Take it easy?
Adrian Wallaschek
2018-02-08 23:43:59 UTC
Hi!

In the good old times, this little boy went to the computer club. We copied software like hell and it took ... ages ... for just a single disk. Nibble Away and Locksmith were awefully slow.

Then somebody brought in another copy program. It kind of max'd out the speed for a copy and it copied disks that even the heavy weight copiers did not manage.

I kind-of remember a name like "Take It Easy", but I am not sure. Tried to find it ... failed.

I need to copy a lot of old disks so I thought something fast would be fine.

If the name I remeber is wrong: kindly propose some copy utility that is fast and does not require the disks to be formatted, first.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Adrian

PS: and yes, sure, I only copy freeware or abandonware ;-)
Delfs
2018-02-09 12:02:39 UTC
I use locksmith 6.0, conveniently extracted from the original disk (thanks to computist magazine) and placed with others on my DOS33 Utilities disk. I use a fast dos and a tiny menu program, I can be copying disks in under 30 seconds. I cheat and also have a write protect override button on the destination drive.
I like locksmith as I can set drive 0 as destination and copy to ram, then set it as source to make multiple copies. It recognizes aux ram and slinky cards so it can do as much in one pass as possible. Just wish it did 3.5 disks too.
Locksmith 6.0 formats as it goes, can patch the header and epilogue for reading and writing and allows you select specific track to nag that bad sector into copying. Optionally will read it back as it writes to verify and it can also compare disks sector by sector.
I never realized back in the day how powerful it was. I've used it to crack disks, and build special formatted disk that are copy protected.
Sadly I have not used it in recent memory, not too many people need copy disks these days.
J. Random Hacker
2018-02-09 13:46:27 UTC
Post by Adrian Wallaschek
Then somebody brought in another copy program. It kind of max'd out the
speed for a copy and it copied disks that even the heavy weight copiers
did not manage.
Are you thinking of Disk Muncher? It greatly increased the speed of
copying discs, but unfortunately it was at the cost of accuracy. I
remember it producing a LOT of bad copies at the swap meets. Locksmith
6.0 Fast Copy is the way to go!
Mark D. Overholser
2018-02-09 15:54:59 UTC
Post by J. Random Hacker
Post by Adrian Wallaschek
Then somebody brought in another copy program. It kind of max'd out
the speed for a copy and it copied disks that even the heavy weight
copiers did not manage.
Are you thinking of Disk Muncher? It greatly increased the speed of
copying discs, but unfortunately it was at the cost of accuracy. I
remember it producing a LOT of bad copies at the swap meets. Locksmith
6.0 Fast Copy is the way to go!
I have very good results with Disk Muncher... But only on Standard
Disks....

For all the Protected Stuff, Copy ][ Plus Bit Copy and LockSmith....

MarkO
TheJ
2018-02-09 17:52:41 UTC
Post by Mark D. Overholser
Post by J. Random Hacker
Post by Adrian Wallaschek
Then somebody brought in another copy program. It kind of max'd out
the speed for a copy and it copied disks that even the heavy weight
copiers did not manage.
Are you thinking of Disk Muncher? It greatly increased the speed of
copying discs, but unfortunately it was at the cost of accuracy. I
remember it producing a LOT of bad copies at the swap meets. Locksmith
6.0 Fast Copy is the way to go!
I have very good results with Disk Muncher... But only on Standard
Disks....
For all the Protected Stuff, Copy ][ Plus Bit Copy and LockSmith....
MarkO
I had good results with Disk Muncher too.
Didn't it have HexEditor too?

2018-02-10 18:26:03 UTC
Post by J. Random Hacker
Post by Adrian Wallaschek
Then somebody brought in another copy program. It kind of max'd out the
speed for a copy and it copied disks that even the heavy weight copiers
did not manage.
Are you thinking of Disk Muncher? It greatly increased the speed of
copying discs, but unfortunately it was at the cost of accuracy. I
remember it producing a LOT of bad copies at the swap meets. Locksmith
6.0 Fast Copy is the way to go!
Yes.

I was using it to make data backups until I discovered (sadly) that it
ignored errors!
Jorge
2018-02-09 17:19:31 UTC
Locksmith +1
mmphosis
2018-02-10 21:17:30 UTC
Post by Adrian Wallaschek
[...]
Thanks for the flashback.

# ./dskcatalog ../diskcopy-programs.dsk
../diskcopy-programs.dsk

DISK VOLUME 254

*B 010 BOOT13
*B 017 COPY ][+
*B 003 COPY.OBJ0
*A 009 COPYA
*B 007 COPYD
*B 021 DISK RECOVERY
*A 005 HELLO
*B 085 LOCKSMITH 4.1
*B 004 NIBBLE COPY ][
*B 120 NIBBLES AWAY
*B 093 SUPER COPY
*B 018 DISK MUNCHER V1.0
*B 041 DISK FIXER
*B 018 BIN.PIRACY

I seem to remember, or more likely forget, that "COPY ][+" was fast, but
later versions of LOCKSMITH are better as others have noted.
joltenjoe
2018-02-16 23:10:52 UTC
Diskmuncher !! Loved that one from the stack or corrupt computing. Supercopy was ok too.

There was one other speed copier out there I had used but I do forget the name.
Adrian Wallaschek
2018-02-10 22:01:41 UTC
Thanks a lot.

As I am "restarting" with a couple of Apple IIsomething in various configs (hardware vacuumed from ebay over the last years).

Now it is time to care for the software, meaning endless disk-copying, archiving, ordering, and tons of disk images on SD for the few machines I have a CFFA for (2 more to come with the next batch - *evil grin*).

Maybe one day I'll find the exact program I was looking for. In the mean time your proposals are worth a lot to me, as the copy programm is a key factor for me. Each machine shall have a few themes I want it to play with. So each gets its dedicated software collection. Proper tools ease the job.

So, thanks guys!

Adrian