Corvus A2CPM.1 diskette - still looking
Add Reply
Steven Hirsch
2016-06-05 14:58:13 UTC
Time for my yearly post in search of the mythical Corvus Softcard CP/M support
diskette: 'A2CPM.1'.

I know it existed because I have the documentation for it, but have never been
able to locate either the physical diskette nor image.

There is a diskette called CSCPM, but that is not what I'm after.

If anyone comes across this, please let me know? Thanks.

Steve
Antoine Vignau
2016-06-05 16:57:08 UTC
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 4:58:14 PM UTC+2, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> Time for my yearly post in search of the mythical Corvus Softcard CP/M support
> diskette: 'A2CPM.1'.
>
> I know it existed because I have the documentation for it, but have never been
> able to locate either the physical diskette nor image.
>
> There is a diskette called CSCPM, but that is not what I'm after.
>
> If anyone comes across this, please let me know? Thanks.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

Please check the disks at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/corvus/ and tell me if it is in the lot. If not, I'll go physical and leave digital.

Antoine
Steven Hirsch
2016-06-06 12:06:51 UTC
On 06/05/2016 12:57 PM, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 4:58:14 PM UTC+2, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Time for my yearly post in search of the mythical Corvus Softcard CP/M
>> support diskette: 'A2CPM.1'.
>>
>> I know it existed because I have the documentation for it, but have never
>> been able to locate either the physical diskette nor image.
>>
>> There is a diskette called CSCPM, but that is not what I'm after.

> Please check the disks at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/corvus/ and
> tell me if it is in the lot. If not, I'll go physical and leave digital.

Thanks, Antoine.

The 'pascal11' diskette is volume CSCPM, which is definitely not the correct
one. I have an image of that second diskette here already and haven't been
able to figure out whether it's 'A2CPM.1'. If you have the physical media
would you mind posting the contents of the label?

Much appreciated!
Antoine Vignau
2016-06-06 14:13:06 UTC
It seems the second diskette is not complete but there is CPM data on it.

I'll try to reconstruct it and will dig into my 5.25" cave...
Steven Hirsch
2016-06-06 18:54:23 UTC
On 06/06/2016 10:13 AM, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> It seems the second diskette is not complete but there is CPM data on it.

If by "..not complete" you are referring to the many sectors of nulls at the
start, don't worry about it. That's the area normally used by the operating
system and is quite reasonable to see on a data-only CP/M diskette. Apple
Commander thinks the copy I have here is a valid, readable CP/M disk.

Since CP/M has no notion of a volume id or name, the only way to know if
that's the A2CPM.1 diskette would be to read the original diskette label.
Antoine Vignau
2016-06-07 03:43:19 UTC
Yes, I was referring to the many blank sectors.
OK, I can switch to the cave then...
av
s***@gmail.com
2018-01-31 22:33:19 UTC

Hi, Antoine. Did you have any luck finding the Corvus 'A2CPM.1' diskette in the cave? Still looking for it.
Antoine Vignau
2018-01-31 23:01:16 UTC
Oops!
Where's my cave? ;-)
Antoine Vignau
2018-01-31 23:04:44 UTC
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:33:21 PM UTC+1, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 11:43:21 PM UTC-4, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> > Yes, I was referring to the many blank sectors.
> > OK, I can switch to the cave then...
> > av
>
> Hi, Antoine. Did you have any luck finding the Corvus 'A2CPM.1' diskette in the cave? Still looking for it.

I'm afraid I don't have other disks than those I posted in 2016
av
6***@gmail.com
2018-02-01 05:35:39 UTC
Don't know if that helps, but these are the disks I know about:

CORVUS CPM22 UTILS.DSK

CORVUS CPMUTILS PASCAL11.DSK

omnetcpm.dsk
Steven Hirsch
2018-02-01 12:28:55 UTC
On 02/01/2018 12:35 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> Don't know if that helps, but these are the disks I know about:
>
> CORVUS CPM22 UTILS.DSK
>
> CORVUS CPMUTILS PASCAL11.DSK
>
> omnetcpm.dsk

Unfortunately, those are not it. The Constellation II software setup for
Apple CP/M asks for a PASCAL format disk with volume name 'A2CPM.1' when
trying to setup a partition for Microsoft Softcard. I'm starting to suspect
this diskette never actually shipped, since it hasn't turned up in many years
of searching.

The disks above are for generic CP/M (e.g. S-100 machine, etc).
I am Rob
2018-02-01 20:34:19 UTC

Is A2CPM.1 the name of the disk that the FORMAT.COM command for the Corvus comes on, or is it supposed to be the name of the partition that is saved on the corvus HD, or is it the name of the Softcard boot disk that has FORMAT.COM on it that the setup software wants to revise?
Steven Hirsch
2018-02-01 23:15:10 UTC
On 02/01/2018 03:34 PM, I am Rob wrote:
> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 6:29:01 AM UTC-6, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> On 02/01/2018 12:35 AM, 6502 wrote:
>>> Don't know if that helps, but these are the disks I know about:
>>>
>>> CORVUS CPM22 UTILS.DSK
>>>
>>> CORVUS CPMUTILS PASCAL11.DSK
>>>
>>> omnetcpm.dsk
>>>

>> Unfortunately, those are not it. The Constellation II software setup
>> for Apple CP/M asks for a PASCAL format disk with volume name 'A2CPM.1'
>> when trying to setup a partition for Microsoft Softcard. I'm starting to
>> suspect this diskette never actually shipped, since it hasn't turned up
>> in many years of searching.
>>
>> The disks above are for generic CP/M (e.g. S-100 machine, etc).
>

> Is A2CPM.1 the name of the disk that the FORMAT.COM command for the Corvus
> comes on, or is it supposed to be the name of the partition that is saved
> on the corvus HD, or is it the name of the Softcard boot disk that has
> FORMAT.COM on it that the setup software wants to revise?

