ZX Spectrum
2017-10-05 17:20:28 UTC
Wow, look at the funding on ZX Spectrum Next!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835143999/zx-spectrum-next

What would an Apple II Next look like, and would it get a similar backing?
Bobbi
2017-10-05 17:27:32 UTC
Meh ... I like my vintage machines vintage. It's not like original Speccys are so rare.
Anthony Ortiz
2017-10-05 18:26:47 UTC
Well, we already know the naysayers will say 'meh' but what do all you yay-sayers say?
Your Name
2017-10-05 20:04:58 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Meh ... I like my vintage machines vintage. It's not like original Speccys are so rare.
Nor were they any good. Just another in Sinclair's on-going pile of
garbage toys. :-)
cb meeks
2017-10-05 19:47:33 UTC
Wow, look at the funding on ZX Spectrum Next!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835143999/zx-spectrum-next
What would an Apple II Next look like, and would it get a similar backing?
I currently have two ZX Spectrum clones. Not Russian clones but clones made from the reverse engineering Chris Smith did of the ULA chip. Nowadays, we have a 100% cycle accurate clone using 74 logic chips of the ZX Spectrum. We have new injection molded cases you can buy. New rubber keyboards. New face plates. And new keyboard ribbon cables.

So, technically, you can now build a 100% cycle accurate ZX Spectrum using ALL NEW PARTS. That's pretty amazing. I wished other vintage computers could say the same. But, the simplicity of the Speccy is why this is possible.
Bobbi
2017-10-05 20:02:52 UTC
Out of curiousity, are there any parts in the II / II+ that can not be purchased new? (The IIe and IIc have some custom ULAs of course.)
Raymond Wiker
2017-10-05 20:05:55 UTC
The keyboard, and the keyboard controller chip would both be difficult.
cb meeks
2017-10-09 15:03:31 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Out of curiousity, are there any parts in the II / II+ that can not be purchased new? (The IIe and IIc have some custom ULAs of course.)
The DRAM chips would be hard to find too. You can find them as "old new stock" but they aren't made anymore. I would imagine most of the TTL chips have modern versions.

I would love to see a schematic of a modern Apple II clone that used all new parts and NO PLD (CPLD, FPGA, etc.).