TProBBS?
b***@gamersgarrison.us
2017-09-21 21:32:56 UTC
TProBBS v4.2f had the role playing game characters in it. TProBBS v5.0
did not. I have run both systems. I took the last TProBBS v4.2f board
down last January that was in the Twin Cities.
I know it's been a number of years, but I have to ask as I'm trying to get my old TPro running again. Do you still have a copy of the TPro you ran? Mine is version 4.0.0 but I'd be happy for an upgrade. If you have it, can I somehow get a copy of it? I'm anxious to get my old BBS running again, though I know it would mostly for nostalgia.
awanderin
2017-09-22 03:25:10 UTC
Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?

Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com
Scott Alfter
2017-09-22 18:21:37 UTC
Post by awanderin
Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?
http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
awanderin
2017-09-23 01:57:33 UTC
Post by Scott Alfter
Post by awanderin
Does anyone know of a publicly available truetype (or opentype) font
that has either or both of the open-apple and closed-apple symbols that
are on Apple IIe/IIc/IIgs keyboards?
http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml
Thanks, Scott.

I found that one via web search. I am looking for a font that has
smooth characters, rather than simulating bit-map screen characters.

I'll keep looking...

Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com
Hugh Hood
2017-09-23 02:42:06 UTC
Jerry,

If you ever find a non-bitmap-style Truetype font containing all the
MouseText characters (preferably with their ASCII positions tracking
those from $80-$FF on the Apple II), please post back.

I've looked for a smoothly-rendered MouseText font for several years in
order to print Apple II screen shots and the like, and when printed, the
printed bit-mapped stuff just looks a little 'hokey', if that makes sense.

I actually did get MouseText to print to pdf by using a modified version
of the ImageWriter Emulator (IWEM), but the blockiness of the bitmaps
just didn't suit my preferences. Others' mileage may vary, of course.

Even if you find one where the characters didn't 'track' in the ASCII
table, a tool like Font Forge can take care of that, and even let one
choose what low-ASCII alphanumeric font to use with the MouseText.

Thanks.

Hugh Hood
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2017-09-23 14:05:40 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Jerry,
I've looked for a smoothly-rendered MouseText font for several years in
order to print Apple II screen shots and the like, and when printed, the
printed bit-mapped stuff just looks a little 'hokey', if that makes sense.
Yeah that makes sense. Traditionally bitmaps look blurry when scaled up due to bilinear filtering.

However bitmap fonts don't necessarily _need_ to look blocky when enlarged. The problem is most people don't know about an alternative representation -- Signed Distance Fields.

I have a demo of this:

Font: Bitmap vs SDF
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/llK3Wm

The black bar at the very top shows the native 1:1 resolution of the A's.
The middle A shows a naive bilinear filtering upsampling.
The ones on the right show when you use a better algorithm how you can acheive sharp(er) lines from the same data.

That said, having a nice vector font for all the MouseText would be good to have.