I want the UI of SQUIRT [...]
I usually stay clear of criticizing the work of others - but I'd like
to make an exception here...
The work on ProDOS 2.4 is so great that everytime I look at the BB UI
I think that it just doesn't live up to the quality of ProDOS 2.4.
Almost half of the screen is empty apart from the credits. That part
really looks like some splash screen that gets replaced at some point
by some viewer or directory tree or <...> but it doesn't.
I have no idea how severe the space limitations are so some ideas
might just not be possible, but nevertheless:
- It would be desirable to use 80 col if available for a multi col
- Given the P8 file name length restrictions even on 40 col a two col
file list should fit on the screen.
- If there are at least some bytes left to spend they could be used to
detect the availability of mouse text and draw solid lines instead of
those ugly '-' and '!' signs.
- If a two col list is no option for one reason or another the single
col list shouldn't be "attached" to the left side of the screen but
rather centered. I don't see this adding any code size. Maybe some
additional attributes (like the file time or alike) could be displayed
"to fill the screen".
And finally a wish regarding the functionality:
If a BIN file is launched directly from BB it would be desirable to
have it exit back to BB by patching the two page 3 DOS vectors to call
P8 QUIT. If the argument against this should be that there might be
BIN programs relying on the user to be able to read their output after
exit on the BASIC prompt I'd argue:
- That this is from my perspective very uncommon. There might be
another key beside RETURN to launch a BIN file and leave the DOS
- That one might print "PRESS RETURN TO CONTINUE" and wait for a
keypress before calling P8 QUIT. I'd still prefer that a lot over
having to type BYE on the BASIC prompt.
- That one might introduce a naming convention like "only BIN files
ending with .BIN<ARY> have the DOS vectors [not] patched" or alike.
Just my two cents,