Profile question
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-24 18:23:50 UTC
The Profile low level format chip has an EPROM on top of it. I have one for a 10mb profile. Would those be easy to change to a 5mb or is changing the EPROM ill advised?
Patrick Schaefer
2017-07-24 20:06:38 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
The Profile low level format chip has an EPROM on top of it. I have
one for a 10mb profile. Would those be easy to change to a 5mb
Sure. Get the image file from bitsavers.org
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/apple/disk/profile/firmware/ProFile5_FW_2014-01-23.zip
find someone with an EPROM burner and write it into a 2716, 2732 or 2816
chip.

Remember you will also need the 5 MB disk for your Apple /// (or BLU for
the Lisa or an UsbWidEx).

Patrick
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-24 21:02:59 UTC
I have a 5 and 10mb Profile that I’m using on an Apple II. The 10mb has some bad blocks so I’m hoping a low level format will fix the problem. Have the special chip and some Apple IIIs. Don’t have an Apple III profile card yet but there’s always some on ebay. I was thinking that doing a low level format might be a good thing to do on the 5mb while I had everything out.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-24 21:45:13 UTC
Here's one for the Apple /// @ $39.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-MB-apple-profile-Drive-Analog-Board-Apple-III-Computer/122582166471

And one for the Apple 2 @ $99.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Profile-5MB-Hard-Drive-Controller-Board-820-0055-D-1981-ships-worldwide-/152310694727
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-24 23:27:37 UTC
Those are the circuit boards that are inside the Profile. I need the interface card that goes inside Apple III.
I ordered one today
James Davis
2017-07-26 15:01:06 UTC
You should take a look at what is on them still, and back it all up, before you reformat them. You might find some useful and/or necessary (e.g., Profile OS) software there.
w***@gmail.com
2017-07-26 16:41:01 UTC
The one I plan to low level format already has had a regular format and has been in use by me for a while on an Apple II. It has some bad blocks that I’m hoping the low level format will keep out of use.
I know that I have at least one more Profile that I’ve never used. I think it’s at the back of one storage locker with a III Plus. Whenever I locate it, I’ll take a look before formatting.