Apple IIgs technical questions
2017-07-25 22:46:05 UTC
What is the best Apple IIgs technical manual out there that would be equivalent to Sathers' "Understanding the Apple IIe"?

I'm interesting in understanding why the IIgs doesn't support the cycle-sensitive graphics demos (eg. French Touch); is it due to the new RGB display? Or perhaps vapor-lock no longer works because the bus no longer leaks stray capacitance? Or perhaps something is off with the Mega II chip?

Also, does the IIgs have its own specific quirks that could be exploited such as the vapor lock on the IIe or is it no longer timing-sensitive as the prior II models were? That is, if you were to write an emulator for the IIgs and you were *not* worried about backwards compatibility with prior-model Apple II software and only concerned with IIgs software, would you still have to worry about cycle-accuracy and clock phases/timings?
cb meeks
2017-07-26 17:35:28 UTC
Also, does the IIgs have its own specific quirks that could be exploited such as the vapor lock on the IIe
Uh, what is the vapor lock on the IIe? I haven't heard that one before but sounds cool. :-)
David Schmidt
2017-07-26 18:37:14 UTC
Post by cb meeks
Post by Anthony Ortiz
Also, does the IIgs have its own specific quirks that could be exploited such as the vapor lock on the IIe
Uh, what is the vapor lock on the IIe? I haven't heard that one before but sounds cool. :-)
Here's a good treatment from Nick W.:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.apple2/UK0x1JMNjNg/F94M7Sg3AQAJ