Uses of MouseText characters?
Rebecca Bettencourt
2017-09-16 21:30:13 UTC
I'm looking for examples of how certain MouseText characters are used. In particular, the cross character at $5D and the squared dot thing at $5E. Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
I am Rob
2017-09-17 06:03:48 UTC
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
I'm looking for examples of how certain MouseText characters are used. In particular, the cross character at $5D and the squared dot thing at $5E. Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
I have used the cross for backgrounds for the screen and for the back of cards for a card game I created from mousetext chardacters.

The squared dot used for background, used for a selection box to indicate a current selection in a preferences dialog, used for a drag window indicator in bottom right hand corner of a window, and used as a hard drive icon with mousetext characters "Z//^".
skipperdoodle1947
2017-09-17 14:05:27 UTC
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
I'm looking for examples of how certain MouseText characters are used. In particular, the cross character at $5D and the squared dot thing at $5E. Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
If you can telnet to my board using ProTERM; mousetext is used in various places there. Particularly look on the games menu for games flagged with [A/P] (requires either ANSI or ProTERM), notably the card games, though others as well (some just use the cursor positioning ability though).

I imagine this appears as a shameless plug for my board, but you don't need to create an account, just login in as GUEST. :)

The telnet address is dura-bbs.net:6359
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-20 17:30:40 UTC
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
I've never seen a collection. I can count on one hand the people who are interested in both Typography and MouseText. You, and me. Do we even have a third?

You'll manually have to go through the MB (GB?) of software and see who used what. The first place I would start is to go though all the "productivity" software on asimov.

i.e.
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/

The reverse approach might be a better start though:

* List of ALL software that used MouseText ?

From that narrow it down. Memory snapshots / screenshots can be made -- and you could even programmatically search for any glyph you wanted.
Michael J. Mahon
2017-09-20 19:42:08 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
I've never seen a collection. I can count on one hand the people who are
interested in both Typography and MouseText. You, and me. Do we even have a third?
You'll manually have to go through the MB (GB?) of software and see who
used what. The first place I would start is to go though all the
"productivity" software on asimov.
i.e.
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/productivity/
* List of ALL software that used MouseText ?
From that narrow it down. Memory snapshots / screenshots can be made --
and you could even programmatically search for any glyph you wanted.
It was recently reported that Appleworks 5.1 uses MouseText.
Bobbi
2017-09-20 20:52:05 UTC
Two of the utilities on the ProDOS 2.4.1 disk seem to use mousetext - MR.FIXIT.Y2K and CAT.DOCTOR (both in the /IIE.UTILS directory.) At least I assume so, because they show inverse video characters on my unenhanced IIe.
David Schmenk
2017-09-20 21:32:07 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
I've never seen a collection. I can count on one hand the people who are interested in both Typography and MouseText. You, and me. Do we even have a third?
SNIP

How about MouseText on your later rev Apple ][? https://github.com/dschmenk/Apple2CharGen

Unfortunately I had to place the MouseText characters in a different area than the //e and //c, thus you would have to write your own software. And it's 40 column only. But at least it's possible.
Hugh Hood
2017-09-20 22:19:43 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
* List of ALL software that used MouseText ?
As Mr. Mahon mentioned, there is AppleWorks 5.1.

Add to that ProTerm 3.1 and ShrinkIt 3.4.

As Bobbi mentioned, the Cat Doctor (ProSel 8) screen menu also appears to be
drawn in MouseText.

In all these programs, it appears the main use of MouseText is to present
attractive looking menus, and checkmarks for selection choices.

Hugh Hood
I am Rob
2017-09-21 03:33:20 UTC
Post by Rebecca Bettencourt
I'm looking for examples of how certain MouseText characters are used. In particular, the cross character at $5D and the squared dot thing at $5E. Is there a collection anywhere of MouseText screens?
To use on any computer I created a mousetext character font that can be use on the hi-res or dbl-hi-res screens. The font is on the Squirt-file-selector disk image on Asimov.

Any font driver that can store 8 vertical bytes on the hi-res screen will work.