I am longplaying Apple II games. Any suggestions what I shall play next?
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 18:51:16 UTC
I am long time Apple II user and developer. Recently (in the last 15 years or so) I don't have much time for programming. Instead, I am playing some old Apple II (and IIGS) games till finish, or if there is no ending at least till I do a very high score. So far I've did longplay videos of the following Apple games (Sorted by YouTube's popularity):

Apple II - Hard Hat Mack
Apple II - Donkey Kong
Apple II - Moon Patrol
Apple II - Tapper
Apple II - Cannonball Blitz
Apple II - Sneakers
Apple II - Mario Bros.
Apple II - 221B Baker Street - Case #1 - The Adventure of the Unholy Man
Apple II - The Oregon Trail
Apple II - Choplifter
Apple II - Karateka
Apple II - Super SFX Breakout 2017
Apple II - The Mask of the Sun
Apple II - Breakout
Apple II - DogFighters of Mars 2 Special Edition Demo
Apple II - Burger Time
Apple II - Conan: Hall of Volta
Apple II - Repton
Apple II - Diamond Mine
Apple II - Adventureland
Apple II - Prince of Persia
Apple IIGS - Arkanoid
Apple IIGS - Zany Golf
Apple II - Dung Beetles

Apple I games:
Apple I - Lemonade Stand
Apple I - Acey Ducey Card Game

Apple II games:
Apple III - AntiISDA Warrior (Game written by me in BASIC, just for fun)
Apple III - Cap'n Magneto
Apple III - The Apple /// Card Machine - Twenty-One
Apple III - Atomic Defense
Apple III - Apple Chomp

Not yet uploaded, but done:
Apple II - Sammy Lightfoot

So, I was wondering which games the Apple II community would like to see longplayed? I can try any Apple II or IIGS game (even the bad ones) as long as it is easy to play, I will try my best to finish it (no ETA provided, but ASAP as free time permits). I can provide YouTube playlists with the games listed above if asked.
Feel free to request now any Apple game that you would like to watch played.
Anthony Ortiz
2018-01-15 20:11:07 UTC

How about "The Dark Heart of Uukrul"? Supposed to be a great game on par with the Ultima series, but not well known.
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 20:53:12 UTC

This looks like a fun game to play. I never played it before, but I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
Anthony Ortiz
2018-01-15 21:09:32 UTC

No problem. It's one of those hidden gems of the Apple II that should have been a big hit back then but never was because it wasn't really advertised. Yours will be the only long-play of it, perhaps it will attract some attention; better late than never!
Anthony Ortiz
2018-01-18 17:57:47 UTC

Let us know when you end up posting your longplays and post a link here to your youtube page.
John Brooks
2018-01-15 20:14:24 UTC
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 10:51:18 AM UTC-8, ***@hirudov.com wrote:
> I am long time Apple II user and developer. Recently (in the last 15 years or so) I don't have much time for programming. Instead, I am playing some old Apple II (and IIGS) games till finish, or if there is no ending at least till I do a very high score. So far I've did longplay videos of the following Apple games (Sorted by YouTube's popularity):
>
> Apple II - Hard Hat Mack
> Apple II - Donkey Kong
> Apple II - Moon Patrol
> Apple II - Tapper
> Apple II - Cannonball Blitz
> Apple II - Sneakers
> Apple II - Mario Bros.
> Apple II - 221B Baker Street - Case #1 - The Adventure of the Unholy Man
> Apple II - The Oregon Trail
> Apple II - Choplifter
> Apple II - Karateka
> Apple II - Super SFX Breakout 2017
> Apple II - The Mask of the Sun
> Apple II - Breakout
> Apple II - DogFighters of Mars 2 Special Edition Demo
> Apple II - Burger Time
> Apple II - Conan: Hall of Volta
> Apple II - Repton
> Apple II - Diamond Mine
> Apple II - Adventureland
> Apple II - Prince of Persia
> Apple IIGS - Arkanoid
> Apple IIGS - Zany Golf
> Apple II - Dung Beetles
>
> Apple I games:
> Apple I - Lemonade Stand
> Apple I - Acey Ducey Card Game
>
> Apple II games:
> Apple III - AntiISDA Warrior (Game written by me in BASIC, just for fun)
> Apple III - Cap'n Magneto
> Apple III - The Apple /// Card Machine - Twenty-One
> Apple III - Atomic Defense
> Apple III - Apple Chomp
>
> Not yet uploaded, but done:
> Apple II - Sammy Lightfoot
>

> So, I was wondering which games the Apple II community would like to see longplayed? I can try any Apple II or IIGS game (even the bad ones) as long as it is easy to play, I will try my best to finish it (no ETA provided, but ASAP as free time permits). I can provide YouTube playlists with the games listed above if asked.
> Feel free to request now any Apple game that you would like to watch played.

