fastchip incompatibilities
w***@gmail.com
2017-09-08 18:34:26 UTC
My Fastchip IIe arrived about 10 days ago. Unfortunately what with working 7 days a week, 12 or more hours a day so I haven’t had a lot of time to use it. Tried it with a IIe equipped with a Ramworks with a VGA extender and a superdrive card and that went well. Then, largely because it was sitting closest to the IIe, I tried a SD Disk][ card. There I ran into difficulties. It was in floppy drive mode so I tried setting the slot to normal and tried a different slot. Tried setting the fastchip to 1mhz, That didn’t help but turning off the fastchip did. Tried a Transwarp and the SD Disk][ worked fine with it. Moved the SD Disk][ and fastchip over to another IIe with the same results. Changed the SD Disk][ over to HD emulation and then it worked fine. So a partial incompatibility in that HD emulation works fine and you could use the floppy drive emulation by turning off the fastchip whenever you needed to access the emulated floppy and turning it back on in between.
Ianoid
2017-09-09 10:54:29 UTC
I'm really enjoying the Fastchip, also with a caveat.

I've found that ProDOS doesn't like to start up (at least from my CFFA3000) faster than 5.5mHz. I can start a program at that speed and then crank up the speed to 16mHz after it boots.

With the color changing and control remote, it gives me that sense of wonder and joy that a real Apple product can.
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-09 17:27:17 UTC
That is weird, Ian. Mine boots on ProDOS 8 at 16,6 MHz with no issue. Which version are you using?
Ianoid
2017-09-10 10:59:21 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
That is weird, Ian. Mine boots on ProDOS 8 at 16,6 MHz with no issue. Which version are you using?
512K slot 1
EDD slot 3
Mockingboard slot 4
CFFA 3000 slot 5
Disk ][ slot 6
VGA adapter slot 7 (which incidentally still works as a virtual drive)
8m A2heaven Ramworks slot 0

all set to normal speed I believe

I only messed with the game port and music speeds in Fastchip settings.
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-10 12:23:06 UTC
And the version of Prodos?
Did you turn off the extra memory support included in the fastCHIP?
p***@controlmicro.net
2017-09-10 21:06:11 UTC
Hi

Can you shot picture of your Apple II Motherboard ( i needed to see chips revision and type ) ?

Also can you boot DOS3.3 from CFFA in 16.6 Mhz and do you have any other issues ?

please send answer to ***@a2heaven.com

regards
Plamen
Jorge
2017-09-10 23:14:29 UTC
Post by p***@controlmicro.net
regards
Plamen
Hi Plamen,

I want to buy one of these but whenever I go/went to the site since day #1 it says "out of stock". Is there a waiting list or something? I very much want one, please!

Thanks,
Jorge
p***@controlmicro.net
2017-09-12 20:19:32 UTC
Hi

Due to i am very busy with my office work ( apple ii is only hobby ) i list small amount ( 10-12 pcs ) of FASTChip //e in www.a2heaven.com and after send packages i list new .

In this moment is prepared batch #7 .
Jorge
2017-09-12 20:30:49 UTC
Post by p***@controlmicro.net
Hi
Due to i am very busy with my office work ( apple ii is only hobby ) i list small amount ( 10-12 pcs ) of FASTChip //e in www.a2heaven.com and after send packages i list new .
In this moment is prepared batch #7 .
It still shows as "out of stock" !

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding... ?
Jorge.
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-12 21:03:35 UTC
So... perharps it is time to open our compatibility test sheet that is available @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hidWcc5zuwDTpEjWdjHOYhxjPakEpOE76nSslFH9ItU/edit?usp=sharing

...and you'll see that fastCHIP //e works like a charm on a couple of different hardware configurations.

Antoine
p***@controlmicro.net
2017-09-13 21:18:37 UTC
batch #7 is not ready yet . Estimated delay is 2-3 days .