Printer cards are plentiful, is there any hack that can make it do... something else.
Add Reply
Tom Porter
2018-02-04 02:04:49 UTC
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
Tom Porter
2018-02-04 02:06:07 UTC
Perhaps buy two of them, to use in a mini network between Two Apple... for a multi-player game... just as an example (but not limiting to just that idea).
James Davis
2018-02-04 03:27:38 UTC
Only if they are truly synchronous, bi-directional parallel or serial interfaces, not asynchronous, one-direction cards.
David Schmenk
2018-02-04 05:54:11 UTC
Post by Tom Porter
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
I found the Apple Parallel Interface Card to be the best, truly bi-directional card:

http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=4

Dave...
TheJ
2018-02-05 04:45:00 UTC
Post by David Schmenk
http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=4
Dave...
What about the Grappler cards? There's tons of them!
I just dug through the manual but it does not say if it is bi-directional.

I'm going to *assume* that a "Parallel Interface Card" will have a full
parallel interface implementation while "Parallel Printer cards" will be
minimized to only whats needed for Printer functionality.

Jeff Ramsey
2018-02-05 17:34:53 UTC
Post by David Schmenk
Post by Tom Porter
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=4
Dave...
Dave,

I have spent hours on your blog reading about all of the amazing things you have done with Arduino and Pi. How did I miss this post? This is awesome! I used to have the original B/W Quickcam on my IBM PS/2 486. I used it to video chat (funny to say that compared to FaceTime/skype/etc now) via AOL with complete strangers.

Hey, it was better than imaginary friends.
w***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 19:15:58 UTC
A fellow once gave a demo at our user group. He'd modified one of the grappler cards and wrote some software to connect it to a PC and use the PC as a file server. He did mention that that card was bi-directional.
David Schmenk
2018-02-07 17:15:52 UTC
Post by Jeff Ramsey
Post by David Schmenk
Post by Tom Porter
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=4
Dave...
Dave,
I have spent hours on your blog reading about all of the amazing things you have done with Arduino and Pi. How did I miss this post? This is awesome! I used to have the original B/W Quickcam on my IBM PS/2 486. I used it to video chat (funny to say that compared to FaceTime/skype/etc now) via AOL with complete strangers.
Hey, it was better than imaginary friends.
Jeff -

Glad you enjoyed it. I need to update it with some more recent posts...

I had some QuickCams lying around that I repurposed as astronomy cameras back in the '90s. Since moving on to real cameras (actually developing them) I decided to hook the QC up to the Apple II. Most of the parallel cards are somewhat bidirectional, like Mark mentioned. The APIC card was over-engineered, like most Apple cards, and the only one I found that had true bidirectional data. There could be others.

Dave...

Henry Pedro
2018-02-05 16:46:02 UTC
Post by Tom Porter
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
Back in the 80s I hacked a Parallel interface card to read an Applied Engineering Time ][ (a non-ProDOS compatible clock) from slot 7 so that ProDOS could read the "fake" clock card from slot 4. I think it emulated the time functions of a Thunderclock.
There were documented instructions about doing this somewhere. All it needed was a reprogrammed EPROM (and the AE Time ][, of course)

A parallel card can't do much - you've only some I/O and a 2k EPROM to work with.
Mark D. Overholser
2018-02-06 20:55:08 UTC
Post by Tom Porter
The subject pretty much tells the question. There are a TON of
printer cards on ebay for $10 and $15 bucks... and they all have a
bunch of chips on them. Do you think a generic printer card can be
programmed and repurposed to do something pretty cool?
ALL Parallel Cards are Bi-Directional to some extent..

You need to Output at least 8 Data Lines for Data, and a few other
Control Lines, plus 4 and a few other Control Lines for Inputs...

The PCAnywhere Parallel cables relied on this fact...

Woz's Apple Printer Card is setup to be both Input and Output... Very
Configuratble...

MarkO