Apple IIe platinum enhanced?
Sam Latella
2012-11-04 14:06:45 UTC
Another question?

The Apple IIe platinum enhanced version with the built in keypad, I was told
that it had the 5.25 disk drive controllers built on board?
I've searched the net for some specs or user manual and could not find one.

Is it true the 5.25 disk drive controllers are built on board, so an
external disk controller card is not needed?

What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just acquired this IIe and would like to
know more about it.

Sam
Steve Nickolas
2012-11-04 14:38:50 UTC
Post by Sam Latella
Another question?
The Apple IIe platinum enhanced version with the built in keypad, I was told
that it had the 5.25 disk drive controllers built on board?
No, still has a card in slot 6.
Post by Sam Latella
What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.
Same as a regular enhanced //e. I think it has the Shift Mod.

-uso.
Sam Latella
2012-11-04 17:44:21 UTC
Post by Sam Latella
What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.
Same as a regular enhanced //e. I think it has the Shift Mod.
-uso.
Thanks for the info Steve!\

Anyone have pointers of an enhanced apple iie user manual/guide in pdf
format on the web for download?
D Finnigan
2012-11-04 18:26:20 UTC
Post by Sam Latella
Anyone have pointers of an enhanced apple iie user manual/guide in pdf
format on the web for download?
Check Apple's Support Web Site:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/AppleIIeUG.pdf
D Finnigan
2012-11-04 18:25:32 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Sam Latella
Another question?
The Apple IIe platinum enhanced version with the built in keypad, I was told
that it had the 5.25 disk drive controllers built on board?
No, still has a card in slot 6.
What Sam Latella might be thinking of is the Extended 80-Columns Card which
shipped standard with every Platinum machine. It could be removed by the
user, however.
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Sam Latella
What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.
Same as a regular enhanced //e. I think it has the Shift Mod.
Specs are the same, but the motherboard is changed in a few ways:

- ROMs condensed down to one chip
- RAMs also consolidated to fewer chips
- Extended 80-Column card came pre-installed
- Shift key mod is by default enabled (older IIe models had the solder pads
for the change)
- Capacitors added to game I/O
--
]DF$
Apple II Book: http://macgui.com/newa2guide/ Vault: http://macgui.com/vault/
http://macgui.com/usenet/subs.php?group=1
Michael J. Mahon
2012-11-04 19:58:27 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by Sam Latella
What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.
Same as a regular enhanced //e. I think it has the Shift Mod.
- ROMs condensed down to one chip
- RAMs also consolidated to fewer chips
- Extended 80-Column card came pre-installed
- Shift key mod is by default enabled (older IIe models had the solder pads for the change)
And this leads to the possibility of shorting the +5v line to ground if the
third button of a joystick is pressed at the same time the SHIFT key is
down. It would be better to cut the bowtie and put a current-limiting
resistor across it--like 470 ohms.
Post by D Finnigan
- Capacitors added to game I/O
And this clumsy approach to reducing EMI makes the pushbutton inputs
worthless for any rapidly changing signals--like NadaNet.

It's best to simply remove the three 0.1uF capacitors so that the Platinum
can be used with all game port devices, just like other Apple II's.

-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Sam Latella
2012-11-04 23:34:11 UTC
Post by Sam Latella
Another question?
The Apple IIe platinum enhanced version with the built in keypad, I was told
that it had the 5.25 disk drive controllers built on board?
I've searched the net for some specs or user manual and could not find one.
Is it true the 5.25 disk drive controllers are built on board, so an
external disk controller card is not needed?
What other specs does the platinum iie have besides being enhanced.
Sorry for all the questions, but I just acquired this IIe and would like to
know more about it.
Sam
Well, I finally got the Apple IIe platinum enhanced up and running to find
out it's an old Apple ][e 1982 motherboard in a platinum case?
Is this normal? I would have assumed it would be a later motherboard for
sure.

Looks like someone put in an old board that uses platinum keyboard, and
numeric keypad.

This was a bit of a let down, however, I did get three 5.25 drives (2 clone
drives, and an original apple drive with controller card), an Apple III
monitor, Apple Logo software disk and manuals plus original box, a
replacement clone keyboard, brand new replacement apple iie platinum
keyboard which needs to replace the one in the so called platinum enhanced
//e, and of course an apple ii plus clone.

So not to bad for a purchase I think?

Sam