind-of wonder if it could be done with a generic ProDOS block device.
There are a number of folks in the A2 world with Corvus disk systems. While
not commonplace, they aren't (or at least weren't) all that rare since schools
bought a lot of them. Corvus support for other old 8-bit machines is a very
different story - Robert's Atari interface is only the third I've seen in all
the years I've been collecting Corvus gear.

While nothing is impossible, it would be stretch to adapt the Corvus storage
drivers and control environment to a conventional block device.

Steve
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-05 22:51:20 UTC
I have a Corvus Hard Drive 20 MB H-Series. I would like to check the firmware but I do not have the disks from Corvus.

According to this manual

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/corvus/service/7100-04704_H-Series_Drives_Service_Apr83.pdf

I need the version later than April 1983.

Does anyone know where to get the disk image of these disk fro Basic?
Antoine Vignau
2017-10-06 10:10:12 UTC
I've put my imaged Corvus disks at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/corvus/
I think they are older than those you are looking for but we never know...
av
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 12:25:21 UTC
Thanks a lot Antoine!

I'll check them out.

Meanwhile I found this http://apple2online.com/web_documents/CORVUS01.zip from 1.April 1983 - I think it is the mentioned one from the manual. But so far it does not boot in Virtual II ...
Steven Hirsch
2017-10-06 13:21:33 UTC
Post by 6***@gmail.com
Thanks a lot Antoine!
I'll check them out.
Meanwhile I found this http://apple2online.com/web_documents/CORVUS01.zip
from 1.April 1983 - I think it is the mentioned one from the manual. But so
far it does not boot in Virtual II ...
I sent you private e-mail with a renamed tarball as attachment. Please let me
know if you did not receive this?
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 13:37:14 UTC
Thanks Steven! I got it! Send you an answer via email.
Antoine Vignau
2017-10-06 18:06:44 UTC
If you are exchanging the missing disk, please send it to me as well to upload it to the Apple II documentation project, plpplllleeeeeaaasssee

Antoine
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 20:38:56 UTC
If I find the disk I will send it to you Antoine - no question.

Unfortunately it was not in Steven package - but again, thanks a lot for that!

So far I found the following: I need the

"Dealer Service Diagnostic Utilities disk" - must be past 1.April 1983, for the firmware check.

Would be also very happy if someone has the manuals:

"Disk Systems Installation Guide" and "Disk System User Guide" for the Corvus H-Series Hard Disks.

Manuals and disk seem not preserved so far...
Antoine Vignau
2017-10-07 09:43:34 UTC
As we saw on twitter, the corvus1.dsk handles the H-series HDDs.

To use the disk, rename it as corvus1.po (from corvus1.dsk) and enjoy! A simple interleaving problem...

Antoine
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-07 11:29:52 UTC
Yes, simple but important - thanks a lot for that!
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-15 19:19:00 UTC
Please help. I search for the Corvus initialization utilities for the H-Series drives.

I found the diagnostic utilities and tested my Model 20 - no errors. That‘s great. But after different tests with different initialization utilities for Corvus drives that match not exactly with the H-Series drives I see that I will need this special disk.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-16 13:00:48 UTC
OK, so far I was not able to find the special disks.

So I decided not to install a only Basic system on my Corvus.

Today I initialized a Pascal System on it and that works!

Now I want to put a DOS partition on it. Therefore I need the a disk that came according to the Corvus manual with the Apple Pascal Language System - the disk:"BASICs Integer and Applesoft II".

Does anyone no where to find that?

I did not find it on asimov, Apple2Online and apple2.org.za ...
Steven Hirsch
2017-10-16 15:31:18 UTC
Post by 6***@gmail.com
OK, so far I was not able to find the special disks.
So I decided not to install a only Basic system on my Corvus.
Today I initialized a Pascal System on it and that works!
Now I want to put a DOS partition on it. Therefore I need the a disk that
came according to the Corvus manual with the Apple Pascal Language System -
the disk:"BASICs Integer and Applesoft II".
Does anyone no where to find that?
I did not find it on asimov, Apple2Online and apple2.org.za ...
Perhaps I'm not fully understanding what you are after, but the Constellation
I or II diskette sets will let you setup and partition the drive for all
operating systems. You may be looking at some VERY early documentation that
predates the Constellation software.

You certainly will need the Apple distribution disks for DOS, ProDOS and
Pascal, but those are (or should be) easy to locate.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-16 16:03:58 UTC
Thanks to Greg Wildman for uploading the missed Pascal disk!

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple_pascal/
James Davis
2017-10-17 05:40:24 UTC
This link has gone bad sometime since you posted it. I looked at it earlier, but now it does not work.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-16 16:11:04 UTC
Post by Steven Hirsch
Perhaps I'm not fully understanding what you are after, but the Constellation
I or II diskette sets will let you setup and partition the drive for all
operating systems. You may be looking at some VERY early documentation that
predates the Constellation software.
You certainly will need the Apple distribution disks for DOS, ProDOS and
Pascal, but those are (or should be) easy to locate.
Thanks Steven, but I tried to do that with the Constellation Software - but that was not possible - don't know why ...

I use these two manuals:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/corvus/service/7100-04704_H-Series_Drives_Service_Apr83.pdf

and

http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/computing/Corvus/Corvus_DiskNetworkSystems_AppleII.PDF