Can I make MS DOS disks with my IIe or IIgs?
Add Reply
Jeff Ramsey
2018-01-24 05:58:39 UTC
I am trying to make a 5,25” MS DOS boot disk for a Tandy 1000 that my cousin is restoring. I am pretty sure that I cannot read a floppy disk formatted for MS DOS, but could I write one with ADT Pro? Would it work?
Antoine Vignau
2018-01-24 07:52:08 UTC
It won't work with std Apple drives unless you have a superdrive. The other option is a PCTransporter with a MFM drive
Jeff Ramsey
2018-01-24 16:05:26 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
It won't work with std Apple drives unless you have a superdrive. The other option is a PCTransporter with a MFM drive
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was a long shot.

I knew from experience that I could not read IBM DOS disks, but I was not so sure I could not write them. I was thinking (hoping) that there was a utility like rawrite or DD that would be able to write the image "low-level" and just make a boot disk.
James Davis
2018-01-24 21:40:41 UTC
Post by Jeff Ramsey
I am trying to make a 5,25” MS DOS boot disk for a Tandy 1000 that my cousin is restoring. I am pretty sure that I cannot read a floppy disk formatted for MS DOS, but could I write one with ADT Pro? Would it work?
Have you read this Jan.22 thread?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/2w3Rp2uVVbA

It has some useful information (and links to such) regarding Apple vs. IBM disks.
Jeff Ramsey
2018-01-24 22:48:04 UTC
Post by James Davis
Post by Jeff Ramsey
I am trying to make a 5,25” MS DOS boot disk for a Tandy 1000 that my cousin is restoring. I am pretty sure that I cannot read a floppy disk formatted for MS DOS, but could I write one with ADT Pro? Would it work?
Have you read this Jan.22 thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/2w3Rp2uVVbA
It has some useful information (and links to such) regarding Apple vs. IBM disks.
I missed that thread, both when it happened live and when I did my search. Although I searched for more of a 'Create an MS DOS boot floppy with Apple Disk II' kind of a thing, so I bet I was just too detailed in the search criteria.

Thanks for pointing it out.
James Davis
Hope it helped.
Mark D. Overholser
2018-01-26 16:32:29 UTC
Post by James Davis
Post by Jeff Ramsey
I am trying to make a 5,25” MS DOS boot disk for a Tandy 1000 that
my cousin is restoring. I am pretty sure that I cannot read a
floppy disk formatted for MS DOS, but could I write one with ADT
Pro? Would it work?
Have you read this Jan.22 thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/2w3Rp2uVVbA
It has some useful information (and links to such) regarding Apple vs. IBM disks.
For those who don't use Google Groups, Search comp.sys.apple2 for "PC
Transporter" on 20-JAN-2018...

MarkO