Connecting Apple II+ to a modern computer?
Chris Tobar
2017-08-26 05:02:37 UTC
Ok, since it seems that I'm probably not going to be able to get my ImageWriter printer to work, at least not for now, I was wondering if there are some other interesting ways I can use the Super Serial Card in my Apple II+.

I have a modern (ish) desktop computer. It's not my main computer, but I like using it for programming and tinkering. It's running Windows 2000 and unlike new computers, it actually DOES have a serial port. (Com1 ?) I was wondering, can I connect the Apple II+ to it by hooking up a cable from the SSC? Could I use that to transfer files between the computers? Like if I wrote a BASIC program on the Apple II and have it saved on a 5.25 floppy disk, could I send the file to the modern computer via the serial connection? Then I could save it as a text file. Or vice versa, send text files from the modern computer to the Apple II+?
I've read about people converting the serial to USB, but since I have a computer that still has a serial port, I figured it would be easier to just use that.

If so, this would make things so much easier instead of having to retype code whenever I want to share BASIC programs between the Apple II and a modern computer.

And are there any other interesting uses for the SSC that I should look into?
Michael J. Mahon
2017-08-26 05:27:04 UTC
Post by Chris Tobar
[...]
You certainly can!

Check out ADTPro, both for transferring disk images and for its excellent
documentation on connecting to modern machines.
Chris Tobar
2017-08-27 02:52:49 UTC
Ok thanks, Michael. I'm definitely going to look that up!
Ralf Kiefer
2017-09-04 09:16:45 UTC
Post by Chris Tobar
And are there any other interesting uses for the SSC that I should look into?
Yes :-) ADT was mentioned by Michael. Long time ago different systems
used Kermit for (serial) communication.

- Ralf
Ewen
2017-09-05 06:34:09 UTC
Post by Ralf Kiefer
Yes :-) ADT was mentioned by Michael. Long time ago different systems
used Kermit for (serial) communication.
A full windowed version of Kermit is bulit in to Spectrum.

http://speccie.uk/software/spectrum/spectrum-downloads/

Cheers - Ewen