Apple II

Cavern Critters
Bolo
Rescue Raiders
Captain Goodnight
Force Seven
Bruce Lee
Alternate Reality City
Alternate Reality Dungeon
Ultimas
Dark Lord
Rockys Boots
Robot Odyssey

Apple IIGS

Thexdar
Rastan
Alien Mind

-JB
@JBrooksBSI
v***@hirudov.com
2018-01-15 20:51:02 UTC

Thanks for the list. Rastan is on my schedule for completion next. I will check also Thexdar and Alien Mind. Bolo, Rescue Raiders, Robot Odyssey and Captain Goodnight are games that I have fond memories of them, so I will go on longplaying them as well.
Todd Holcomb
2018-01-15 21:26:40 UTC
Wings of Fury is one of my favorites and should definitely be on your list!
KP
2018-01-15 22:52:39 UTC
How about Chrono Warrior? (Which has one of the most impressive digital sound samples I've ever heard come out of an Apple II...)

Todd Holcomb
2018-01-15 23:48:21 UTC
Make sure to play Defender of the Crown on the IIGS too!
h***@gmail.com
2018-01-16 08:15:09 UTC
How about Flobynoid? That was a favorite of mine.

Cheers!
Andy
Ralph Glatt
2018-01-16 15:58:37 UTC

If you're feeling a little more retro, I'd recommend some of the better Eamon Games. Kind of like the Fighting Fantasy books of the 80's. They were my favorite when I got my first Apple compatible computer.
h***@gmail.com
2018-02-03 21:45:41 UTC
Flobynoid doesn't seem to be in any common compilations of games. If interested you can find it here (still) :

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/apple2.archive.umich.edu/apple2/8bit/game/

Cheers!
Andy
Antoine Vignau
2018-02-04 12:45:27 UTC
A disk image of Flobynoid v9.8 @ http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/underground/acs/
Robert Allred
2018-04-12 02:24:47 UTC
I had completely forgotten about Flobynoid. What a great game! I lost a not insignificant portion of my childhood playing that game...

Rusty Dekema
2018-02-05 16:16:33 UTC
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 1:51:18 PM UTC-5, ***@hirudov.com wrote:
> I am long time Apple II user and developer. Recently (in the last 15 years or so) I don't have much time for programming. Instead, I am playing some old Apple II (and IIGS) games till finish, or if there is no ending at least till I do a very high score. So far I've did longplay videos of the following Apple games (Sorted by YouTube's popularity):

I would like to watch some of the videos of the games you've already played. Can you share a YouTube URL or username?

Thanks,
Rusty
v***@hirudov.com
2018-02-06 19:34:34 UTC
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 6:16:35 PM UTC+2, Rusty Dekema wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 1:51:18 PM UTC-5, ***@hirudov.com wrote:
> > I am long time Apple II user and developer. Recently (in the last 15 years or so) I don't have much time for programming. Instead, I am playing some old Apple II (and IIGS) games till finish, or if there is no ending at least till I do a very high score. So far I've did longplay videos of the following Apple games (Sorted by YouTube's popularity):
>
> I would like to watch some of the videos of the games you've already played. Can you share a YouTube URL or username?
>
> Thanks,
> Rusty

> Also reply to Anthony Ortiz

Here are the playlists:

Apple II Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqZgDMcq6TOZDwwvMHx4eMpG
Apple IIGS Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqYvjIbv_9BOT1LDxFvdEh1T
Apple III Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqbrIXB2smjj1MqWhg91Q9ti
Apple I Games - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyBvc1Y7TSqbZGax0-lOVafzV3ly5pk1i

I've recorded some Apple I, Apple II, Apple III and Apple IIGS software too, but they are not yet uploaded and sorted in playlists on the channel.

I try my best, but I am sure it can be even better, so any feedback on the quality, gameplay, descriptions, resolution, colors, rendering techniques etc... will be gladly appreciated. I rarely narrate my videos, since I am not a native English speaker, but this is an option as well. Also I can add some music soundtracks for the more silent games, but for now I keep the raw 1-bit DAC sound for the Apple II/III games and I love the IIGS soundtracks.

