Corvus Hard Drive
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-02 16:37:13 UTC
Corvus Hard Drive Apple II Card Flat Cable.

Does anyone know where I can get the flat cable to connect my Corvus Hard Drive to the Corvus Apple II Card? Or does anyone have specifications how to build the cable?

Thanks for any hints!
Steven Hirsch
It's a straight-through 34-pin ribbon cable with a female header on both ends.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-02 18:50:58 UTC
Thanks! So a standard disk cable...?
Steven Hirsch
2017-10-02 23:35:05 UTC
Post by 6***@gmail.com
Thanks! So a standard disk cable...?
Perhaps standard for 1984 :-). The control cable for MFM, RLL and ESDI drives
was 34-pin, but usually had a twist at one end. That won't play nicely with
the Corvus.

I just keep a small roll of ribbon cable handle and crimp on connectors as I
need them. If you need something ready-made, try eBay, e.g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-34-Pin-IDC-Female-to-Female-Flat-Ribbon-Cable-CablesOnline-FF-272-/271602878732?hash=item3f3ccb090c:g:MssAAOSwe7BWznRa

Be very careful shopping there! Probably 95% of the cables I saw had a twist
in them. This particular one does not appear to and should be perfect.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-03 07:51:42 UTC
Thanks a lot for that hint!

I got this kit

http://www.ebay.de/itm/IDC-KIT-34-polig-pin-30-cm-Flachbandkabel-Ribbon-cable-Buchse-Stecker-Header-/252981264785?var=&hash=item3ae6dbc191:m:mHhoDxPVX5RbLGZ4tRRbSbA

That's not so expensive and should work - or not?
Steven Hirsch
Awfully short, but will work electrically. Good luck!
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-03 12:19:00 UTC
Thanks a lot for your help!
James Davis
2017-10-04 18:48:19 UTC
How many different ways/(combinations/permutations) are there to attach the connectors, though?!--Most of which would be wrong.--And just one right way.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-04 20:00:45 UTC
Well, it seems to be a straight through cable.

In this manual:

http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/computing/Corvus/Corvus_DiskNetworkSystems_AppleII.PDF

is written on page 2-9 and page 2-12 on which side the stripe of the cable has to be at the hard drive and the card. So I think that is how it should be attached to connect it in the right way ...