ProDOS port request
Add Reply
qkumba
2019-01-23 18:24:07 UTC
I'm abandoning the old thread in order to create dedicated entries.
This one is intended for anyone to request new ports.

Here's the list that I have received so far:
Aliens
arcade machine
Archon
Archon II: Adept
Ballblazer
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Bilestoad
Blazing Paddles
Cavern Creatures
Flight Simulator II w/ support for scenery disk content on a HD
Ghostbusters
Law of the West
Maniac Mansion
MasterType (Double Hires version!)
might and magic
Music Construction Kit
One on One
pinball construction set
pool of radiance
rocky horror
rocky's boots
Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio
shadowkeep
Situation: Critical
Starfleet One
The Bard's Tale
The Oregon Trail
Transylvania
Type Attack, by Sirius
Ultima I
Wasteland
Wings of Fury
Marco Verpelli
2019-01-23 18:35:54 UTC
http://apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Sel/SP.html

Marco
Steve Nickolas
2019-01-23 19:24:45 UTC
Post by qkumba
Bilestoad
I've got one, if anyone's impatient. ;)
http://prodos.buric.co/biles8.dsk.gz

But I think it's based on The Nowhere Man's crack (with the proper title
attached).
Post by qkumba
Ghostbusters
I tried to do this and failed hard.
Post by qkumba
rocky's boots
Good, I'd like to figure out why my port breaks with a few objects in the
Logic Gates level. :/
Post by qkumba
The Oregon Trail
There's an official version somewhere that uses the MECC "DOS emulator" to
run on ProDOS-8, I have it installed on my LC.

-uso.
Tempest
2019-01-23 19:25:30 UTC
Knights of Legend
f***@hotmail.com
2019-01-23 20:32:41 UTC
There's a good prodos version of Oregon Trail in the MECC Collection...
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/mecc-collection/

Probably not up to your high standards, however :)

Side Note: good versions of all 5 "Carmen" edu-games are here...
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/8-bit-eduware-on-32meg-disk-image/

Is there a clean WOZ copy of Law of the West somewhere? I've had an ebay search going for a long time, with no hits.

qkumba
2019-01-23 20:43:29 UTC
Post by f***@hotmail.com
There's a good prodos version of Oregon Trail in the MECC Collection...
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/mecc-collection/
Probably not up to your high standards, however :)
That's good enough for me that I won't do it myself.
Post by f***@hotmail.com
Side Note: good versions of all 5 "Carmen" edu-games are here...
http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/8-bit-eduware-on-32meg-disk-image/
Yes, I am aware of those. Marco posts here sometimes.
Yes, I have one from 4am.
f***@hotmail.com
2019-01-27 06:56:24 UTC
Boulder Dash
Mating Zone
Gankosakae
2019-01-27 07:15:21 UTC
Times of Lore
Alex Lee
2019-01-27 10:36:38 UTC
Post by qkumba
I'm abandoning the old thread in order to create dedicated entries.
This one is intended for anyone to request new ports.
<titles snipped>
Although you already know, Captain Goodnight :-)

Bard's Tale I (the original 8-bit version) and for anyone else that
wanted it, Tass Times in Tonetown, has already got a hard drive version
on:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/bard-s-tale-tass-times-ogre

They're also available on my 32 meg volume of compiled ProDOS
compatible and DOS 3.3 Launcher collection:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/time-out-for-some-8-bit-fun-iigs-style

- Alex
Jeff Ramsey
2019-01-27 17:55:46 UTC
I see Maniac Mansion is already there. And it makes me very happy!

Thanks for all you do.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2019-01-28 04:54:14 UTC
Hey qkumba

Great list!

When you get around to:

* Captain Goodnight, and
* Wings of Fury

could you do an in-depth write-up please? Like your Conan one but more details. :-) I'd *love* to reading what you and 4am do.

Cheers,
Michael
f***@hotmail.com
2019-01-31 06:40:48 UTC
Rampage
Skyfox
Techno Cop
Mark Lemmert
2019-02-20 00:21:37 UTC
Wizardry I

Thanks for asking!

Mark
qkumba
2019-02-20 04:51:35 UTC
Post by Mark Lemmert
Wizardry I
Yes, Pascal support needs some entirely new code.
It won't be ProRWTS at that point, it will be PasRWTS instead. :-)
Still, it's on the list.
Steve Nickolas
2019-02-20 05:34:39 UTC
Post by qkumba
Post by Mark Lemmert
Wizardry I
Yes, Pascal support needs some entirely new code.
It won't be ProRWTS at that point, it will be PasRWTS instead. :-)
Still, it's on the list.
I wonder if being able to port Wizardry would enable the porting of An
Introduction or The Apple at Work, or if Wizardry's version of Pascal is
too custom.

