"Eagle Software GraphExt" ?
Add Reply
Steve Nickolas
2012-01-13 09:08:53 UTC
I've come across this on a couple disks and isolated 3 different versions
of it. It's a weird, heavily hacked DOS 3.3, apparently from Russia or
Bulgaria. Anyone heard of this, know anything about it?

The interesting thing about it is it has built-in support for crunched
graphics. I was just experimenting with the capability.

-uso.
Vladimir Ivanov
2012-01-13 09:30:06 UTC
I've come across this on a couple disks and isolated 3 different versions of
it. It's a weird, heavily hacked DOS 3.3, apparently from Russia or
Bulgaria.
Bulgaria. Doesn't it have "Orlin Shopov" when doing "DIR", or somewhere
embedded?

I believe this guy runs:
http://eagle.bg/eng/
Anyone heard of this, know anything about it?
My most used fast DOS at the time.

Is a little bigger than normal fast DOSes - both in memory and on disk.
Prints track/sector/op in inverse.

"INIT" only rewrites DOS, does not format.
The interesting thing about it is it has built-in support for crunched
graphics. I was just experimenting with the capability.
"GLOAD" / "GSAVE", produce 'G' files.

"DIR" just like "CATALOG".

"-" starts any file.

There was also "SOUND", IIRC. Perhaps something like "SOUND Apitch,Lduration".

Just curious, Steve, where did you find it?
Steve Nickolas
2012-01-13 10:19:59 UTC
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
I've come across this on a couple disks and isolated 3 different versions
of it. It's a weird, heavily hacked DOS 3.3, apparently from Russia or
Bulgaria.
Bulgaria. Doesn't it have "Orlin Shopov" when doing "DIR", or somewhere
embedded?
It's the same as CATALOG:

EAGLE SOFTWARE GRAPHEXT 2.8
___________________________

SLOT 6 DRIVE 1 VOLUME 254

followed by a normal catalog and a free sector count. The type which DOS
3.3 reports as "Alternate B", and my own hacks report as "O" (for Other),
is called G here.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
http://eagle.bg/eng/
Post by Steve Nickolas
Anyone heard of this, know anything about it?
My most used fast DOS at the time.
Is a little bigger than normal fast DOSes - both in memory and on disk.
Prints track/sector/op in inverse.
I noticed. And different versions show it in different places or in
different formats.

2.9 and 3.0 also beep around when I hit the keys. (Which is why I tend to
prefer the 2.8 I dug off the disk image that comes with Appler.)

They also seem to have ONERR TRY AGAIN built into them. (Nice feature,
though I'm not exactly a fan.)
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
"INIT" only rewrites DOS, does not format.
I... *cough* noticed that.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
The interesting thing about it is it has built-in support for crunched
graphics. I was just experimenting with the capability.
"GLOAD" / "GSAVE", produce 'G' files.
"DIR" just like "CATALOG".
"-" starts any file.
Ah, like ProDOS?
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
There was also "SOUND", IIRC. Perhaps something like "SOUND
Apitch,Lduration".
Ah. I noticed the command, didn't know how it worked.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Just curious, Steve, where did you find it?
There's a 2.9 on Asimov. 2.8's in the disk image that comes with the
"Appler" emulator (one of the devs was in Bulgaria, which would prolly
explain the use of a Bulgarian DOS). 3.0 is in a file called
"Basic_Pravetz.dsk". I'm pretty sure I've seen a 2.7 somewhere but can't
find it (my Apple ][ folder is a MESS).

Here would prolly be the files in question:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/emulators/misc/appler.zip
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/misc/Eagle%20Graphext%20DOS%202.9.dsk
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/masters/Basic_Pravetz.dsk

(And I know a little about the Pravetz line, though not much at all.)

-uso.
Vladimir Ivanov
2012-01-13 11:27:00 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
EAGLE SOFTWARE GRAPHEXT 2.8
___________________________
SLOT 6 DRIVE 1 VOLUME 254
First random image I found in my collection with Eagle GraphExt is version 2.9.

