Anyone ever seen "II Write" Word Processor?
Polymorph
2017-07-25 08:20:33 UTC
Hi All,

So I was browsing eBay and came across this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152636579248

What got me is that I've never heard of this word processor before, and reading the box it sounds pretty neat. Looks to be a pretty late software release (1989) for the Apple II with Mac-like menu's.

I did a quick search of the usual suspects and came up dry. Even good old Google didn't turn up much...

Anyone ever come across it? Know where to find it?

I'm curious to try it out and see if it's as good as it sounds. It may have only been released to educational institutions??

TIA,
Mike
http://apple2.sytes.net/
Polymorph
2017-07-28 05:00:28 UTC
I guess no one else has heard of it either... :-(

It's a shame, it looked pretty cool (if the box is anything to go by).

Cheers,
Mike
g***@sasktel.net
2017-07-28 05:48:51 UTC
Post by Polymorph
I guess no one else has heard of it either... :-(
It's a shame, it looked pretty cool (if the box is anything to go by).
Cheers,
Mike
Maybe it was only available to schools as this seems to be a school edition.

BeagleWrite is a pretty good WYSIWYG word processor as well, but my biggest pet peeve is the Find/Replace doesn't auto clear and have to constantly back space to erase the entry.

But since this one more closely resembles Macintosh software, it may handle better as a word processor.
Nicola
2017-07-28 15:03:12 UTC
Post by g***@sasktel.net
Post by Polymorph
I guess no one else has heard of it either... :-(
It's a shame, it looked pretty cool (if the box is anything to go by).
Maybe it was only available to schools as this seems to be a school edition.
Sounds like a task for professional rescuers of unpreserved software ;)
Post by g***@sasktel.net
BeagleWrite is a pretty good WYSIWYG word processor as well
Is anyone able to run the version from Asimov or MacGUI Vault? When I
try to open the .po file, I get an unknown format error both in
Virtual ][ and OpenEmulator.

Nicola
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-28 17:39:05 UTC
Ah, I thought the request was on Facebook...

Download II Write at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/iiwrite/

Antoine
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-28 18:00:30 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Ah, I thought the request was on Facebook...
Download II Write at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/iiwrite/
Antoine
Is the graphic screen from Eagle Nest by Mindscape?

Marco
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-28 18:40:38 UTC
I don't know. We imported that title in 1990 from a US crack, cannot say more,
av
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-28 19:10:17 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
I don't know. We imported that title in 1990 from a US crack, cannot say more,
av
OK, meanwhile I checked and yes that screen is from Eagle Nest weird indeed! No signature of the "pirate" only an image from elsewhere.

Interesting SW a first look suggest that there be more: control panel, speller,...

Marco
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-28 19:49:19 UTC
Yep, hence the eBay auction to complete (or I'll search the other disks in my mess)
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-28 20:20:57 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Yep, hence the eBay auction to complete (or I'll search the other disks in my mess)
Your mess is a resource.

Begin of the off-topic

In my mess I found ProDos Tetris for //e enanched //c and //c+. It's was in the "last place" of the archive because IMHO is a little bugged, the ACS/Deckard version is better and comes with sources.

End of the off-topic

Marco
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-28 21:33:51 UTC
Is your Tetris game, the Broderbund version put on ProDOS? If so, by whom?
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-29 06:43:21 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Is your Tetris game, the Broderbund version put on ProDOS? If so, by whom?
It is from SpectrumHolobyte, 3.5" disk with the //gs version. Many, to many!, years ago someone copied for me only the 8-bit part on a 5.25" floppy. Now it is on Asimov. I think that there are little bugs because the game load always the same background no matter the level you start, when you go up one level a new image is loaded but sometimes (I don't test it thoroughly) show the wrong description, something like: show Urali, label Soyuz.

Marco
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-29 09:26:44 UTC
Oops Marco, you are right, sorry. It is Spectrum Holobyte. I got lost because of Broderbund's 18-sec protection on that title. What a shame!
And the story behind the release of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte is worth reading, I do not have a link handy but Google will give the answer easily!

Antoine
qkumba
2017-07-29 18:55:05 UTC
Read it on the amazing http://filfre.net
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-29 21:51:59 UTC
Post by qkumba
Post by Antoine Vignau
And the story behind the release of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte is worth reading, I do not have a link handy but Google will give the answer easily!
Read it on the amazing http://filfre.net
Thank you, qkumba.

I looked at the II Write auction once more. It appears that it is v2 (different from mine then) but it does not include any font nor spelling dictionary disk. It includes a backup copy (so, OK, the program is copy-protected) and a students disk.