-uso.
Denis Molony
As the Wizardry source code is available, presumably 'all' you need is Prodos Pascal.
I am Rob
I came across a version of Instant Pascal under Prodos8. Will have to play with it to see if compatible.
Antoine Vignau
2019-02-20 19:49:46 UTC
take pascal 1.3 on 3.5" ;-)
av
I am Rob
2019-02-25 18:47:05 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
take pascal 1.3 on 3.5" ;-)
av
Not on Asimov.
Can't find it on B.D. website.
Link, please.
David Schmidt
2019-02-25 18:51:35 UTC
Post by I am Rob
Post by Antoine Vignau
take pascal 1.3 on 3.5" ;-)
av
Not on Asimov.
Can't find it on B.D. website.
Link, please.
It's one of those things taken down because:
https://store.syndicomm.com/product/apple-pascal-1-3/
Antoine Vignau
2019-02-25 18:54:00 UTC
ah... ok... will search for it...
Tom Lake
2019-06-22 14:14:02 UTC
Post by David Schmidt
Post by I am Rob
Post by Antoine Vignau
take pascal 1.3 on 3.5" ;-)
av
Not on Asimov.
Can't find it on B.D. website.
Link, please.
https://store.syndicomm.com/product/apple-pascal-1-3/
I ordered Apple Pascal 1.3 from there quite a while ago. No shipment and no response from him.
b***@gmail.com
2019-02-22 23:39:27 UTC
Type Attack and MasterType, pretty please!
Todd Holcomb
2019-02-24 15:12:13 UTC
(Patiently waiting for Wings of Fury...)
qkumba
2019-02-25 17:24:58 UTC
It's in progress. I'm trying to actually complete a mission so that I can get on the high-score board to see how it's accessed.
Todd Holcomb
2019-06-22 14:02:36 UTC
Is there something I could do to help with the conversion? I can easily get on the leaderboard...
qkumba
2019-06-23 03:17:14 UTC
Sadly, no. It is literally the case that I have to get on the board so that I can intercept the write request to see how it's done.
qkumba
2019-07-01 15:16:13 UTC
Or... if you can do it in an emulator like MAME or AppleWin, please save the state before you enter the high score, and then send that state. I can trace from there.
Antoine Vignau
2019-07-01 17:47:28 UTC
WoF is a 18-sec title. Searching for pattern 20 00 B0 05/45 or 20 00 B0 06/46 if the RWTS18 is at $B000 could help. But I believe you have already done that ;-)

Antoine
Marco Verpelli
2019-07-25 12:58:45 UTC
Post by Antoine Vignau
WoF is a 18-sec title. Searching for pattern 20 00 B0 05/45 or 20 00 B0 06/46 if the RWTS18 is at $B000 could help. But I believe you have already done that ;-)
Antoine
I wonder if 3.5" could be useful.
In the style of Prince of Persia it has a fake ProDOS that takes care of everything.

Marco
Todd Holcomb
2019-07-02 01:23:40 UTC
Would the save state in Virtual II work too?
qkumba
2019-07-04 18:49:25 UTC
Let's find out. :-)
a***@gmail.com
2019-09-07 00:08:42 UTC
Post by qkumba
Let's find out. :-)
Did a Virtual ][ save state work for getting on the leaderboard for Wings of Fury?

Alex
Todd Holcomb
2019-09-07 00:45:50 UTC
Thanks for asking, I didn't want to keep buggin' him... ;)
qkumba
2019-09-07 16:26:42 UTC
:-) Sorry, I got distracted by easier titles. I'll return to WoF.
Andrew Roughan
2019-11-21 05:03:40 UTC
Post by qkumba
:-) Sorry, I got distracted by easier titles. I'll return to WoF.
Bump

Also, how about Skyfox? It’s another Mockingboard title. Works with a
europlus with 64k and a joystick.
Great for Total Replay!
Oliver Schmidt
2019-11-21 09:41:21 UTC
Hi,
Post by Andrew Roughan
Also, how about Skyfox? It’s another Mockingboard title. Works with a
europlus with 64k and a joystick.
Great for Total Replay!
Me too. Skyfox would be great!

Regards,
Oliver
Alex Lee
2020-01-25 01:37:41 UTC
Post by qkumba
:-) Sorry, I got distracted by easier titles. I'll return to WoF.
Bump ;-)

Alex
Todd Holcomb
2020-01-25 13:47:03 UTC
Post by Alex Lee
Post by qkumba
:-) Sorry, I got distracted by easier titles. I'll return to WoF.
Bump ;-)
Alex
Double bump! :)

Todd
qkumba
2020-02-04 05:15:47 UTC
Okay, it's finally happening.
I have side A converted, one mission of side B loads, high score saving is in progress. Then just a quick work to dump the other missions. Maybe in time for the weekend.
Todd Holcomb
2020-02-04 22:49:42 UTC
Awesome - would love to see this in the Total Replay HD image some day!
qkumba
2020-02-05 15:46:00 UTC
It's slated for v4.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2020-02-05 03:44:18 UTC
Hope you do a write up! Your Conan one was an _amazing_ read!
Alex Lee
2020-02-05 09:14:24 UTC
Post by qkumba
Okay, it's finally happening.
I have side A converted, one mission of side B loads, high score saving
is in progress. Then just a quick work to dump the other missions.
Maybe in time for the weekend.
I can't wait, but I will ;-)

