Robotron with 2 joysticks
Nick Westgate
2017-09-03 20:25:34 UTC
Hi guys.

I was never quite satisfied with the Apple port of Robotron, though it was a great version, so I added support for two joystick play as per the arcade original.

At the same time I added support for Alex's ("Lukazi") digital joystick 4play card.

Also, since the author's name was missing from the original, I added that to the title page.

I call this mod 4JOY because it offers 4 modes of joystick play. It was demonstrated at OzKFest, and there's a pic of the setup in this archive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JBd-TShLlLbldncTJmcHh2NWM

Cheers,
Nick.
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-03 20:56:12 UTC
Thank you, Nick!
av
Lukazi
2017-09-06 00:02:23 UTC
I'm still impressed that you did not have a 4play card to test with and yet your code worked like a treat first go. Great work Nick.

Cheers,
Alex.
Nick Westgate
2017-09-13 06:09:57 UTC
Post by Lukazi
I'm still impressed that you did not have a 4play card to test with and yet your code worked like a treat first go. Great work Nick.
Heh, well as you know I just cheated by emulating the 4play card! ; - )

Cheers,
Nick.
Alex Lee
2017-09-07 09:46:15 UTC
Nice work indeed!

- Alex
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-16 22:45:55 UTC
Post by Nick Westgate
I was never quite satisfied with the Apple port of Robotron, though it was a great version, so I added support for two joystick play as per the arcade original.
Nice work Nick !

Your sources available on GitHub ?
Nick Westgate
2017-09-23 00:34:00 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
Your sources available on GitHub ?
No, it's mostly hand assembled patches to an annotated partial disassembly.

But here's another archive with the disk image and just the source file for the joystick routines.
https://goo.gl/UsSNuM

Oh! And I forgot to mention above that I added thumbstick support to AppleWin so you can play this with two thumbsticks on a modern PC gamepad such as the Logitech F310!

Cheers,
Nick.
t***@yahoo.com
how do you play this with two thumbsticks ? I got your zip of Robotron, but it will only let me move with the left thumbstick. The right thumbstick does nothing.
Nick Westgate
2018-03-10 09:37:20 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
how do you play this with two thumbsticks ?
You need to use a recent version of AppleWin and select the thumbsticks in the joystick config.

Cheers,
Nick.
Melody Ayres-Griffiths
2018-03-14 08:24:46 UTC
It also works in microM8 now in the testing build (which you can download if you start up microM8 with the -testing flag) for people who aren't on Windows and can't use AppleWin...

Thanks Nick =) Your patch makes Robotron much more fun!
Nick.
Nick Westgate
2018-03-14 09:33:13 UTC
Post by Melody Ayres-Griffiths
It also works in microM8 now in the testing build (which you can download if you start up microM8 with the -testing flag) for people who aren't on Windows and can't use AppleWin...
Great! Nice one Melody, I'll check it out soon. (After moving house...)
Post by Melody Ayres-Griffiths
Thanks Nick =) Your patch makes Robotron much more fun!
Thanks. I'm still puzzled as to why the original version left this out.

Cheers,
Nick.
t***@yahoo.com
2018-03-14 15:56:45 UTC
Post by Nick Westgate
Post by t***@yahoo.com
how do you play this with two thumbsticks ?
You need to use a recent version of AppleWin and select the thumbsticks in the joystick config.
Cheers,
Nick.
I got it working. Thanks. I LOVE this game...