Looking for silentype "synch" interface card
Stu M
2017-08-21 10:11:44 UTC
I'm looking for the interface card for the Apple Silentype, also called the "synch" card.
If anyone has one they'd be willing to part with, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Stuart
Steven Hirsch
2017-08-21 13:29:09 UTC
Post by Stu M
I'm looking for the interface card for the Apple Silentype, also called the "synch" card.
If anyone has one they'd be willing to part with, please let me know.
was this an Apple branded card? Do you have any information that would help
identify it? I may have one.
Stu M
2017-08-21 14:05:31 UTC
Yes it would be Apple branded. I'm not aware of any third-party cards for the silentype, but I learn about "new" things for the Apple II all the time!

The ones I've seen say "Synch Printer Interface Card" on the bottom left. They have a DE-9 female connector soldered to the board at 90 degrees. And yes, that's "Synch" not Sync. If you want to google about the card, you can put Synch in quotations to override google trying to "correct" you.

If anyone knows of any perhaps easier to find or make alternatives to the Synch card, please let me know. I'm curious if it's completely proprietary or some kind of RS-232.

Thanks,

-Stuart
Stu M
2017-08-22 00:25:44 UTC
What'd ya know! One just showed up on ebay for $20 with shipping. Yay! Hopefully it works.

Thanks,

-Stu
Steven Hirsch
2017-08-22 12:05:51 UTC
Post by Stu M
What'd ya know! One just showed up on ebay for $20 with shipping. Yay! Hopefully it works.
Nice find! If for some reason that doesn't work out, ping me. I'm 99% sure I
have one or more of those in a box somewhere.

Michael J. Mahon
2017-08-22 00:38:02 UTC
https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Interface%20Cards/Serial/Apple%20Synch%20Printer%20Interface%20Card%20(Silentype)/Photos/Apple%20Silentype%20Interface%20Card%20-%20Front.jpg
If anyone knows of any perhaps easier to find or make alternatives to the
Synch card, please let me know. I'm curious if it's completely
proprietary or some kind of RS-232.
Thanks,
-Stuart
As I recall, it's pretty proprietary--with direct control over the paper
feed stepper, the carriage stepper, and the thermal print head.

I think the card is documented in the Silentype printer manual.