Rescue Raiders Cheats?
Add Reply
Tempest
2014-09-08 19:48:25 UTC
Are there any known cheats for Rescue Raiders? I love the game, but it gets really hard really fast and having to start over from the beginning each time stinks. Is there possibly a hacked version with infinite lives (or money) out there? Or possibly removing the code that deletes the saved game when you continue?
csabainian
2014-09-09 00:27:38 UTC
I remember I had a pirated version where if you rapidly typed 098 (or something like that) at the start, you could then hit another number to select the level you wanted to play - I discovered this by chance and nothing on screen indicates what's going on... anyone else find this cheat?
qkumba
2014-09-09 19:04:08 UTC
I'm looking at the 1.3 version from Frodo.
Type B'FUNGUS during play to enable cheats.
The active ones are 'J' (move far left), 'K', (move middle), 'L' (move far right), '-' (level select, accepts 1-9).
There was a set of cheats whose code remains, but no references to them.
They are the better ones, so search for this sequence:
ED 8F F3 8F F9 8F
replace ED 8F with E5 98 (now 'J' increases helicopters)
replace F3 8F with EE 98 (now 'K' makes you invulnerable to bullets and collisions with the other heli, but not balloons, bombs, or crashing)
replace F9 8F with 2A 99 (now 'L' does... I'm not sure. It looks like it might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Michael J. Mahon
2014-09-09 19:53:07 UTC
Post by qkumba
I'm looking at the 1.3 version from Frodo.
Type B'FUNGUS during play to enable cheats.
The active ones are 'J' (move far left), 'K', (move middle), 'L' (move
far right), '-' (level select, accepts 1-9).
There was a set of cheats whose code remains, but no references to them.
ED 8F F3 8F F9 8F
replace ED 8F with E5 98 (now 'J' increases helicopters)
replace F3 8F with EE 98 (now 'K' makes you invulnerable to bullets and
collisions with the other heli, but not balloons, bombs, or crashing)
replace F9 8F with 2A 99 (now 'L' does... I'm not sure. It looks like it
might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but
AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Which raises a question I've wondered about: when in the AppleWin
debugger, how do I "press a key" for the program being debugged?
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Michael "AppleWin Debugger Dev"
2014-09-15 17:49:58 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by qkumba
but
AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Which raises a question I've wondered about: when in the AppleWin
debugger, how do I "press a key" for the program being debugged?
Hmm, IN and OUT were supposed to work. Looks like this is broken. :-(

i.e.
in C000 C1

I'll log a bug report in Git later today Michael.
Michael "AppleWin Debugger Dev"
2014-09-16 04:07:56 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by qkumba
might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but
AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Which raises a question I've wondered about: when in the AppleWin
debugger, how do I "press a key" for the program being debugged?
Michael,

Use the "KEY" debugger command to stuff characters into the virtual keyboard buffer:

key 1B

Should do the trick.

I see in Keyboard.cpp that the virtual keyboard buffer size is only 2 characters. :-/

const int KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE = 2;
static int g_nKeyBufferSize = KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE; // Circ key buffer size

So let us know if you need this increased.
TomCh
2014-09-16 21:25:35 UTC
Post by Michael "AppleWin Debugger Dev"
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by qkumba
might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but
AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Which raises a question I've wondered about: when in the AppleWin
debugger, how do I "press a key" for the program being debugged?
Michael,
key 1B
Should do the trick.
I see in Keyboard.cpp that the virtual keyboard buffer size is only 2 characters. :-/
const int KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE = 2;
static int g_nKeyBufferSize = KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE; // Circ key buffer size
So let us know if you need this increased.
Hi Michael P,

Ignore this old keyboard buffer code (which is actually ifdef'ed out) - this is some legacy stuff that just needs to be removed.

The Apple II's keyboard had a buffer of 1 char only.
Michael J. Mahon
2014-09-17 00:02:43 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by qkumba
might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but
AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
Which raises a question I've wondered about: when in the AppleWin
debugger, how do I "press a key" for the program being debugged?
Michael,
key 1B
Should do the trick.
I see in Keyboard.cpp that the virtual keyboard buffer size is only 2 characters. :-/
const int KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE = 2;
static int g_nKeyBufferSize = KEY_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE; // Circ key buffer size
So let us know if you need this increased.
Even one deep is fine for me. ;-)

Thanks! (BTW, is this documented ?)
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
qkumba
2014-09-17 00:19:38 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Even one deep is fine for me. ;-)
Me too. I just tried it, it's working well.
As for the ctrl-A thing, it displays on the screen a permanent message (it continues to display during the gameplay) of up to 11 characters, when you "cont" the game. Fortunately, you can ctrl-A again to make it disappear when you "cont" the next time.
I didn't find any way to control the contents, though, and the current length is zero so nothing shows up by default. I changed the length manually to see what happens.
qkumba
2014-09-17 00:32:56 UTC
Pressing '=' during the demo seems to do something, too, since it pauses for a while. It's probably not useful for the gameplay, though.
Tempest
2014-09-09 20:09:06 UTC
Post by qkumba
I'm looking at the 1.3 version from Frodo.
Type B'FUNGUS during play to enable cheats.
The active ones are 'J' (move far left), 'K', (move middle), 'L' (move far right), '-' (level select, accepts 1-9).
There was a set of cheats whose code remains, but no references to them.
ED 8F F3 8F F9 8F
replace ED 8F with E5 98 (now 'J' increases helicopters)
replace F3 8F with EE 98 (now 'K' makes you invulnerable to bullets and collisions with the other heli, but not balloons, bombs, or crashing)
replace F9 8F with 2A 99 (now 'L' does... I'm not sure. It looks like it might display something. It appears to be used during save/load, but AppleWin won't let me press ESC anymore, once the debugger becomes active).
So there's a ' before the F? Is that all caps as well?

If someone could post a disk image with those other cheats enabled that would be great.
qkumba
2014-09-09 20:48:41 UTC
Post by Tempest
So there's a ' before the F? Is that all caps as well?
Yes, there's an apostrophe before the F.
It's stored as uppercase, but the comparison is case-insensitive.
wyeo
2014-09-10 07:27:29 UTC
The one I had played, the code to enable cheat is POPPY

Since I haven't played for in ages I cannot remember the codes.

But there are (from memory)..

- You can jump to 3 different places: your base, center of warzone, enemy's base
- extra life (i.e. extra helicopter)
- End the game and play selected different level (press something then a number)

There's no "god" mode that I am aware of, and you still have to send the demolition van to destroy the enemy's time machine.
Tempest
Well infinite helicopters might as well be god mode.
qkumba
2014-09-10 15:07:12 UTC
Post by wyeo
The one I had played, the code to enable cheat is POPPY
That might one of the 1.2 versions. For hr's 1.2, it's ZIPPY.
It has the same jumps ('J', 'K', 'L' to move left, mid, right) and level select (press '-'). It also has the extra helicopter (press '/'), invulnerability (press return), and the one that I don't know what it does (press ctrl-a).
Michael "AppleWin Debugger Dev"
2014-09-15 18:20:11 UTC
Has anyone figured out the where the map is stored in memory?

Rescue Raiders is also on my "Apple Games Disassembly Project" wish-list.

Those cheats for moving your chopper to one end of the map or the other is a gold-mine to help track this down!
j***@gmail.com
2017-07-25 21:10:11 UTC
You dont need to cheat. Just shoot lots of missiles at ground level to take out incoming tanks etc. It takes a while but it works.