RAMWorks/RAM Factor/80-Column Text Card ROM
2017-08-22 00:44:12 UTC
I was reading Sathers' "Understanding the IIe" book and saw mention of the IO space $C100-$D000 (if I recall correctly) potentially being used as peripheral ROM space. Am I to understand that this space is used to run a peripheral card's ROM routines, and if so, what are some common examples of this? It also mentions the 80-column text card using that space for its ROM. I'd be interested in taking a look at that ROM; anyone know where I can find it, and anyone know what it's for? I initially thought that the RAMWorks card must have a ROM since it serves as an 80-Column card but then in Sathers' book he mentions that the functionality is all baked-into the IIe to such an extent that all you need is a latch and a couple of other simple circuits and poof, you got yourself an 80-column card... so I'm guessing the 80-col ROM is on the IIe somewhere but I can't find a link to it anywhere. I'd also be interested in seeing the RAM Factor ROM. Any ideas?
John Brooks
2017-08-22 03:36:07 UTC
[...]
The Apple II supports two kinds of drivers on ROM cards:

1) Disk drives (floppy, HD), activated at boot or by the OS: ProDOS, Pascal, etc

2) Character devices (printer, modem, terminal in/out), activated via PR#, IN#

Each card has two ROM areas it can use: 256 bytes controlled by the IO Select line:
$C100-$C1FF - Card in slot 1
$C200-$C2FF - Card in slot 2
$C300-$C3FF - Card in slot 3
$C400-$C4FF - Card in slot 4
$C500-$C5FF - Card in slot 5
$C600-$C6FF - Card in slot 6
$C700-$C7FF - Card in slot 7

In addition, there is 2048 bytes of ROM space at $C800-$CFFF controlled by the IO Strobe line which is bank-switched such that only one card of the 7 can use it at a time.

The Ramworks card does not contain any ROM, although 80 column cards in the ][ & ][+ era had ROMs to manage character output to their display.

The IIc, //e, and IIGS contain special ROM which banks in over $C300-$C3FF, or from $C800-$CFFF which contains the 80-column driver. The switches to control this C3 and Cx ROM are at $C00A/$C00B and $C006/$C007.

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
Anthony Ortiz
Thanks John, I'm slogging through the RAMifications (pun intended!) of all those switches... jesus xmas am I getting a headache. Double-reads, odd or even access... what the?
retrogear
2017-08-22 16:59:10 UTC
The Ramfactor v1.4 ROM image should be in here, although I haven't examined it:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/hardware/storage/memory/ramfactor14.shk

Larry G
Anthony Ortiz
2017-08-22 23:09:40 UTC
Thanks Larry, should have been able to find that on my own... it was just a google search away.
Anthony Ortiz
2017-08-22 23:07:11 UTC
I'm an idiot. Upon further reading of Sather's book I realize that it's not a separate ROM but part of the Apple IIe ROM which we have readily available.