ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual
Add Reply
Bobbi
2017-09-12 19:46:59 UTC
Is there a PDF version of the ProDOS 8 Tech Reference Manual on the net somewhere? I can only find an HTML-formatted version. Thanks!!
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-12 20:58:38 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Is there a PDF version of the ProDOS 8 Tech Reference Manual on the net somewhere? I can only find an HTML-formatted version. Thanks!!
I don't know but I know there are two on eBay at that time and I'm bidding on one because I realized that I do not have it (yet) :-)

Antoine
Bill Garber
2017-09-13 00:19:25 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
Post by Bobbi
Is there a PDF version of the ProDOS 8 Tech Reference Manual on the net
somewhere?
I can only find an HTML-formatted version. Thanks!!
I don't know but I know there are two on eBay at that time and I'm bidding
on one
because I realized that I do not have it (yet) :-)
Antoine
I found one and put it on my site... Here is the link to download it, I
hope. Try it.

http://www.sepa-electronics.com/sepaelectronicscom/Apple%20II%20PDFs/Apple_ProDOS_8_Technical_Reference_Manual.pdf

Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *
Bobbi
2017-09-13 00:31:01 UTC
I think this is a PDF of the HTML version I found already Bill.

I am wondering if there is an actual scan of the manual somewhere.
James Davis
2017-09-13 01:54:03 UTC
Post by Bobbi
I think this is a PDF of the HTML version I found already Bill.
I am wondering if there is an actual scan of the manual somewhere.
That is it for what is available online as far as I could find, too. It is also the same one on Asimov (see list below).

I have a hardbound version. I'll have to compare them to see if they are basically the same or not. I'll get back to you on that.

Here is a list of some other ProDOS stuff also on Asimov that you might be interested in:

ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/misc/Apple 2 ProDOS Info BSC.pdf

ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Apple II Prodos User's Manual_HiRes.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Apple IIe ProDOS Supplement to the Apple IIe Owner's Manual.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Apple IIgs ProDOS 16 Reference.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Apple ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beginning with ProDOS 8 & 16.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beneath Apple ProDOS (1985).pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beneath Apple ProDOS 101 Supplement.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beneath Apple ProDOS 111 Supplement.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beneath Apple ProDOS 120 and 130 Supplement.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/Beneath Apple ProDOS_Alt.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/ProDOS Pathnames Primer.pdf
ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/os/prodos/ProDOS.File.Types.v2.0.txt
Bill Garber
2017-09-13 21:03:58 UTC
Post by James Davis
Post by Bobbi
I think this is a PDF of the HTML version I found already Bill.
I am wondering if there is an actual scan of the manual somewhere.
That is it for what is available online as far as I could find, too.
It is also the same one on Asimov (see list below).
I have a hardbound version. I'll have to compare them to see if
they are basically the same or not. I'll get back to you on that.
I pulled out my hard cover copy just now, and the Contents section
matches explicitly. I am convinced that the PDF is the exact same
manual that is my hard copy.

Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *
Bobbi
2017-09-14 00:54:54 UTC
The PDF is created from the HTML version which seems to be a very good (probably manually fixed-up) OCR of the original book. I just have a preference for scanned images, which give more of the feel of the original book. However in terms of the content, the PDF/HTML version is great (and searchable too!)
awanderin
2017-09-14 01:48:43 UTC
Post by Bobbi
The PDF is created from the HTML version which seems to be a very good
(probably manually fixed-up) OCR of the original book. I just have a
preference for scanned images, which give more of the feel of the
original book. However in terms of the content, the PDF/HTML version
is great (and searchable too!)
I tried to upload a P8 Tech Ref PDF to asimov but it says:

452 Transfer aborted. No space left on device

Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com
Steve Nickolas
2017-09-14 02:23:20 UTC
Post by awanderin
Post by Bobbi
The PDF is created from the HTML version which seems to be a very good
(probably manually fixed-up) OCR of the original book. I just have a
preference for scanned images, which give more of the feel of the
original book. However in terms of the content, the PDF/HTML version
is great (and searchable too!)
452 Transfer aborted. No space left on device
Wow, Asimov ran out of disk space? That's gotta be a first.

-uso.
Anthony Ortiz
I was here when it happened! We're witnessing history my fair weathered friends!
Bobbi
2017-09-14 13:43:53 UTC
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-16 22:39:15 UTC
LOL. :-)
awanderin
2017-09-18 04:23:54 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
Post by Bobbi
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
LOL. :-)
Funny!

