Telnet65
Oliver Schmidt
2017-06-04 20:08:50 UTC
Hi,

I just finalized my work on Telnet65 v1.0, a VT100 Telnet client. It
is based on IP65 combined with the VT100 code of Cater
(http://www.opppf.de/Cater/). Both IP65 and Cater are written in pure
6502 assembler code. For my port of Cater from the C64 to the Apple II
I implemented higly optimized code that writes directly to the 80
column text screen so the overall performance is supposed to be pretty
close to the maximum.

Telnet65 requires at least an enhanced //e. It doesn't have any fancy
feature like a scroll back buffer or a file transfer utility. Rather
it's just a plain VT100 terminal emulator. However I tried hard to map
the VT100 line drawing characters to Apple Mouse Text characters in
the best way possible.

Telnet65 supports the LANceGS, the Uthernet and the Uthernet II. With
the latter it supports the W5100 Shared Access convention
(https://github.com/a2retrosystems/uthernet2/wiki/W5100-Shared-Access).
Therefore you can use Telnet65 simultaneously with the ADTPro Virtual
Ethernet Drive (http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/vedrive.html).

Telnet65 download + docu:
https://github.com/oliverschmidt/ip65/releases

Regards,
Oliver
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-04 21:30:18 UTC
Great! Thanks!
6***@gmail.com
2017-06-05 10:33:20 UTC
Works very good!

I changed the Slot from 3 to 5 where my Uthernet Card is and connected to A 80's Apple II BBS ( a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502 ) - fast and fine working connection!
Oliver Schmidt
2017-06-05 13:39:53 UTC
Hi,

>I changed the Slot from 3 to 5 where my Uthernet Card is and connected to A 80's Apple II BBS ( a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502 ) - fast and fine working connection!

Thanks for the positive feedback both on the retro style ;-)
configuration and the overall operation.

Regards,
Oliver
Oliver Schmidt
2017-06-05 19:05:34 UTC
On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 20:08:50 GMT, ***@web.de (Oliver Schmidt) wrote:

>[...] Telnet65 v1.0 [...]

I fixed some issues -> v1.1

Oliver
Oliver Schmidt
2017-10-04 20:48:41 UTC
On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 19:05:34 GMT, ***@web.de (Oliver Schmidt) wrote:

>>[...] Telnet65 v1.0 [...]

>I fixed some issues -> v1.1

I just released v1.2:

- Beside some minor issues I fixed a bug in IP65 (the TCP/IP stack
used by Telnet65) that kept Telnet65 from connecting successfully to
several types of servers.

- Telnet65 is now also available for the Atari (beside the Apple //
and the C64).

Oliver
Matthew Power
2017-11-23 17:35:53 UTC
Hi Oliver,

From your documentation:
"Telnet65 presumes the Ethernet card to reside in slot 3. If however your Ethernet card resides in a different slot you can change the fourth byte of the Telnet65 binary to match your Ethernet card slot."

I saw the byte you're talking about by looking at the binary with Ciderpress.

But I don't know what software I would use to change that byte and save the updated binary. Any recommendations?

Matthew
6***@gmail.com
2017-11-23 17:42:19 UTC
Hi Matthew,

Here is a discription I made:

http://www.applefritter.com/?q=content/telnet-uthernet-and-uthernetii
Matthew Power
2017-11-24 21:16:39 UTC

Thanks very much!
Egan Ford
2017-11-24 22:23:23 UTC
On 11/23/17 10:35 AM, Matthew Power wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> From your documentation:
> "Telnet65 presumes the Ethernet card to reside in slot 3. If however your Ethernet card resides in a different slot you can change the fourth byte of the Telnet65 binary to match your Ethernet card slot."
>
> I saw the byte you're talking about by looking at the binary with Ciderpress.
>
> But I don't know what software I would use to change that byte and save the updated binary. Any recommendations?

From OSX or Linux:

# extract binary
java -jar
/Applications/AppleCommander.app/Contents/Resources/Java/AppleCommander.jar
-e ip65.dsk telnet65 >telnet65.bin

# get first 3 bytes, set 4th byte, get the rest:
(head -c 3 telnet65.bin; echo -ne \\x05; tail -c +5 telnet65.bin)
>newtelnet65.bin

# add new file to image
java -jar
/Applications/AppleCommander.app/Contents/Resources/Java/AppleCommander.jar
-p ip65.dsk newtelnet65 bin 0x0803 <newtelnet65.bin

I guess you could just patch the dsk directly:

perl -p -e 's/\x4c\x9c\x09\x03/\x4c\x9c\x09\x05/' <ip65.dsk >newip65.dsk

Check with:

cmp -l ip65.dsk newip65.dsk

Hopefully you'll only see one change:

29444 3 5
Oliver Schmidt
2017-11-28 20:02:11 UTC
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your interest in Telnet65.

> But I don't know what software I would use to change that byte and save
> the updated binary. Any recommendations?

My idea was that about every Apple II user would be able to:
- BLOAD the binary
- CALL -151 into the monitor
- Change the byte in question
- Return to BASIC
- BSAVE the modified binary

I thought that people would actually consider it fun to use their „old“
knowledge - sorry that this obviously isn‘t true for everybody.

Regards,
Oliver
Matthew Power
2017-11-28 22:24:57 UTC
> I thought that people would actually consider it fun to use their „old“
> knowledge - sorry that this obviously isn‘t true for everybody.

Well, it's great fun... just sometimes those of us newer to the system need to ask for some pointers from the friendly folks here at CSA2.