Call for Apple IIgs serial numbers!
2014-04-21 18:44:15 UTC
Dear All,

If you are the proud owner of one or more Apple IIgs, please provide us with the serial number which you can find on the underside of the computer case (this is not the s/n on the motherboard)

Please send a mail to sn at brutaldeluxe dot fr

The objective is to gather as many s/n as possible in order to determine how many IIgs were built and sold over its production years.

Thank you,
A&O
Antoine Vignau
2014-04-23 21:24:50 UTC
Hi again,
so far, we have 70 s/n
those who want to see the data, go to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZOz6GbGMJudE81b3M3Y0VKWjl2MFlOX05EQUsxdHc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Thank you!
antoine
Bill Buckels
2014-04-24 08:46:13 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
so far, we have 70 s/n
Mostly from hoarders... err I mean collectors.

I felt like I was a 2 year old boy in a nudist colony.

What about Bithistory.org? Garrett just sold 20 IIe's and 10 IIgs's...

You can send private mail on assbook to all those guys. I saw you posted
there too of course. But a post on assbook doesn't get seen all that well
with slow page loading.

PM on assbook does not have the same intrusive stigma that it does on
usenet. Assbook is less anonymous. No handles are usually used so no
intrusion stigma.

I can think of a sh*tload of guys over there that you can contact.

Bill
Antoine Vignau
2014-04-26 15:22:05 UTC
Hello!

Thanks to you, we are over 1,000,000 (yes, one million) Apple IIgs produced!

See the data at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZOz6GbGMJudE81b3M3Y0VKWjl2MFlOX05EQUsxdHc&usp=drive_web#gid=8

Let's keep up the good work, please send your s/n to sn at brutaldeluxe dot fr

A&O
Jeremy Barr-Hyde
2016-08-09 08:03:16 UTC
Hi there
I did submit an email to the above address which bounced back as
550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name [mail499] (#5.1.1)

Below is the email originally sent with details:
Hi!
I found this address on comp.sys.apple2.
Please accept my details for the database as it is view only for the public.
IIgs Model A2S6000W Serial number E7020FKA2S6000X
Thank you
Jeremy Barr-Hyde from Canberra, Australia
Antoine Vignau
2016-08-09 17:53:52 UTC
Oops, replace sn by antoine and we're good.

Thanks for your s/n,
Antoine
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2016-08-11 15:19:10 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Oops, replace sn by antoine and we're good.
Ah, that did the trick!

I wonder how many total were ever made by Apple?

Could you put a breakdown of s/n into the google spreadsheet? :-)

Cheers,
Michael
Antoine Vignau
2016-08-12 00:11:30 UTC
It is already available, check the tabs
av
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2016-08-12 00:44:38 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
Could you put a breakdown of s/n into the google spreadsheet? :-)
It is already available, check the tabs
av
Ah, so it is -- the first tab: ReadMe -- Thanks!

Sent you an email with my 2 s/n's. :-)

Michael
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2016-08-12 00:52:01 UTC

Whoa, do you _really_ need all 27 GS's Antoine? ;-)
sicklittlemonkey
2016-08-12 04:22:37 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
It is already available, check the tabs
av
Yeah, thanks for the data.

I used it (scaled down to 1,000,000) in this answer:
http://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/459/over-its-lifetime-how-many-apple-2s-were-sold/498#498

Cheers,
Nick.
John Brooks
2016-08-16 06:18:46 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Oops, replace sn by antoine and we're good.
Thanks for your s/n,
Antoine
Here are my IIGS serial numbers:

E641ORSA2S6000
E65128HA2S6000
E9051DXA2S6000
E913PVMA2S6000
E935TDJA2S6000
E0119RFA0012LL/A

-JB
g***@gmail.com
2017-03-25 20:16:32 UTC
GREGORY S. S/N OF APPLE][GS E7273QA2S6000,E732359A2S6000,E7421KNA2S6000 .