On the serious side, Asimov is full, and so we'll have to wait for the
maintainer to add more storage. I don't think purging things from an
archive makes any sense.
Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com
Steve Nickolas
2017-09-18 09:29:41 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
LOL. :-)
Funny!
On the serious side, Asimov is full, and so we'll have to wait for the
maintainer to add more storage. I don't think purging things from an
archive makes any sense.
Though maybe re-GZIPping the loose disk images might.

-uso.
Michael J. Mahon
2017-09-18 15:29:20 UTC
Post by Bobbi
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
LOL. :-)
Funny!
On the serious side, Asimov is full, and so we'll have to wait for the
maintainer to add more storage. I don't think purging things from an
archive makes any sense.
Though maybe re-GZIPping the loose disk images might.
-uso.
Terabytes of disk are so inexpensive now, and the Apple II world so
compact, that space-motivated efforts are unnecessary.
I am Rob
2017-09-20 05:05:53 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by Bobbi
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
LOL. :-)
Funny!
On the serious side, Asimov is full, and so we'll have to wait for the
maintainer to add more storage. I don't think purging things from an
archive makes any sense.
Though maybe re-GZIPping the loose disk images might.
-uso.
Terabytes of disk are so inexpensive now, and the Apple II world so
compact, that space-motivated efforts are unnecessary.
I'd like to see some of the .pdf's in the documentation compressed though. On a Mac running a pre-OSX, I had a program called pdf-compressor. It compressed a pdf to about 1/10 of its original size and the text was still very readable. Would make for a much faster download and keep me from going over my data limit. I connect to the internet from my computer to my cel phone which has limited data.

Rob
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-20 17:08:12 UTC
Post by I am Rob
On a Mac running a pre-OSX, I had a program called pdf-compressor.
One of the best things about OSX is that "Print to PDF" just works out-of-the-box without needing any 3rd party crap.

I was writing a HTML file with roughly ~50 images arranged in a 2-column A vs B table of 1280x720 screenshots. Printing / Saving it to PDF generated a bloated 25 MB file which is WAY too large to email (IMO).

I was able to reduce it down to 874 KB using this trick:

= Reduce PDF file size =

1. Open PDF with Preview
2. File | Export
3. Format: PDF :-)
4. Quartz Filter: Reduce Files Size

Since every image had text, obviously quality suffered, but that was tiny enough to email.

Unfortunately the Quartz filter is extremely aggressive that quality suffers drastically. To improve the PDF quality:

1. Applications | Utilities | ColorSync Utility
2. Filters
3. Reduce File Size
4. Click on pop-down menu at right side with the triangle inside circle: ▼
5. Duplicate Filter
6. Double Click on "Reduce File Size Copy" to rename it: "Reduce File Size (Medium Quality)"
7. Expand the left side menu ►
8. Change Max: 1024 Pixels, Min: 512 Pixels
9. Change Image Compression, Quality slider.

Filters reside in:

~/Library/Filters/
David Schmidt
2017-09-20 13:27:15 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by Bobbi
Time to attach another Disk II to Asimov?
LOL. :-)
Funny!
On the serious side, Asimov is full, and so we'll have to wait for the
maintainer to add more storage. I don't think purging things from an
archive makes any sense.
Though maybe re-GZIPping the loose disk images might.
-uso.
Terabytes of disk are so inexpensive now, and the Apple II world so
compact, that space-motivated efforts are unnecessary.
Asking Patrick to increase his platter count is one way to go, for sure.
But the problem is not 140k disk images - the problem is DVD-sized
ISOs that folks upload of tangentially-interesting content, rips of
audio and video content of interviews, and so on.
Jorge
2017-09-14 14:13:08 UTC
Post by Bobbi
I just have a preference for scanned images, which give more of the feel of the original book.
I do too, not only because I like the looks but also because most OCR'd datasheets and books contain errors, lots of errors, easily tens and hundreds if not thousands of errors. People using OCR should learn that even if it works "well" (say 99.9%), that means 1 mistake every 1000 chars!
Jorge.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-16 22:43:57 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
I don't know but I know there are two on eBay at that time and I'm bidding on one because I realized that I do not have it (yet) :-)
Antoine
Sorry if I was bidding against you Antoine :-)

I snagged a copy for $5 -- did you win the other one?
Antoine Vignau
2017-09-17 05:36:52 UTC
Hum, "my" auctions are ending in 15 hours. So, you were not bidding against me!

Antoine
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-20 17:08:32 UTC
Good. ;-)