ProntoDos Dos-UP... but for ProDos?
Tom Porter
2018-02-12 23:23:08 UTC
I'm working on a project that requires access to semi-hiram. I primarily use Pronto-Dos and never had a need to Dos-UP DOS... experimented with it in the past but results weren't that good... have much better experience with AUX-MOVE and a homebrew solution for both language cards... anyway...

I am DOS-UPping my ProntoDos but it is having some problems doing interrupts for code up in the 42,xxx (dec) region of memory. So, is there a DOS-UP equiv for ProDos... something that doesn't need any memory below say $AC00... that I can still BLOAD programs/data?
----
A 2nd question.. is there any major difference between BLOADING a file in DOS 3.3 and Prodos using asm code, if Basic is not usable in this environment. Thanks, Tom
MG
2018-02-13 01:37:32 UTC
Post by Tom Porter
I am DOS-UPping my ProntoDos but it is having some problems doing interrupts for code up in the 42,xxx (dec) region of memory. So, is there a DOS-UP equiv for ProDos... something that doesn't need any memory below say $AC00... that I can still BLOAD programs/data?
A 2nd question.. is there any major difference between BLOADING a file in DOS 3.3 and Prodos using asm code, if Basic is not usable in this environment. Thanks, Tom
Well, ProDOS itself sits in the main LC and the BASIC interface sits at the top of the low 48K (except for $BF00 which has the ProDOS global page).

If you don't need the services of BASIC.SYSTEM, you get all the memory from $0800-$BEFF. The main difference will be how you "BLOAD" your file. You'll need to do the MLI OPEN, READ, and CLOSE calls, which are relatively straightforward.

MG
I am Rob
You might want to look into MICRODOT. It handles all the calls to interface with Prodos from a basic program. It is quite a bit smaller than basic.system and doesn't require the CTRL-D for disk commands. And its big advantage is its small size, and it has the ability to add external commands. Its himem is set to $AC00.
Tom Porter
2018-02-17 15:15:35 UTC
I just wanted to let people know of an 'interesting' solution... if you run a modified lower ram dos... like a 32kb DOS, it opens up wide the entire top end of ram. Thanks for the tip from Eric of the Nox Archiast team!
Antoine Vignau
2018-02-17 17:35:11 UTC
Yes, the idea is to use a dos 3.3 master disk and shunt the relocator. $4000..$bfff will be free of use