I am longplaying Apple II games. Any suggestions what I shall play next?
Add Reply
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 18:51:16 UTC
I am long time Apple II user and developer. Recently (in the last 15 years or so) I don't have much time for programming. Instead, I am playing some old Apple II (and IIGS) games till finish, or if there is no ending at least till I do a very high score. So far I've did longplay videos of the following Apple games (Sorted by YouTube's popularity):

Apple II - Hard Hat Mack
Apple II - Donkey Kong
Apple II - Moon Patrol
Apple II - Tapper
Apple II - Cannonball Blitz
Apple II - Sneakers
Apple II - Mario Bros.
Apple II - 221B Baker Street - Case #1 - The Adventure of the Unholy Man
Apple II - The Oregon Trail
Apple II - Choplifter
Apple II - Karateka
Apple II - Super SFX Breakout 2017
Apple II - The Mask of the Sun
Apple II - Breakout
Apple II - DogFighters of Mars 2 Special Edition Demo
Apple II - Burger Time
Apple II - Conan: Hall of Volta
Apple II - Repton
Apple II - Diamond Mine
Apple II - Adventureland
Apple II - Prince of Persia
Apple IIGS - Arkanoid
Apple IIGS - Zany Golf
Apple II - Dung Beetles

Apple I games:
Apple I - Lemonade Stand
Apple I - Acey Ducey Card Game

Apple II games:
Apple III - AntiISDA Warrior (Game written by me in BASIC, just for fun)
Apple III - Cap'n Magneto
Apple III - The Apple /// Card Machine - Twenty-One
Apple III - Atomic Defense
Apple III - Apple Chomp

Not yet uploaded, but done:
Apple II - Sammy Lightfoot

So, I was wondering which games the Apple II community would like to see longplayed? I can try any Apple II or IIGS game (even the bad ones) as long as it is easy to play, I will try my best to finish it (no ETA provided, but ASAP as free time permits). I can provide YouTube playlists with the games listed above if asked.
Feel free to request now any Apple game that you would like to watch played.
Anthony Ortiz
How about "The Dark Heart of Uukrul"? Supposed to be a great game on par with the Ultima series, but not well known.
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 20:53:12 UTC
How about "The Dark Heart of Uukrul"? Supposed to be a great game on par with the Ultima series, but not well known.
This looks like a fun game to play. I never played it before, but I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
Anthony Ortiz
2018-01-15 21:09:32 UTC
No problem. It's one of those hidden gems of the Apple II that should have been a big hit back then but never was because it wasn't really advertised. Yours will be the only long-play of it, perhaps it will attract some attention; better late than never!
Anthony Ortiz
2018-01-18 17:57:47 UTC
Let us know when you end up posting your longplays and post a link here to your youtube page.
John Brooks
2018-01-15 20:14:24 UTC
Post by v***@hirudov.com
[...]
Apple II

Cavern Critters
Bolo
Rescue Raiders
Captain Goodnight
Force Seven
Bruce Lee
Alternate Reality City
Alternate Reality Dungeon
Ultimas
Dark Lord
Rockys Boots
Robot Odyssey

Apple IIGS

Thexdar
Rastan
Alien Mind

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 20:51:02 UTC
Post by v***@hirudov.com
Apple II
Cavern Critters
Bolo
Rescue Raiders
Captain Goodnight
Force Seven
Bruce Lee
Alternate Reality City
Alternate Reality Dungeon
Ultimas
Dark Lord
Rockys Boots
Robot Odyssey
Apple IIGS
Thexdar
Rastan
Alien Mind
-JB
@JBrooksBSI
Thanks for the list. Rastan is on my schedule for completion next. I will check also Thexdar and Alien Mind. Bolo, Rescue Raiders, Robot Odyssey and Captain Goodnight are games that I have fond memories of them, so I will go on longplaying them as well.
Todd Holcomb
2018-01-15 21:26:40 UTC
Wings of Fury is one of my favorites and should definitely be on your list!
KP
Todd Holcomb
2018-01-15 23:48:21 UTC
Make sure to play Defender of the Crown on the IIGS too!
h***@gmail.com
2018-01-16 08:15:09 UTC
How about Flobynoid? That was a favorite of mine.

Cheers!
Andy
Ralph Glatt
If you're feeling a little more retro, I'd recommend some of the better Eamon Games. Kind of like the Fighting Fantasy books of the 80's. They were my favorite when I got my first Apple compatible computer.
h***@gmail.com
2018-02-03 21:45:41 UTC
Flobynoid doesn't seem to be in any common compilations of games. If interested you can find it here (still) :

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple2.archive.umich.edu/apple2/8bit/game/

Cheers!
Andy
Antoine Vignau
2018-02-04 12:45:27 UTC
A disk image of Flobynoid v9.8 @ http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/underground/acs/
Rusty Dekema
2018-02-05 16:16:33 UTC
I would like to watch some of the videos of the games you've already played. Can you share a YouTube URL or username?

Thanks,
Rusty
v***@hirudov.com
2018-02-06 19:34:34 UTC
Post by Rusty Dekema
I would like to watch some of the videos of the games you've already played. Can you share a YouTube URL or username?
Thanks,
Rusty
Also reply to Anthony Ortiz
Here are the playlists:

Apple II Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqZgDMcq6TOZDwwvMHx4eMpG
Apple IIGS Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqYvjIbv_9BOT1LDxFvdEh1T
Apple III Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqbrIXB2smjj1MqWhg91Q9ti
Apple I Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqbZGax0-lOVafzV3ly5pk1i

I've recorded some Apple I, Apple II, Apple III and Apple IIGS software too, but they are not yet uploaded and sorted in playlists on the channel.

I try my best, but I am sure it can be even better, so any feedback on the quality, gameplay, descriptions, resolution, colors, rendering techniques etc... will be gladly appreciated. I rarely narrate my videos, since I am not a native English speaker, but this is an option as well. Also I can add some music soundtracks for the more silent games, but for now I keep the raw 1-bit DAC sound for the Apple II/III games and I love the IIGS soundtracks.

Kind regards
Adrian Wallaschek
2018-02-08 23:48:24 UTC
You might like "Crisis Mountain". I loved it.
Anthony Ortiz
2018-02-09 00:10:34 UTC
No no no... do not deter him from playing the best Apple II RPG that never was (aside from the Ultima's of course) : "The Dark Heart of Uukrul".

note : just watch the first few minutes for a synopsis; don't watch the rest as it walks through the entire game and contains spoilers galore.
s***@gmail.com
2018-03-28 13:57:13 UTC
I'll just put 3 out there;
Wings of Fury