wondering if anyone might have an Option Key for an Apple IIc+ keyboard?
Walter Miraglia
2018-09-19 04:11:04 UTC
mine broke off, and there is little hope i can repair it.
the alps orange keypost is fine on the keyboard itself, i was able
to remove the part of the key cap that was stuck in it.

hoping someone has a keycap they are willing to sell to me?

Cheers. :)
groink_hi
2018-09-19 08:42:11 UTC
This keyboard uses the orange Alps SKCM switches. It may not be an exact match, but the option key from an Apple IIgs keyboard that uses the same orange switches might be a decent replacement.
James Davis
Have you checked in your local thrift stores for old (deceased people's ;-) Apple IIc computers? There always seems to be one or two in the thrift stores around here.
Walter Miraglia
2018-09-19 21:44:06 UTC
I appreciate the response, but finding a IIc+ was hard enough, but finding another one in a thrift store, in Canada? :) I think that would be impossible... the IIc+ was never released in Canada, and as far as I know, only the IIc+ is the only IIc that has an option key.

I'm really just hoping someone has a unit for parts and might have a spare Option Key. :)

if it doesnt work out, i may go with any other key, and "refinish" the surface to read Option. But hoping to find an option key :)

Cheers.
cb meeks
2018-09-21 13:42:10 UTC
Post by James Davis
Have you checked in your local thrift stores for old (deceased people's ;-) Apple IIc computers? There always seems to be one or two in the thrift stores around here.
You must live in the land of unicorns and rainbows. Thrift stores in my area are lucky to have beatup Dell's and broken LCD monitors.

Sometimes...when the retro gods are feeling kind.....they will throw a 3.5" floppy drive or CRT monitor my way. But finding a IIc in my local thrift store would be a call for massive celebration.
Steve Nickolas
2018-09-21 15:05:40 UTC
Post by cb meeks
You must live in the land of unicorns and rainbows. Thrift stores in my
area are lucky to have beatup Dell's and broken LCD monitors.
Thrift stores in my area don't "do" computers.

-uso.
cb meeks
2018-09-21 15:21:52 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by cb meeks
You must live in the land of unicorns and rainbows. Thrift stores in my
area are lucky to have beatup Dell's and broken LCD monitors.
Thrift stores in my area don't "do" computers.
-uso.
In my area, they have FINALLY gotten smart enough to understand that not all computers have hard drives...and, hard drives can be taken out. Leaving no trace of the original owner.

Now, my recycle center isn't so smart. Even when I offer them more money for a computer that is being recycled than they get from the smelters, they won't sell. Because all computers are "hard drives" and "hard drives" contain social security numbers.

/sigh.
Michael Black
2018-09-22 00:00:54 UTC
Post by cb meeks
Post by Steve Nickolas
Post by cb meeks
You must live in the land of unicorns and rainbows. Thrift stores in my
area are lucky to have beatup Dell's and broken LCD monitors.
Thrift stores in my area don't "do" computers.
-uso.
In my area, they have FINALLY gotten smart enough to understand that not
all computers have hard drives...and, hard drives can be taken out.
Leaving no trace of the original owner.
Now, my recycle center isn't so smart. Even when I offer them more
money for a computer that is being recycled than they get from the
smelters, they won't sell. Because all computers are "hard drives" and
"hard drives" contain social security numbers.
/sigh.
A few years ago in sci.electronics.repair we were talking about ewaste
recycling, and someone suggested it's all deliberate, to keep things out
of second hand use.

I hadn't thought of it that way before that, but it makes sense. If I can
get a GPS receiver for five or ten dollars, then I'm not going to buy a
new one. Other than a netbook and a tablet, I've not bought a new
computer since 1989 (the clearance Atari ST that was always flakey). So
I'm not a "good consumer".

IN this province, we have an "eco" surcharge on electronics, it doesn't
fully make sense since it varies with the item, and an monitor fee is
higher than a computer fee, I suspect left over from the days of CRT
monitors which were a burden. But it's not a deposit, it's just a few
that is used to deal with ewaste.

But they run ads, talking about "that old stereo" or whatever, telling us
the proper thing is to take it to ewaste recycling. No word about
reusing. Most people don't know much about technology, they let someone
else define whether something is "obsolete" or not, and now know that they
shouldn't donate it to a rumamge sale (not that those want to fuss with
electonics much anymoer) or sell it at a garage sale, but take it to
ewaste recycling. And I think it's "working", I'm seeing less
electronics waiting for the garbage truck and less electronics being sold
at rummage or garage sales.

I don't trust the "recylcers" to know what might be useful still or not.
I figure they are very broad, maybe noticing things like iPads and maybe
the very latest computers, plucknig those out to be handled, but the rest
valued only for crushing up into raw materials to be reused, the cost of
making components not important, and the cost of smashing it all up to
recover the raw materials not important.

I did get a refurbished i7 two years ago, and I suspect they do a fairly
good job of reburbishing. At $351 Canadian, I ssupect they put in a new
hard drive, things I could have done myself. But while I saved money for
a relatively recent computer (it sold originally in 2011), I did get one
with a parallel port and 2 serial ports, and PS/2 connectors, things I'm
not yet willing to give up, but probably wouldn't find if I bought new.
But there is less differential in price here between refurbished and new,
and buying a used computer at a rummage or garage sale.

Most places wouldn't recognize "antique" electronics. In the nineties I
was able to get some really good stuff, like my IIGS, at school rummage
sales, and interesting shortwave receivers and my HP 4P laser printer for
$15. But for most people, and surely in the ewaste business, it's all
"just old" and not worthy of finding a proper home for it.

Michael
Michael Black
2018-09-22 00:08:19 UTC
Post by cb meeks
Post by James Davis
Have you checked in your local thrift stores for old (deceased people's ;-) Apple IIc computers? There always seems to be one or two in the thrift stores around here.
You must live in the land of unicorns and rainbows. Thrift stores in my
area are lucky to have beatup Dell's and broken LCD monitors.
Sometimes...when the retro gods are feeling kind.....they will throw a
3.5" floppy drive or CRT monitor my way. But finding a IIc in my local
thrift store would be a call for massive celebration.
A lot of "charity" outlets don't have the types of people who know this
stuff. They don't want a lot of electronics that doesn't work (I've
gotten some of that, most people might think it's them not the equipment
and donate it), and the people working there aren't the type to be able to
test it. The people working there also can't tell what might be valuable
or not. So that 386, old but not really collectible, is in the same
category as that Tandy 200 early laptop, "obsolete electronics".

I was going to a lot of local rummage sales in the nineties, and they've
all stopped. It's not just the stuff they get, it's harder to find
volunteers to do the work. So they find other wayse to fundraise, "more
efficient" they say. But then the stuff has no outlet to go to.

The local Rotary Club used to have an annual 'garage sale". They wanted
badly to kill it, and stopped at one point, going to an upscale "antique
show", I suspect getting a cut rather than having to do the work. But
after a few years they brought the garage sale back. But soone the venue
was going to be torn done and a new one in its place, so they stopped.
It took longer than ancitipated to work out the details, so a few years
went by before the old venue came down. And after the new one was built,
the Rotary CLub had a few sales elsewhere, lesser than it had been, and
then stopped without any announcement. They must be doing something that
brings in the same money since they don't need the garage sale, but
they've given up on the "reuse" aspect. It had been a popular event.

Michael
Walter Miraglia
2018-09-24 18:12:18 UTC
Keycap no longer required, existing one was repaired with a brass insert. Thank you Josh B. you did an awesome job.