Kind regards
Adrian Wallaschek
2018-02-08 23:48:24 UTC
You might like "Crisis Mountain". I loved it.
Anthony Ortiz
2018-02-09 00:10:34 UTC
No no no... do not deter him from playing the best Apple II RPG that never was (aside from the Ultima's of course) : "The Dark Heart of Uukrul".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzFhk6-hURE

note : just watch the first few minutes for a synopsis; don't watch the rest as it walks through the entire game and contains spoilers galore.
v***@hirudov.com
2018-05-28 04:24:01 UTC
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:48:26 AM UTC+2, Adrian Wallaschek wrote:
> You might like "Crisis Mountain". I loved it.

I've played Crisis Mountain and I reached level A (10). In the manual it says there are 9 levels then you win, but when I looped the score (i.e. reached over 100,000 score) the high score was saved at 88585 and I didn't win at all after level 9. Probably I have bad version that have the end sequence removed.

I did Canyon Climber longplay as well.
qkumba
2018-05-28 20:17:47 UTC

There's no end sequence, as far as I know. It just keeps playing, and the levels go through the alphabet. The score saves only the low part that fits in 5 digits.
v***@hirudov.com
2018-05-30 04:29:27 UTC
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 11:17:49 PM UTC+3, qkumba wrote:
> > I've played Crisis Mountain and I reached level A (10). In the manual it says there are 9 levels then you win, but when I looped the score (i.e. reached over 100,000 score) the high score was saved at 88585 and I didn't win at all after level 9. Probably I have bad version that have the end sequence removed.
>
> There's no end sequence, as far as I know. It just keeps playing, and the levels go through the alphabet. The score saves only the low part that fits in 5 digits.

I've read the manual at ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/games/misc/Crisis%20Mountain%20Manual.pdf

that says there are 9 levels. Or this is for the other version of the game for other platforms, but the manual says for Apple II. Probably, We shall ask David Shroeder, who wrote a post about the game https://venturebeat.com/2016/01/04/crisis-mountains-main-lesson-no-such-thing-as-a-random-number/
qkumba
2018-05-30 06:13:52 UTC
Okay, I just played through the Apple II version with an original disk.
After level 9 comes level A.
No end sequence.
Maybe it was planned but never added.
qkumba
2018-05-31 23:27:03 UTC
If you want a game with nice ending sequence, try Lady Tut.
The ProDOS version is probably best because it doesn't require flipping the disk.
v***@hirudov.com
2018-06-07 03:44:54 UTC
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 9:13:53 AM UTC+3, qkumba wrote:
> Okay, I just played through the Apple II version with an original disk.
> After level 9 comes level A.
> No end sequence.
> Maybe it was planned but never added.

I got an answer from David Schroeder as a comment on my video.
He says he is surprised to see that the box and document implied that there were only 9 levels. Here is a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/pl3ql3PbZKs

A 37 years old Apple II mystery finally solved.

Now I am back to longplaying more excellent Apple games.

Regarding Lode Runner that was mentioned in the posts before. I've completed Lode Runner (all the 150 levels), but for the probably wrong platform - Apple Macintosh (which has a lesser version than the Apple II one). And I even had to complete it twice (more than 10 hours of gameplay), because the first time something happened to my recording and it was lost after level 16.
qkumba
2018-06-07 15:40:12 UTC
Great that he responded.
A minor note: the summary says "Canyon Climber" instead of "Crisis Mountain".
s***@gmail.com
2018-03-28 13:57:13 UTC
I'll just put 3 out there;
Wings of Fury
Black Magic
Dino Eggs
Henry Pedro
2018-03-28 16:54:52 UTC
Marble Madness. //e / Iic only, though.
j***@gmail.com
2018-04-22 23:46:34 UTC

Airheart belongs on the list. Joystick and 128K Apple //e or better required.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2018-04-23 00:24:49 UTC
Another vote for:

* Captain Goodnight and the Islands of Fear
* Championship Lode Runner (I'm still bummed I lost my hint book :-/)
* Lode Runner (I completed all 150 levels back in the 80s)
* Rescue Raiders
* Wings of Fury
m***@gmail.com
2018-04-24 10:40:53 UTC
Lots of great games mentioned, some that haven't been mentioned so far that are well worth playing are the Bard's Tale series, the Wolfensteins (Castle Wolfenstein, Return to Castle Wolfenstein), Aztec, .....

Moose
j***@gmail.com
2018-04-24 18:09:10 UTC

Wolfenstein and Aztec are some good influential picks.
N.N. Thayer
2018-06-11 10:45:42 UTC
The original Wasteland by Interplay would be great for a longplay - a really, really long play. You'll need to print out the story/manual so that you can follow along and read the necessary text as the game prompts you.