Fun trivia - the underscores form a continous line on the Apple chargen.
Post by Steve Nickolas
followed by a normal catalog and a free sector count. The type which DOS 3.3
reports as "Alternate B", and my own hacks report as "O" (for Other), is
called G here.
Yes, one of the "special" file types was used.
Post by Steve Nickolas
I noticed. And different versions show it in different places or in
different formats.
Example 2.9 status - "00 E R" in inverse. How different are the others?
Post by Steve Nickolas
2.9 and 3.0 also beep around when I hit the keys. (Which is why I tend to
prefer the 2.8 I dug off the disk image that comes with Appler.)
This 2.9 I just booted is silent, i.e. normal.
Post by Steve Nickolas
They also seem to have ONERR TRY AGAIN built into them. (Nice feature,
though I'm not exactly a fan.)
Some BASIC additon? Mine doesn't have such.
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
"INIT" only rewrites DOS, does not format.
I... *cough* noticed that.
I find this behavior normal. Another fast DOS I was using, which printed
track/sector/op in normal, also updated tracks 0-2 only without full
format. Given how often these tracks were destroyed, or the need to
"speed" some regular DOS diskette or populate DOS on Locksmith-formatted
one, this feature was very useful to me.

And if I have to guess, the "INIT" formatting code was a good prime
candidate for the additional space needed when enhancing the DOS.

Then there was some fast DOS which printed status like "R 01/6->A700 D1".
It also just replaces DOS without full format.
Post by Steve Nickolas
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/emulators/misc/appler.zip
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/misc/Eagle%20Graphext%20DOS%202.9.dsk
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/masters/Basic_Pravetz.dsk
Wasn't there a DOS/OS category on Asimov? The second one might be better
there.

Which reminds me I have to start Asimov-related discussion soon. There are
few things that need attention IMHO.

Another fun Eagle GrahpExt trivia - I have at least one DOS 3.3 virus, and
it fails to migrate on this DOS. Upon boot the infected Eagle GraphExt
fails to load and dumps to Monitor, so I guess it's considerably different
than others, because the virus works on other fast DOSes.
Steve Nickolas
2012-01-13 11:46:53 UTC
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
EAGLE SOFTWARE GRAPHEXT 2.8
___________________________
SLOT 6 DRIVE 1 VOLUME 254
First random image I found in my collection with Eagle GraphExt is version 2.9.
Fun trivia - the underscores form a continous line on the Apple chargen.
Yeah. I used to use an imitation Apple font in CP437 as the master font
for my emulators.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
followed by a normal catalog and a free sector count. The type which DOS
3.3 reports as "Alternate B", and my own hacks report as "O" (for Other),
is called G here.
Yes, one of the "special" file types was used.
The one which almost nothing uses...except LISA assembler, iirc?
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
I noticed. And different versions show it in different places or in
different formats.
Example 2.9 status - "00 E R" in inverse. How different are the others?
The 2.9 I have says "11-0/R" instead of the expected "11 0 R".

2.8 is as you say. Both have it on the bottom right.

3.0 has it with the dash and slash, in the TOP LEFT. (Which is odd...
every other variant I've seen that shows the status does it in the bottom
right.)
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
2.9 and 3.0 also beep around when I hit the keys. (Which is why I tend to
prefer the 2.8 I dug off the disk image that comes with Appler.)
This 2.9 I just booted is silent, i.e. normal.
I wonder if it was a common hack.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
They also seem to have ONERR TRY AGAIN built into them. (Nice feature,
though I'm not exactly a fan.)
Some BASIC additon? Mine doesn't have such.
It's a hack on the DOS, so that instead of say

]

FILE NOT FOUND

]_

it would instead do something like this:

