So you want to put a Raspberry Pi in your Apple II...
Add Reply
Scott Alfter
2018-02-02 18:02:44 UTC
I just sent this out for fabrication...should have ten of these in a month
or so:

https://gitlab.com/salfter/A2RPi_v2

While converting my design from gEDA to KiCad, I revised it to eliminate the
mechanical interference I had with the first version. It also has wider
traces overall (especially for power), copper pours (mainly a
manufacturability concern), and no solder mask around the edge-connector
pins (except maybe a little at the front and back, well away from the
contacts). The SMD resistors and capacitors were also upsized from 0805 to
1206 to make the board easier to assemble.

Here are a couple of renders...the finished board will use red soldermask,
but the rendering software (panelization software, actually) defaulted to
green:

https://alfter.us/wp/a2rpi_v2_top/
https://alfter.us/wp/a2rpi_v2_bot/

I won't need all of the boards I have on order, so once I have them in and
I've assembled one and verified that it works like the previous one did, the
extras will most likely be available as bare boards at a fairly low cost. I
might also offer assembled boards...was going to say I'd have to hunt down
6551s on eBay, but then I remembered this:

https://www.unicornelectronics.com/IC/6500.html

They end up costing more than the rest of the BOM, but that's probably to be
expected at this point (and they're still selling for less than I've seen on
eBay).

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
Anthony Ortiz
2018-02-02 19:28:56 UTC
Nice work! On the flip side perhaps we should be asking if you want to put an Apple II in your Raspberry Pi!
Ralph Glatt
2018-02-03 14:46:47 UTC
Nice work! On the flip side perhaps we should be asking if you want to put an Apple II in your Raspberry Pi!
Do you mean running an Apple // emulator on a Raspberry Pi? I think that may have been done. I seem to remember one guy who did something similar. He put an Apple // emulator in a Raspberry Pi and put it into a 3D printed mini-Apple // case.
James Davis
So, is this 'like' a co-processor, or does it completely take over your Apple-II(x), making it into a Linux computer?
Scott Alfter
2018-02-06 15:43:35 UTC
Post by James Davis
So, is this 'like' a co-processor, or does it completely take over your
Apple-II(x), making it into a Linux computer?
It's basically a stripped-down Super Serial Card. It connects to a
3.3V-level serial port on the Raspberry Pi GPIO header, and it provides
power. The intended use is that you would plug a monitor into the Raspberry
Pi and run most of your code on it, with the Apple II providing a keyboard
and floppy drives to software running under Linux (including a IIGS
emulator) on the Raspberry Pi.

_/_