My apple IIe marks a RAM faulty
Cyril Thibout
2018-01-30 13:14:29 UTC
Hi

Peforming the self test on my Apple IIe (enhanced) I get a

RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 message
and sometimes i get a

RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 message

Meaning two am chips are faulty. The trouble is that they are soldered on the main board.

it won't be that difficult but where can I get new chips please ?

thanks

cyril
cb meeks
2018-01-30 13:45:59 UTC
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 8:14:31 AM UTC-5, Cyril Thibout wrote:
> Hi
>
> Peforming the self test on my Apple IIe (enhanced) I get a
>
> RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 message
> and sometimes i get a
>
> RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 message
>
> Meaning two am chips are faulty. The trouble is that they are soldered on the main board.
>
> it won't be that difficult but where can I get new chips please ?
>
> thanks
>
> cyril

My best guess would be eBay. Have you identified the actual chips with equipment like a logic probe or some other device? Do you know how to de-solder it?

If not, there may be people that could help you with this. De-soldering can be tricky sometimes. Much more than just simple soldering. I have a lot of experience with soldering/de-soldering so I might be able to help.
Cyril Thibout
2018-02-02 10:45:42 UTC
Hi

No I didn't probe anything. Actually I don't know which 0/1 corresponds to which chip on the board.

Something funnny: I just purchased the FastChip //e (16.16 Mhz!!) and with it the appleIIe works like a charm !

My guess is that 90% of the board is short-circuited by the FastChip card
f***@hotmail.com
2018-02-02 13:38:59 UTC
If you have this display RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

It will be these chips (looking at bare board as it sits in the IIe with cover off) X X - - - - - - that are bad. At least that's how it was on mine (which were also not socketed).

I think Jameco still carries compatible RAM.

Henry Pedro
2018-02-09 19:09:00 UTC

You should be able to buy those old RAMs from aliexpress or (more likely) Jameco Electronics.
Chris Rupnik
2018-02-09 21:15:04 UTC
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 2:09:01 PM UTC-5, Henry Pedro wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9:14:31 AM UTC-4, Cyril Thibout wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Peforming the self test on my Apple IIe (enhanced) I get a
> >
> > RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 message
> > and sometimes i get a
> >
> > RAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 message
> >
> > Meaning two am chips are faulty. The trouble is that they are soldered on the main board.
> >
> > it won't be that difficult but where can I get new chips please ?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > cyril
>
> You should be able to buy those old RAMs from aliexpress or (more likely) Jameco Electronics.

Correct. I just purchased

IC,4164-150,DIP-16, DRAM,64KX1,150NS (MCM6665-15)

chips from jameco last week.

Chris