816 Paint (or alternative graphics programs)
Add Reply
Mark Lemmert
2017-09-30 22:28:32 UTC
Does anybody in the group have experience with 816 Paint?

I'm using it for the first time in AppleWIN and am running into a problem using the "Format Data Disk" option in the FILE UTILITIES MENU. I select slot 6 drive 2 and get the error "IO ERROR - CHECK DISK DRIVE" I've tried this with images formatted for DOS and ProDOS (inserted in drive 2).

I also tried making a copy of the 816 Paint disk image, renaming it and then trying to use that as the data disk. I figured the original disk image would have the format the program expects, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was also wondering, is 816 Paint Apple IIgs only? It is labeled as such on apple2online.com, where I downloaded it, but it seems to run fine in AppleWIN, except for the issue mentioned above.

Alternatively, is anybody aware of any good alternatives to 816 Paint for the Apple IIe? I'm looking for a paint program to create single hi-res graphics that stores the graphics image in binary file, ideally with the hex in raster order.

Thanks much for any suggestions anyone has!

-Mark
Steve Nickolas
2017-10-01 00:26:57 UTC
Post by Mark Lemmert
I'm using it for the first time in AppleWIN and am running into a
problem using the "Format Data Disk" option in the FILE UTILITIES MENU.
I select slot 6 drive 2 and get the error "IO ERROR - CHECK DISK DRIVE"
I've tried this with images formatted for DOS and ProDOS (inserted in
drive 2).
Maybe it doesn't support formatting 140K disks?
Post by Mark Lemmert
Alternatively, is anybody aware of any good alternatives to 816 Paint
for the Apple IIe? I'm looking for a paint program to create single
hi-res graphics that stores the graphics image in binary file, ideally
with the hex in raster order.
MousePaint?

-uso.
James Davis
Try using an 800k to 32 Meg (3.5" floppy to hard drive) disk image size.
James Davis
Or, try it on a Apple IIGS emulator like GSplus, GSport, or KEGS.
datawiz
Back in the day, my go to for creating standard Hi-Res graphics was Blazing Paddles.
6***@gmail.com
2017-10-01 02:32:33 UTC
Thanks for the suggestions!

I used Copy II Plus to copy the files from the 816 paint disk image to a hard drive image and was able to launch the program in AppleWIN and save graphics files to the hard disk image.

Problem solved.

-Mark
Antoine Vignau
2017-10-01 06:20:18 UTC