]_

FILE NOT FOUND

The Beagle Bros version of this is called "ONERR TRY AGAIN" and I think
it's on Silicon Salad.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
"INIT" only rewrites DOS, does not format.
I... *cough* noticed that.
I find this behavior normal. Another fast DOS I was using, which printed
track/sector/op in normal, also updated tracks 0-2 only without full format.
Given how often these tracks were destroyed, or the need to "speed" some
regular DOS diskette or populate DOS on Locksmith-formatted one, this feature
was very useful to me.
And if I have to guess, the "INIT" formatting code was a good prime candidate
for the additional space needed when enhancing the DOS.
Prolly. A lot of hacks zap INIT entirely.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Then there was some fast DOS which printed status like "R 01/6->A700 D1". It
also just replaces DOS without full format.
I have one that looks like "61FE 04 2 >> 36F4".
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/emulators/misc/appler.zip
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/misc/Eagle%20Graphext%20DOS%202.9.dsk
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/masters/Basic_Pravetz.dsk
Wasn't there a DOS/OS category on Asimov? The second one might be better
there.
Which reminds me I have to start Asimov-related discussion soon. There are
few things that need attention IMHO.
Another fun Eagle GrahpExt trivia - I have at least one DOS 3.3 virus, and it
fails to migrate on this DOS. Upon boot the infected Eagle GraphExt fails to
load and dumps to Monitor, so I guess it's considerably different than
others, because the virus works on other fast DOSes.
It does look very different under the hood than most DOS hacks. More
different, even, than DiversiDOS.

If you look at the hack I use on my disks, it's close enough that the
vast majority of programs still work. (A notable exception was Terrapin
Logo - a problem I traced to lobbing out the VERIFY command to make room
for the TYPE code from ProntoDOS.)

The most obvious changes - I didn't implement every hack I wanted to -
were the free space display, the TYPE command, different bootup behavior
and (in the current version) 16 extra sectors. It's a mix of code I got
from Apple Assembly Line and stuff I hijacked off ProntoDOS, plus a few
mods I made myself.

-uso.
Vladimir Ivanov
2012-01-13 12:27:40 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
followed by a normal catalog and a free sector count. The type which DOS
3.3 reports as "Alternate B", and my own hacks report as "O" (for Other),
is called G here.
Yes, one of the "special" file types was used.
The one which almost nothing uses...except LISA assembler, iirc?
Dunno. With the different representations in different DOSes, it's hard to
recollect such tiny details. :-)
Post by Steve Nickolas
The 2.9 I have says "11-0/R" instead of the expected "11 0 R".
2.8 is as you say. Both have it on the bottom right.
3.0 has it with the dash and slash, in the TOP LEFT. (Which is odd... every
other variant I've seen that shows the status does it in the bottom right.)
This is funny. I won't rule out some additional hack by another person for
own customization. A binary compare will tell whether it's only a few
bytes patchwork.
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
2.9 and 3.0 also beep around when I hit the keys. (Which is why I tend to
prefer the 2.8 I dug off the disk image that comes with Appler.)
This 2.9 I just booted is silent, i.e. normal.
I wonder if it was a common hack.
Not in my case.
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
They also seem to have ONERR TRY AGAIN built into them. (Nice feature,
though I'm not exactly a fan.)
Some BASIC additon? Mine doesn't have such.
It's a hack on the DOS, so that instead of say
]
FILE NOT FOUND
]_
]_
FILE NOT FOUND
The Beagle Bros version of this is called "ONERR TRY AGAIN" and I think it's
on Silicon Salad.
Ah, I see. It's there.

It was good practice to incorporate useful bits from here and there. For
instance, the ROM of Pravetz-8C had nice additions like
Ctrl+Reset+ClosedApple dropping you into Monitor (great for hacking), or
supporting hex constants in the "$xxxx" form in BASIC. Also the more
common mini-asm, Step/Trace and search in Monitor. Try it, image is
available on the net.
Post by Steve Nickolas
It does look very different under the hood than most DOS hacks. More
different, even, than DiversiDOS.
It was the most differing but still compatible DOS as I remember it.
Post by Steve Nickolas
If you look at the hack I use on my disks, it's close enough that the vast
majority of programs still work. (A notable exception was Terrapin Logo - a
problem I traced to lobbing out the VERIFY command to make room for the TYPE
code from ProntoDOS.)
Forgot that Eagle GraphExt also has "TYPE" command. But you probably have
found that out already.
Steve Nickolas
2012-01-13 15:23:53 UTC
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
followed by a normal catalog and a free sector count. The type which DOS
3.3 reports as "Alternate B", and my own hacks report as "O" (for Other),
is called G here.
Yes, one of the "special" file types was used.
The one which almost nothing uses...except LISA assembler, iirc?
Dunno. With the different representations in different DOSes, it's hard to
recollect such tiny details. :-)
:-)

