Looking for Mac OS diskmags
Stephen Thomas Cole
2013-04-11 08:24:19 UTC
Hello folks. As per subject, I am trying to find Apple diskmags, specific
to the Mac OS, from the late 80s to late 90s era (classic OS). Not had
much luck yet, although I have found that Softdisk published a commercial
entity "SoftDisk for Mac" (originally Diskworld) from 1989 to 1998, which
is why I'm crossposting to the Apple II group as Softdisk had a long
running II diskmag so I'm hoping somewhere there may know where I can
source an archive. Syndicomm seemed to have recently held a licence for
the Softdisk titles, they were certainly selling the II mag archives, but
it looks like they no longer hold that.

I don't know if such ever really existed for Mac OS, but I'd be really
keen to find diskmags of the more homebrew persuasion, demo/warez scene
maybe. I have an interest in Amifa also and there were hundreds of little
bedroom publications for that platform. Would be neat to find same for
Mac!

Cheers!
--
-------------------
Stephen Thomas Cole
-------------------
Lewis
2013-04-11 12:52:43 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
[...]
What exactly do you mean by "diskmag"?

MacAddict (1996-2007) published with a disc in all its issues and early
on they included things like system updates from Apple as well as a
bunch of third party utilities. This was back in the ancient times when
downloading 650MB was ridiculous because it would take a week and you'd
have no place to put it anyway.

MacAddict became something else, and I do not think the new magazine
includes discs.
--
"Here comes sunrise. Yeah, here's your sunrise. I used to hide from the
sun, tried to live my whole life underground, why'd you have to rise and
ruin all my fun? Just turn over; close the curtains on the day."
Stephen Thomas Cole
2013-04-11 14:03:55 UTC
Post by Lewis
What exactly do you mean by "diskmag"?
A diskmag was, simply, a magazine on a floppy disk, usually distributed by
BBS or PD houses/cracking teams. For Amiga, C64, Apple II, there were
loads of them and most were 100% homebrew efforts. Perhaps there wasn't a
direct equivalent for Mac OS, but I'd be surprised if there were
absolutely zero similar.
--
-------------------
Stephen Thomas Cole
-------------------
Alex Lee
2013-04-11 23:42:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Lewis
What exactly do you mean by "diskmag"?
A diskmag was, simply, a magazine on a floppy disk, usually distributed by
BBS or PD houses/cracking teams. For Amiga, C64, Apple II, there were
loads of them and most were 100% homebrew efforts. Perhaps there wasn't a
direct equivalent for Mac OS, but I'd be surprised if there were
absolutely zero similar.
I could be wrong, but I don't think diskmags were as popular in the
U.S. as they were in Europe and the U.K.

- Alex
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/
Egan Ford
There's some softdisk/diskworld hits here: http://macintoshgarden.org/
D Finnigan
2013-04-14 17:32:46 UTC
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Hello folks. As per subject, I am trying to find Apple diskmags, specific
to the Mac OS, from the late 80s to late 90s era (classic OS). Not had
much luck yet, although I have found that Softdisk published a commercial
entity "SoftDisk for Mac" (originally Diskworld) from 1989 to 1998, which
is why I'm crossposting to the Apple II group as Softdisk had a long
running II diskmag so I'm hoping somewhere there may know where I can
source an archive. Syndicomm seemed to have recently held a licence for
the Softdisk titles, they were certainly selling the II mag archives, but
it looks like they no longer hold that.
You might also look for the Macazine. Here are some Usenet articles about
it:
http://macgui.com/usenet/search.php?q=macazine
--
]DF$