KFest 2018 planning
Steven Weyhrich
2017-08-19 13:58:57 UTC
Okay, folks, you know I'm a fan of the history of stuff.

I've collected some info over the years about the various KansasFest events. And for 1995 onward, I've got a fair representation of what went on, how many were there, etc.

The biggest gap I have is in the first several years of the event, the Resource Central years.

If any of you have papers from the years 1989-94 when these events were held, I would love to see this info. Please contact me, ***@gmail.com, and let's talk about how to get that info to me. Scanned is best, but I can deal with mail, even borrowing and returning it.

I'm interested in a list of talks, list of attendees, flyers, etc, planning on using this to give the KFest story in 2018 at the event.

I would also be interested in stories about fun or amazing things that happened at a KFest event. We've heard about Roger Wagner trying to climb a building at Avila, I saw GEnie sysops running an RTC *within* the moving elevator at KFest 1994; what was memorable for YOU?

Thank you for your support!
Hugh Hood
2017-08-24 04:39:08 UTC
Steven:

You may have already seen this by now, but here's some info from the 1989
A2-Central Developers Conference, including ordering info for the videos of
the sessions!

{I'm sure 'operators are standing by' for your order} ;-)

As I look through the sessions and the presenters, all I can say is 'WOW'.

Wish I had been there, especially for the TimeOut session.

A 'Gold Star' should be awarded to the first person who tracks down these
tapes and archives them for the rest of us.

You'll also find info on the same conference in Volume 1, #7 of the
Sourceror's Apprentice (July, 1989), which contained a little interesting
trivia -- Beagle Bros requested a 4% royalty on the sales of TimeOut
accessories for non-Beagle developers. In exchange, they provided the keys
to the candy store.

Hugh Hood

=================================
Listing of recordings made at the
developer conference hosted by
A2-Central, July 21-22, 1989
=================================

Video and audio tapes containing the raw, unedited footage of each
session of July's A2-Central Developer Conference are now available. The
tapes have a strong "you-are-there" quality. Some sessions took place in a
large conference room. Questions and comments from the audience are
sometimes difficult to hear and the overhead projector display is sometimes
unclear on these tapes. Other sessions, held in classrooms, have excellent
sound and a good view of the projection screen. Other flaws in the tapes are
noted in the tape-by-tape descriptions that follow.
Video tapes are in the VHS, NTSC format commonly used in North America.
They will not play on VHS, PAL format VCRs used in other parts of the world.
Audio tapes use the standard cassette format used all over the world.

Pricing
Video Audio
$23.00 each $7.00
$128.00 set of any 6 $39.00
$236.00 set of any 12 $72.00
$325.00 all 18 $99.00

To order, use the price shown in this table for the type and quantity of
tapes you want. Send your order, including credit card number and expiration
date, by email to A2-CENTRAL. If you want to pay by check, send your order
and check to A2-Central, P.O. Box 11250, Overland Park, KS 66207. For more
information call 913-469-6502.

Apple II Update and Feedback Forum
Jonathan Eder, head of Apple's product marketing team for the Apple II
family, presents a snapshot of Apple's current view of the Apple II. Eder's
presentation is followed by questions and comments from the floor, which can
be heard on the tape or are repeated by Eder. Comments reflect developer
concern with Apple's market positioning of the Apple II and Apple's new
fee-based developer programs. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-001 audio: AT-001

Philosophy and Direction of the W65C Microprocessor Family
Bill Mensch, head of The Western Design Center, gave this keynote address
immediately after the Apple II update session. Mensch makes it clear that
he, too, is concerned about Apple's market positioning of the Apple II.
Mensch describes his vision of building parallel-processor based super
computers, software compatible with the Apple II, and urges Apple to work
with him. (Main Conference Room--about 20 minutes of the video in the middle
of this 90-minute tape is full of snow and jitters. The sound is fine.)
video: VT-002 audio: AT-002

Animation and the Apple II
A panel of programmers who have used animation in their products
demonstrate and discuss their work and the programming techniques they used
during development. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-003 audio: AT-003

Integrating music with your products
Bill Basham, author of Diversi-Tune and Jim Mensch from Apple Computer
demonstrate and discuss methods of using the powerful sound capabilities of
the IIgs. Mensch demonstrates some upcoming sound tools Apple is working on.
Session leader Bob Lindstrom describes the needs of those who write music
for computer software. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-004 audio: AT-004

Fonts, LaserWriters, and the Apple II
Mark Collins of the A2-Central Font Clearinghouse gives a brief overview
of font printing, including the implications of system 5.0 and LaserWriters.
Apple engineers answer questions, including why it's so hard to write an
ImageWriter LQ driver. (Classroom)
video: VT-005 audio: AT-005

An overview of Apple II debugging products
Chuck Kelly of Prodev demonstrates his hardware debugging card and Dave
Lyons of DAL systems demonstrates Nifty List. (Classroom)
video: VT-006 audio: AT-006

Opening doors for disabled people
David Holladay from Raised Dot Computing, Marc Farnum Rendino of Laureate
Learning Systems, and R.J. Cooper from R.J. Cooper and Associates discuss
the role of the Apple II in helping disabled people, the size and needs of
the market, and what developers can do to make their standard software
accessible to people with special needs. (Classroom)
video: VT-007 audio: AT-007

Creating application software with Hyper Studio
Roger Wagner demonstrates Hyper Studio and discusses how developers can
quickly create products that use Hyper Studio as an engine that does much of
the work. (Main Conference Room, hum on audio track)
video: VT-008 audio: AT-008

Creating application software with DB Master
Barney Stone demonstrates DB Master and describes two developer program
packs he will soon release. (Classroom)
video: VT-009 audio: AT-009

Programming with TimeOut UltraMacros
Tom Hoover, Dave Gair, and Randy Brandt demonstrate macro programming
techniques. Brant describes new features of UltraMacros 3.0. (Classroom)
video: VT-010 audio: AT-010

Marketing tips for the small developer
Chet Day and Ross Lambert tell what's worked for them as small
developers. They include a number of good tips on press releases and direct
mail. (Classroom)
video: VT-011 audio: AT-011

ProDOS 8 development environments and languages
A host of panelists describe a host of development environments for
ProDOS 8. Session includes a number of demonstrations. (Classroom)
video: VT-012 audio: AT-012

ProDOS 8 programming considerations
A team from Apple tells what every ProDOS 8 programmer should know, then
answers questions about what developers want to know. (Classroom)
video: VT-013 audio: AT-013

Laser Computers: Opportunities for Future Profits
Mike Wagner and Larry Barnes of Laser Computers describe the market
position of the Laser 128, including shipments and user demographics. They
announce a co-marketing program for developers, discuss compatibility
issues, and show developers a prototype 65816-based Laser. The prototype
does not appear on the. (Classroom)
video: VT-014 audio: AT-014

Apple IIgs development environments and languages
Members of a panel of language developers describe their current and
upcoming products. Audience members ask about other languages they'd like to
see and a spirited discussion, led by Bill Mensch, ensues about the need for
a Fortran compiler for the Apple IIgs. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-015 audio: AT-015

Apple IIgs programming considerations
A team from Apple describes things developers should be aware of when
programming under system 5.0. Much of the discussion is about the Finder,
icons, and interface guidelines. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-016 audio: AT-016

Introduction to Apple IIgs and toolbox programming
Toolbox programming is much easier because of upcoming packages that
allow menu, window, and dialog creation using the desktop interface. Bill
Stephens of So What Software and Chris Haun of RavenWare demonstrate their
Call Box and Design Master programs for simplifying toolbox programming.
(Main Conference Room)
video: VT-017 audio: AT-017

Apple II / Macintosh parallel and cross development
Apple's Gary Little, Tim Swihart, and Eric Soldan describe how, why, and
when to use a Macintosh to develop Apple II programs. (Main Conference Room)
video: VT-018 audio: AT-018

Programming TimeOut Applications
(Beagle Bros required attendees of this session to sign a non-disclosure
agreement. Although the session was taped, the essence of the session is
best captured in the paper and disk handouts Beagle Bros provided to
attendees. Therefore, we've decided not to distribute this. For more
information on TimeOut programming, we recommend you contact Beagle Bros
directly.)

Thank you for your support!
Steven Weyhrich