New Apple II BBS!
Todd Holcomb
2017-09-04 14:33:53 UTC
Hey guys,

Captain's Quarters BBS has returned from its watery grave! I ran a BBS / AE Line under the same name in northern MN back in the mid 80's. The BBS is up and running on my all-solid-state Apple IIGS via TCPSER on a Raspberry Pi. It's got Door Games, a ton of Text Files, Apple II game downloads, and retrocomputing / retrogaming message boards. Come check it out:

telnet://cqbbs.ddns.net:6502

If you're not already online, get the Wifi232 Internet Modem for your old computer here (when it's in stock):

http://biosrhythm.com/?page_id=1453

Or use TCPser on a Raspberry Pi with a null modem cable as described here:

http://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/215/putting-your-retro-computer-on-the-line

Or use a modern terminal program like SyncTERM to logon:

http://syncterm.bbsdev.net

Hope to see you there!

-Todd Holcomb, Sysop
6***@gmail.com
2017-09-04 16:01:26 UTC
Hi Todd,
Great! Congratulations to the reopening! I saw the stuff you offer - really very much - fantastic.
Apple II
Todd Holcomb
2017-09-04 21:39:34 UTC
Thanks for helping me with all the testing!
Matthew Power
2017-09-06 00:28:58 UTC
Post by Todd Holcomb
Thanks for helping me with all the testing!
I have created an account from my Apple IIe. I enjoyed a few minutes of the BBS before I suddenly got a "timeout" message and was disconnected. I was in the middle of a Guess My Number game.

After that I tried to log back in and got the reply "Sorry, somebody is actually on the BBS right now..."

What I was able to see, though, was great stuff!
Matthew Power
2017-09-04 20:43:05 UTC
I tried to connect with my IIe and after about 20 seconds, Telnet65 returns "NO ANSWER".
Todd Holcomb
2017-09-04 21:36:21 UTC
I might have been working on it offline - try it again. Make sure you're on port 6502.
Todd Holcomb
2017-09-11 12:39:50 UTC
Two more door games have been added - thanks to Scott Johnson!
Mark Lemmert
2017-09-21 04:44:14 UTC
I really enjoy logging into this BBS (Captain's Quarters) almost daily. Good conversation in the forums and some fun games. Keep up the great work Todd!

-Mark
Todd Holcomb
2017-09-23 20:55:03 UTC
Post by Mark Lemmert
I really enjoy logging into this BBS (Captain's Quarters) almost daily. Good conversation in the forums and some fun games. Keep up the great work Todd!
-Mark
Thanks for being a regular on there!

We're up to 54 posts in the general forum and 47 posts in the Apple II forum. Half those posts are probably mine, but that's beside the point... All you other Apple II users come check it out before you get too far behind!
Mark Lemmert
2017-09-25 04:56:18 UTC
In the "never ending story" door game, the Star Wars themed story has gone a bit Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy with a odd twist involving smuggled Bantha cheese. Come join the fun!
Todd Holcomb
2017-10-16 15:09:51 UTC
Post by Mark Lemmert
In the "never ending story" door game, the Star Wars themed story has gone a bit Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy with a odd twist involving smuggled Bantha cheese. Come join the fun!
Now the theme is Star Trek, following the voyages of the starship "ReturnGift", it's ongoing mission: to seek out bad poetry throughout the Universe!

Hangman, Checkers, Craps, and Roulette have been added to the Door Games too!