None of the above. It's the Apple Pascal volume name (and, presumably, the
printed name) of the diskette used to set up a Softcard CP/M partition. It
probably does not have any *.COM programs on it. Most likely a set of data
files and Pascal executables. I'm sure it'a a Pascal volume, because when I
dummy up a copy of an unrelated Corvus Pascal diskette to have that volume
name, it gets one step further before complaining about a missing file. That
file (don't recall the name) does not appear on any Pascal diskette in my
Corvus archive - so, specific to the CP/M support.

When you invoke the Constellation II installation flow and select the option
to setup a CP/M partition (Corvus also calls this 'volume') you're eventually
prompted to insert this diskette. I'd love to find a copy.
Anthony Adverse
2018-09-14 15:06:35 UTC

I didn't have my corvus very long... and for the life of me I can't recall who it went to, but I have a weird feeling there was something about need a disk formatted the way you wanted to format the corvus itself. I recall it wanting the pascal disk for that read. I'm not at all sure if the helps you for cp/m or not though.
Steven Hirsch
2018-09-14 19:42:04 UTC
On 09/14/2018 11:06 AM, Anthony Adverse wrote:
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 12:58:14 AM UTC+10, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Time for my yearly post in search of the mythical Corvus Softcard CP/M
>> support diskette: 'A2CPM.1'.
>>
>> I know it existed because I have the documentation for it, but have never
>> been able to locate either the physical diskette nor image.
>>
>> There is a diskette called CSCPM, but that is not what I'm after.
>>
>> If anyone comes across this, please let me know? Thanks.
>>
>> Steve
>
> I didn't have my corvus very long... and for the life of me I can't recall
> who it went to, but I have a weird feeling there was something about need a
> disk formatted the way you wanted to format the corvus itself. I recall it
> wanting the pascal disk for that read. I'm not at all sure if the helps
> you for cp/m or not though.

Hi, Anthony. There's an aspect of that to most of the partition types, but
the devil is in the details :-). Somewhere, someone has that A2CPM.1 Pascal
diskette. There were a zillion Softcards sold and many Corvus drives. Hard
to believe I've been looking for this for close to 20 years.

I'm sure Tony Diaz has a copy, but I hold little hope of getting him to image
and upload it.
Anthony Adverse
2018-09-14 22:02:38 UTC

I guess if its doing the floppy to hd partition/format, have you tried feeding it a regular cp/m floppy when it asks for the disk you're looking for? I did have a softcard as well at one point, but I don't think I had them together, I found the corvus hard enough as it was, and could only get 3.3 onto it.
Steven Hirsch
2018-09-15 13:35:58 UTC
On 09/14/2018 06:02 PM, Anthony Adverse wrote:

>>> I didn't have my corvus very long... and for the life of me I can't
>>> recall who it went to, but I have a weird feeling there was something
>>> about need a disk formatted the way you wanted to format the corvus
>>> itself. I recall it wanting the pascal disk for that read. I'm not at
>>> all sure if the helps you for cp/m or not though.
>>>

>> Hi, Anthony. There's an aspect of that to most of the partition types,
>> but the devil is in the details :-). Somewhere, someone has that A2CPM.1
>> Pascal diskette. There were a zillion Softcards sold and many Corvus
>> drives. Hard to believe I've been looking for this for close to 20
>> years.
>>
>> I'm sure Tony Diaz has a copy, but I hold little hope of getting him to
>> image and upload it.
>
> I guess if its doing the floppy to hd partition/format, have you tried
> feeding it a regular cp/m floppy when it asks for the disk you're looking
> for? I did have a softcard as well at one point, but I don't think I had
> them together, I found the corvus hard enough as it was, and could only get
> 3.3 onto it.

It is looking for an Apple Pascal volume named A2CPM.1 and is expecting to
execute a program from it. The CP/M floppy would be immediately rejected as
the incorrect disk. As I mentioned earlier in this message thread, I even
tried renaming the 'CSCPM' volume - no dice. It needs a dedicated Corvus
setup diskette.
Anthony Adverse
2018-09-15 21:55:35 UTC

Must've missed a bit earlier, I'll keep scratching my brain see if I can remember where mine went... *might* be able to find its disks.
Steven Hirsch
2018-09-16 13:19:49 UTC
On 09/15/2018 05:55 PM, Anthony Adverse wrote:

>> It is looking for an Apple Pascal volume named A2CPM.1 and is expecting
>> to execute a program from it. The CP/M floppy would be immediately
>> rejected as the incorrect disk. As I mentioned earlier in this message
>> thread, I even tried renaming the 'CSCPM' volume - no dice. It needs a
>> dedicated Corvus setup diskette.
>
> Must've missed a bit earlier, I'll keep scratching my brain see if I can
> remember where mine went... *might* be able to find its disks.

I you can come up with a readable A2CPM.1 diskette (or copy thereof) I will be
very appreciative.