Accessing FTP sites
2017-07-13 18:35:44 UTC
How do you access FTP sites (on any computer/OS)?

On my Windows 7 PC, I just use Windows Explorer. If you create a Windows shortcut to an FTP site like Asimov <ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/>, Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) will open it for you to peruse (if you are connected to the internet). Then you can copy, drag, or drop, any file or folder from that site to a folder on you PC.

James Davis

P.S. I opened this Topic to allow people with experience to help people without experience.
Antoine Vignau
2017-07-13 19:02:24 UTC
I use Fetch, a dedicated software on my Mac machine
Polymorph
2017-07-13 22:20:58 UTC
Although I don't seem to need FTP clients as much as I did in the past, when I do I use FileZilla on Windows.

The reason I don't need an FTP client so much is that I make local mirrors of the FTP sites I'm interested in (using HTTrack). Then I can search/browse at my leisure. ;-)

Cheers,
Mike
groink_hi
2017-07-14 03:46:42 UTC
My personal preference is FileZilla. Supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Besides the basic FTP capabilities, it also can handle secured FTP, among other types of file transfer protocols. And, it is constantly being updated.
Steve Nickolas
2017-07-14 07:50:26 UTC
Post by James Davis
How do you access FTP sites (on any computer/OS)?
On my Windows 7 PC, I just use Windows Explorer. If you create a
Windows shortcut to an FTP site like Asimov
<ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/>, Windows Explorer (NOT Internet
Explorer) will open it for you to peruse (if you are connected to the
internet). Then you can copy, drag, or drop, any file or folder from
that site to a folder on you PC.
Under the hood it's the same.

I sometimes use Filezilla, sometimes Seamonkey, and sometimes NCFTP.

-uso.
Marco Verpelli
2017-07-14 12:00:49 UTC
Opera browser from Win 10 and Debian.
Command line for uploading.

Marco
Mark D. Overholser
2017-07-14 16:11:38 UTC
Post by James Davis
How do you access FTP sites (on any computer/OS)?
Filezilla on Windows and Mac and Linux...

Also, WGET on Windows and Mac and Linux..

Also use Firefox or Seamonkey, on Windows and Mac and Linux...

MarkO
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-14 16:15:22 UTC
Post by Mark D. Overholser
Also, WGET on Windows and Mac and Linux..
I'll second that.

WGET and/or CURL for Linux/OSX.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-07-14 16:14:15 UTC
Post by James Davis
How do you access FTP sites (on any computer/OS)?
* FileZilla - cross-platform: Windows, OSX, Linux
* Native FTP client in Chrome / Firefox for quick downloads
James Davis
2017-07-14 18:41:27 UTC
Post by James Davis
How do you access FTP sites (on any computer/OS)?
... I opened this Topic to allow people with experience to help people without experience.
Please, also add:

How you access FTP sites using Apple II computers?
Or, if you just use Apple Disk/File Transfers to get things from other OSes onto your Apple IIs?

And:

Does anybody use Torrents for FTP access?

James Davis
Andrew Roughan
2017-07-16 02:37:28 UTC
Post by James Davis
How you access FTP sites using Apple II computers?
Ewen's SAFE FTP for the IIgs

Kelvin Sherlock
ProLine: ***@pro-kegs
D Finnigan
2017-07-15 23:31:39 UTC
Post by Kelvin Sherlock
On the IIgs side, you can use gwftp or BSD's ftp from GNO/ME.
Or the recently released SOS FTP NDA.
Did you really post this using ProLine?

For others: here is a link to download gwftp--
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=32068
--
]DF$
Apple II 40th Anniversary User's Guide: