Thoughts: Prince of Persia to GS in X "easy" steps?
Add Reply
Steve Nickolas
2017-08-25 00:02:51 UTC
This is a thought I've had for a while, but since the source is out there,
and since there's people with some degree of familiarity with it, maybe
it's more in the realm of possibility now.

I figure that a project like this is probably better developed in stages,
and not all at once. Apparently a very little bit exists already, dunno
how useful it would be.

I guess the first thing I'd need to do is get something I can *build*, as
I'm pretty sure the original git tree isn't that. ;) Then I need to
rewire it, so that it can, and must in fact, make use of the GS's
additional memory. I plan to require 512K, as opposed to 128K of the
original version; this ought to be plenty enough to load the code as it
is, into the GS' extra banks, not needing to put code in the lower 128K (a
lot of which will probably be used for video buffering).

Initially, the program should run as the original - no GS-specific
features. These should probably be added one at a time. I'll prolly be
learning 65816 and ProDOS-16 (GS/OS) in the hot seat.

As I've mentioned elsewhere the easiest graphics to port over are probably
the EGA ones, since the GS' native mode closest to any other system is the
320x200x16 mode, and EGA is, well, 320x200x16.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, but maybe with a few nudges in the
right direction I could pull it off.

-uso.
Steve Nickolas
2017-08-25 01:58:01 UTC
I just realized it might be *easier* to use the ST graphics.

Also, fwiw, my ASM of choice is CA65 and I'd prefer to use that if
possible, but if I have to use another just for GS/OS support (and let's
be frank, I'd rather use ProDOS-8), I do have Merlin32.

-uso.
Anthony Ortiz
2017-08-25 13:21:20 UTC
"New Prodos Ports" thread - July 20th : On that day the long awaited Prince of Persia was made to run on ProDos by no other than the highly esteemed qkumba. You may want to ask him about the sources.
Steve Nickolas
2017-08-25 13:51:13 UTC
"New Prodos Ports" thread - July 20th : On that day the long awaited
Prince of Persia was made to run on ProDos by no other than the highly
esteemed qkumba. You may want to ask him about the sources.
That's what I was mainly referring to by "there's people with some degree
of familiarity with it" ;) well, that and his other builds.

-uso.