Is that worth the purchase...

Antoine
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-30 09:12:22 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Post by qkumba
Post by Antoine Vignau
And the story behind the release of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte is worth reading, I do not have a link handy but Google will give the answer easily!
Read it on the amazing http://filfre.net
Thank you, qkumba.
I looked at the II Write auction once more. It appears that it is v2 (different from mine then) but it does not include any font nor spelling dictionary disk. It includes a backup copy (so, OK, the program is copy-protected) and a students disk.
Is that worth the purchase...
Antoine
The Digital Antiquarian was already in my bookmarks!

No, I don't think so. If you look at the picture of the quick card, you can notice that in v2.0 "control panel" and "//spell" disappear from the file menu. Probably they never existed...

Marco
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-29 22:28:25 UTC
Post by qkumba
Post by Antoine Vignau
And the story behind the release of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte is worth reading, I do not have a link handy but Google will give the answer easily!
Read it on the amazing http://filfre.net
Whelp -- there goes the afternoon. ;-)

(Thanks for the interesting link!)
Polymorph
2017-07-29 00:41:05 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Ah, I thought the request was on Facebook...
Download II Write at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/iiwrite/
Antoine
Cool... thanks so much as always Antoine!

I'm going to try it out on my //c Write now! (pun intended)

Cheers,
Mike
Matthew Power
2017-07-29 01:14:15 UTC
I just want to say thanks to all for introducing me to //Write. I made a floppy of it from the links in this forum, and it works and prints great! I wish it had more fonts, and I have no idea if fonts could be copied over from something like Beagle Write, But I might give it a shot when I return from vaca... Peace
Nicola
2017-07-29 07:41:26 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Ah, I thought the request was on Facebook...
Download II Write at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/iiwrite/
Thank you very much! It looks nice indeed.

This is version 1.01. The one on eBay is 2.01. So, the quest is
not over!

Nicola
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-28 17:57:04 UTC
Post by g***@sasktel.net
BeagleWrite is a pretty good WYSIWYG word processor as well
Is anyone able to run the version from Asimov or MacGUI Vault? When I
try to open the .po file, I get an unknown format error both in
Virtual ][ and OpenEmulator.
Nicola
Ciao bello... lets switch to a "barbarian" language!
I have BeagleWriter installed on my AppleWin virtual HD, no problem here.
Feel free to contact me via email or twitter if you need the image or further advice.

Marco
Nicola
2017-07-29 08:00:38 UTC
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by g***@sasktel.net
BeagleWrite is a pretty good WYSIWYG word processor as well
Is anyone able to run the version from Asimov or MacGUI Vault? When I
try to open the .po file, I get an unknown format error both in
Virtual ][ and OpenEmulator.
Nicola
Ciao bello... lets switch to a "barbarian" language!
I have BeagleWriter installed on my AppleWin virtual HD, no problem here.
Good tip, AppleWin gives a more explicit error message.
It turns out that (cough cough) I hadn't checked the file size and I was
naïvely trying to insert it as a 140KB disk image...

Nicola
N.N. Thayer
Didn't you hear? "Everything important" has already been archived. ;)
D Finnigan
2017-07-30 16:50:38 UTC
Post by N.N. Thayer
Post by Nicola
Post by g***@sasktel.net
Post by Polymorph
I guess no one else has heard of it either... :-(
It's a shame, it looked pretty cool (if the box is anything to go by).
Maybe it was only available to schools as this seems to be a school edition.
Sounds like a task for professional rescuers of unpreserved software ;)
Didn't you hear? "Everything important" has already been archived. ;)
This word processor was so important that very few people here had heard of
it. ;)

g***@sasktel.net
2017-07-30 05:04:08 UTC
Post by g***@sasktel.net
Post by Polymorph
I guess no one else has heard of it either... :-(
It's a shame, it looked pretty cool (if the box is anything to go by).
Cheers,
Mike
Maybe it was only available to schools as this seems to be a school edition.
BeagleWrite is a pretty good WYSIWYG word processor as well, but my biggest pet peeve is the Find/Replace doesn't auto clear and have to constantly back space to erase the entry.
But since this one more closely resembles Macintosh software, it may handle better as a word processor.
After playing with it for a bit, I think I have to give Beagle Write the upper hand.

Two things that are an absolute must on BW that IIWrite doesn't have is:

1) the ESC key pulls down the menus
2) the ability to invert the screen; I prefer white text on black background