Some stuff didn't seem to acknowledge that types other than B-A-I-T
existed. DOS BOSS didn't understand the other types and let you stretch
the DISK VOLUME header over them (otoh, my own version, DOS Manipulator,
does recognize them; that's how I patched STOS).
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Post by Steve Nickolas
The 2.9 I have says "11-0/R" instead of the expected "11 0 R".
2.8 is as you say. Both have it on the bottom right.
3.0 has it with the dash and slash, in the TOP LEFT. (Which is odd... every
other variant I've seen that shows the status does it in the bottom right.)
This is funny. I won't rule out some additional hack by another person for
own customization. A binary compare will tell whether it's only a few bytes
patchwork.
Could well be. I've seen DOS 3.3 hacks that only show locked files.
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
It was good practice to incorporate useful bits from here and there. For
instance, the ROM of Pravetz-8C had nice additions like
Ctrl+Reset+ClosedApple dropping you into Monitor (great for hacking), or
supporting hex constants in the "$xxxx" form in BASIC. Also the more common
mini-asm, Step/Trace and search in Monitor. Try it, image is available on the
net.
EDM does the opt-ctrl-reset thing too. I used it when doing a couple of
my filecracks. Didn't know the 8C had that.

Maybe the 8C ROM was based on EDM?

I still wonder if it's possible to come up with a replacement for FPBASIC
because I never felt right packaging it with my emus. The closest I got
was ripping it from a shareware emu that had custom ROMs (and for which
FPBASIC was separately licensed from M$).
Post by Steve Nickolas
If you look at the hack I use on my disks, it's close enough that the vast
majority of programs still work. (A notable exception was Terrapin Logo -
a problem I traced to lobbing out the VERIFY command to make room for the
TYPE code from ProntoDOS.)
Forgot that Eagle GraphExt also has "TYPE" command. But you probably have
found that out already.
LOL

-uso.
Vladimir Ivanov
2012-01-13 16:30:21 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Maybe the 8C ROM was based on EDM?
No idea. I had little information back then and most of the things I
discover(ed) happened to be after everything was beyond obsolete.

The hex constants in BASIC were handy, though.

PRINT PEEK($BFFB)
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Vladimir Ivanov
Forgot that Eagle GraphExt also has "TYPE" command. But you probably have
found that out already.
LOL
Ok, after taking a peek at the dump:

TYPE <file> - lists text file
MAKE <file> - creates text file until CTRL+C
BOOT - reboots
HALT - just what it says
MODE <num> - switches to text/graphic mode
0: LORES page 1, full
1: LORES page 2, full
2: LORES page 1, mixed
3: LORES page 2, mixed
4: HIRES page 1, full
5: HIRES page 2, full
6: HIRES page 1, mixed
7: HIRES page 2, mixed
8: TEXT
Vladimir Ivanov
2012-01-13 16:34:58 UTC
Steve, I forgot to add:

Compared the 2.9 and 3.0 versions from the images on Asimov that you
posted.

2.9 and 3.0 differ very slightly (just 201 bytes), so I don't exclude the
possibility of being someone else's patchwork. I leave it to you to verify
that theory. ;-)
s***@gmail.com
2017-08-30 21:07:30 UTC
I uploaded these images to Asimov.net

Originally they were on my 140K diskettes, transferred using Apple Oasis emulator somewhere in 1997-8.

Eagle Graphext DOS is not heavily hacked, but it is written by Bulgarian Developping Center NPL in 80's.

There are other commands (except gsave, gload for compressed saving/loading of graphics pages) like "MODE <n>" - switching (without erasing) to various graphics and text modes.

I wrote some programs and subroutines to load/save Double Hires pictures in these years (for Apple //e, //c, GS and Bulgarian clones Pravetz-8E, 8A, 8C, 8S).
s***@gmail.com
2017-08-30 21:10:59 UTC
BTW, another file type was introduced - "G" for these graphics compressed files saved with "GSAVE".

Also, I uploaded Pravet-82, 8M, 8A, 8C ROMS to asimov.net