Taking Oregon Trail (the Apple ][ version) apart
Steve Nickolas
2018-03-02 14:21:18 UTC
This is going to probably be a lot of random crap, but I've been digging
around the code of Oregon Trail and seeing what I can find. Possibly this
won't be of interest or make sense to a lot of people.

A look at the disk contents will state the obvious - it's a mix of
assembler and BASIC. (And as such it won't run on the ][, it needs a
][+. Odell Lake, Word Munchers and Number Munchers, OTOH, only need a 64K
][.)

Test 1: Boot Oregon Trail. When you get to the menu, pop the drive, hit
ESC twice, then Ctrl-Reset to BASIC. Note the following code is
unfinished, but it will demonstrate its point well enough.

10 HIMEM:16384: &HOOK: &HSP,1
20 AMMO=100: FOOD=0
30 &HUNT,AMMO,0,0,0,0,0,CTCH,AMMO
40 PRINT CHR$(12): PRINT "Ammunition remaining: ";AMMO
50 PRINT "Your catch: ";CTCH;" lbs."
60 &SPACE: PRINT CHR$(12): END

RUN

OK, that's my first find - the hunting minigame.

This won't work when you reset like that - so far I can only do it if I
trap execution and jump to E000 from the menu: You can load the PCKs with
&DUN,"filename" AT 12288,16.

I haven't figured out a way to access the music yet - or isolated the code
so I can experiment with it and not have to boot Oregon Trail first.

-uso.
Steve Nickolas
2018-03-05 10:06:35 UTC
I'm currently trying to figure something out about the sound driver, but
all I'm finding is a trap on line 955 of the OREGON TRAIL file, and the &
command in that line doesn't appear to do anything sound-related.

-uso.
Tom Porter
2018-03-08 19:24:36 UTC
I doesn't sound very advanced, just a beeper tune. Am I missing something?
Steve Nickolas
2018-03-08 21:37:22 UTC
Post by Tom Porter
I doesn't sound very advanced, just a beeper tune. Am I missing something?
Well, yeah. I was trying to isolate it and its tunes, and call them.

-uso.