A girl is going right into a grass region (apple II typing software)
savant42
2010-11-16 00:21:04 UTC
Does "A girl is going right into a grass region" ring any bells with
anyone? I remember learning to touch type using an Apple II, and this
was one of the sentences it made you type. I have fond memories of
being in second grade and being able to type that sentence at ~ 70wpm.
I'd love to find a copy of it.

Josh
j***@gmail.com
Yes it does. I remember that being my favorite sentence during my typing class in elementary school and we used Apples.
MotoFox
2012-07-01 08:24:54 UTC
And it came to pass that jlissick21 delivered the following message unto
the people, saying~
Post by j***@gmail.com
Yes it does. I remember that being my favorite sentence during my typing
class in elementary school and we used Apples.
"Ruthie tried the three teriffic, bright-printing typewriters."
--
2D 2D 0D 0A 4D 6F 74 6F 46 6F 78 0D 0A 44 45 41
54 48 20 54 4F 20 45 42 43 44 49 43 21 21 16 04
j***@jjj.jjj
2012-07-01 17:18:09 UTC
Post by MotoFox
Post by j***@gmail.com
Yes it does. I remember that being my favorite sentence during my typing
class in elementary school and we used Apples.
"Ruthie tried the three teriffic, bright-printing typewriters."
in the original school version, was the word terrific purposely spelled
incorrectly or was this just a typo on your part?
MotoFox
2012-07-03 19:22:17 UTC
And it came to pass that jjj delivered the following message unto the
people, saying~
in the original school version, was the word "terrific" purposely
spelled incorrectly or was this just a typo on your part?
Typing error on my part. Composing Usenet articles whilst listening to
holding-queue advertising on the telephone causes this. (As does holding
the receiver to your ear with one hand and typing with the other.)
j***@jjj.jjj
2012-07-04 01:41:54 UTC
Post by MotoFox
Typing error on my part. Composing Usenet articles whilst listening to
holding-queue advertising on the telephone causes this. (As does holding
the receiver to your ear with one hand and typing with the other.)
ha! you would not believe the typos i made when i used to type in those
superlong magazine listings back in the 80s. it also didn't help that some
magazines would purposely include errors to force you to buy their next
issue for the fix or the disk they offered at a premium price. as for my
typos, all those data letters and numbers started to look the same by the
seventh or eighth hour of typing. then when it wouldn't work,
troubleshooting it was another major pain. ):
c***@gmail.com
Thank god there are others! This sentence haunts me, in a good way, throughout my life. I remember just sitting there patiently waiting for it to pop up on the screen so I could flex my WPM prowess to my classmates. I still use words like "going" in passwords just because it flows so well. Figured I Google the sentence today and I'm happy to see this post exists, cheers!
j***@gmail.com
r***@gmail.com
2014-09-18 20:17:38 UTC
Communi Keys, wasn't it? I will never forget that girl...
a***@handybook.com
2014-10-26 17:54:08 UTC
Post by savant42
Does "A girl is going right into a grass region" ring any bells with
anyone? I remember learning to touch type using an Apple II, and this
was one of the sentences it made you type. I have fond memories of
being in second grade and being able to type that sentence at ~ 70wpm.
I'd love to find a copy of it.
Josh
THIS was my absolute money sentence as well. back in 1st - 3rd grade ('91 - '93 for me) when we had keyboarding class everyone would joke about the girl going into a grass region because the arrangement of the letters allows for maximum WPM action. i would also love to have a copy of that apple II e software...touch type, was it called? i'd completely forgotten.
--
In the news: Handybook Rebrands As Handy (TechCrunch
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/16/handybook-rebrands-as-handy/>)

We're hiring! Refer a software engineer and we'll give you $10,000.
***@handy.com
l***@gmail.com
2018-09-06 02:18:34 UTC
Post by savant42
Does "A girl is going right into a grass region" ring any bells with
anyone? I remember learning to touch type using an Apple II, and this
was one of the sentences it made you type. I have fond memories of
being in second grade and being able to type that sentence at ~ 70wpm.
I'd love to find a copy of it.
Josh
I'm so glad I'm not alone. It pops into my head every now & again. My 3rd grade friend Ginny and I would skip all the sentences until this one...there was no penalty. This was around 1987 and we hit like 140 wpm lol. #Game

#Agirlisgoingrightintoagrassregion
l***@gmail.com
2018-09-06 02:20:30 UTC
I'm wondering what was #left into the grass region.
Brian Patrie
2018-09-09 07:01:30 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
I'm wondering what was #left into the grass region.
I'm wondering what constitutes a grass region.
A place where it's legal, perhaps? ;)
Brian Wood
2020-10-20 05:38:35 UTC
Just got a new mechanical keyboard and feelin Typey! So of course the first thing I google is my favorite sentence from junior high computer class. "A girl is going into a grass region"- I was able to type the fastest of anything I've ever typed... like 90wpm or something. Somehow this particular sentence in its entirety became a single muscle memory stroke.
Glad I'm not alone. It haunts me :)
Brian