THIS IS WHAT I GOT,
BYE FOR NOW,
GREGORY S.
magnusfalkirk
2014-04-23 22:29:10 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Dear All,
If you are the proud owner of one or more Apple IIgs, please provide us with the serial number which you can find on the underside of the computer case (this is not the s/n on the motherboard)
Please send a mail to sn at brutaldeluxe dot fr
The objective is to gather as many s/n as possible in order to determine how many IIgs were built and sold over its production years.
Thank you,
A&O
I'll have to get my GS out of it's Apple carrying case to check the serial number. I'll do that in the next day or two and e-mail it to you.

Dean
b***@gmail.com
2017-08-13 22:37:20 UTC
Just found E823UW0A2S6000 .. emailed it to the address in this thread also, if you're still into it.
b***@gmail.com
2017-08-13 22:53:53 UTC
So.. If I'm reading the numbers right, and the supposition about the serial number codes regarding manufacturing time frames, it shouldn't be possible to have a 1988 made Signature Edition. I'm not about to get down and do a chemical analysis on the plastic, but I'm about 99% certain from the even yellowing on the case of this one, that it did not receive a replacement case from a Signature Edition .. so if we assume that the first "8" in my serial number is actually 1988 manufacturing.. and the 2nd and 3rd digits are the week number.. then mine was manufactured between June 6th and June 12th 1988.

My understanding is that the Signature Edition was limited to the first 50,000 produced, but that would've been blown by the 4th week of 1987, probably, if this serial number system were all correct.

Anyone else with Signatures able to comment about what serial they have? Seems like if the assumptions about the first 2nd-4th digits are true, then there's some very flawed assumptions about the 5th-7th digits.
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-14 11:34:47 UTC
The Woz signature is on the top cover whereas the s/n is on the other part of the computer case. One could have exchanged a recent cover with a Woz one.

I am still collecting s/n. Those of the keyboard also interest me as the IIgs keyboard was made available for the IIgs computer, so its s/n is unique and not shared, as I think the computer s/n is with the Mac one.

Working from the computer s/n would show 2.5M units, that is far too high compared to the figures provided by Apple. With the keyboard a/n, we are close to one million units which is in line with Apple's messages.

Antoine
b***@gmail.com
2017-08-14 15:56:26 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
The Woz signature is on the top cover whereas the s/n is on the other part of the computer case. One could have exchanged a recent cover with a Woz one.
I am still collecting s/n. Those of the keyboard also interest me as the IIgs keyboard was made available for the IIgs computer, so its s/n is unique and not shared, as I think the computer s/n is with the Mac one.
Working from the computer s/n would show 2.5M units, that is far too high compared to the figures provided by Apple. With the keyboard a/n, we are close to one million units which is in line with Apple's messages.
Antoine
Yeah, it seems unlikely that this was swapped -- before I rescued it a couple of weeks ago, it had been sitting in a basement untouched and unused for over 20 years. There's a significant yellowing pattern on the front face, that is very consistent between the two pieces. I really suspect the only time this computer was ever opened was when it was new, and the original owner put the 1M memory expansion in it.

Total off-topic, but related to my message :) Anyone know if use of retr0bright could damage the signature? I'd really like to see this restored to it's original condition, it's a beautiful machine, with just a few scratches on it.
b***@gmail.com
Oh, yeah, and unfortunately, I do not have the keys/mouse/boot disk(s) for the computer, so i'm stuck sitting at a screen prompting me for boot device. So, no, I don't have the serial number for the keyboard. But when I obtain a keyboard, I'll be happy to come back and provide it.
Antoine Vignau
2017-08-14 16:01:08 UTC
Thank you to both of you,
av
Brian Patrie
2017-08-15 04:26:18 UTC
Oh, yeah, and unfortunately, I do not have the keys/mouse/boot disk(s) for the computer, so i'm stuck sitting at a screen prompting me for boot device.. So, no, I don't have the serial number for the keyboard. But when I obtain a keyboard, I'll be happy to come back and provide it.
If you have any Mac ADB keyboards, try them. I have an extended barge
that use with my ROM 3. (Yes, the F keys work--though i suspect that
software that uses them is vanishingly rare.)
Rebecca Bettencourt
2017-09-04 20:32:36 UTC
I have E0119SSA0012LL/A and E816H6VA2S6000.