Alex
Frank M.
2019-07-18 05:23:20 UTC
Xevious would be a good one.
Frank M.
2019-07-19 04:14:01 UTC
The Asteroid Field & Micro Invaders (13 sector) - have a soft spot for these early games
Maxwell Manor
Mating Zone
Pentapus
Ski Crazed

Buck Rogers if you can find a clean disk of it (only seen crack disks and nothing in 'flux capacity')

bump for Short Circuit & Law of the West

--Thanks again. Been enjoying all these new ones.
qkumba
2019-07-19 05:50:25 UTC
I've added the missing ones to my list.
Law of the West was close to finished. I'll check it again.
Short Circuit is high on the list, but not for tonight.
Jefferson Santos
2019-07-19 21:23:17 UTC
Aztec would be nice as well :-)
fadden
2019-07-21 19:15:24 UTC
Arctic Fox
fadden
2019-07-28 16:41:32 UTC
Sword of Kadash
Jefferson Santos
2019-12-21 15:51:55 UTC
Battletech :-)
Alex Lee
2019-12-22 05:40:13 UTC
Post by Jefferson Santos
Battletech :-)
I'm sure qkumba would prefer to work with a clean 4am crack, but if
it's of any help, there's a single volume version of Battletech thanks
to the 3.5" disk installer included that the programmer Lane Roath
implemented. The 3.5" disk image is available on What is the Apple
IIGS?:
http://whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/battletech

Alex
B T
2020-02-23 16:43:57 UTC
Hello,

What about Castle Smurfenstein?

Always has fun with this hack.
The original author (hacker) has the disk image on his web site.
And he says he didnt even break the copy protection when doing it.
So I am guessing (hoping) whatever you did for Wolfenstein would be applicable and easy? Just a thought.
Thanks...
qkumba
2020-03-13 22:05:40 UTC
I'll take a look.
qkumba
2020-03-17 01:59:49 UTC
Updating the list. These are done:
Aztec
Ballblazer
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Bilestoad
Captain Goodnight
Flight Simulator II, but without (yet) support for scenery disk
Knights of Legend
One on One
Rampage
Short Circuit
Situation: Critical
Skyfox
Techno Cop
Wasteland
Wings of Fury
Wizardry I
Xevious

These are not done yet:

Aliens
arcade machine
Archon
Archon II: Adept
Arctic Fox
Battletech
Blazing Paddles
Boulder Dash
Cavern Creatures
Ghostbusters
Law of the West
Maniac Mansion
MasterType (Double Hires version!)
Mating Zone
Maxwell Manor
might and magic
Music Construction Kit
Pentapus
pinball construction set
pool of radiance
rocky horror
rocky's boots (v4.1 is ProDOS already)
shadowkeep
Ski Crazed
Starfleet One
Sword of Kadash
Times of Lore
Ultima I
Frank M.
2020-03-17 14:22:35 UTC
There's a good prodos port of Oregon Trail in Alex Lee's eduware collection.

Law of the West and Pentapus work in holodeck.

Bump for Boulder Dash, Mating Zone, Maxwell Manor, and Ski Crazed (for TR).

Frank M.
2020-03-17 14:29:46 UTC
I've never seen Cavern Creatures, but it looks pretty fun.
Todd Holcomb
2020-05-01 19:29:03 UTC
I would like to request "AutoDuel" if it hasn't been already.

And BTW, I'm still converting all of qkumba's ProDOS conversions to Shrinkit compressed folder format for direct download to your Apple II's HD. Download from telnet://cqbbs.ddns.net:6502.
qkumba
2020-05-02 02:33:50 UTC
It's on my list now.
jeffer...@yahoo.com.br
2020-09-09 12:56:55 UTC
Hi qkumba, requests are still on?
would like to see Oo-Topos (1986 version).
qkumba
2020-09-09 15:24:01 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com.br
requests are still on?
Always.
Accepted.
jeffer...@yahoo.com.br
2020-09-09 19:15:34 UTC
Post by qkumba
Post by ***@yahoo.com.br
requests are still on?
Always.
Thanks :-D
qkumba
2020-09-09 20:52:18 UTC
Done now.
jeffer...@yahoo.com.br
2020-09-10 13:38:47 UTC
Post by qkumba
Done now.
wow that was fast, thank you :-)
Todd Holcomb
2020-03-17 18:02:28 UTC
You've been converting a ton of games lately! Are you self-isolating for 14 days or something? ;)

Todd
qkumba
2020-03-18 00:11:07 UTC
:-) I've been self-isolated for weeks because I have allergies and if I go to the office sounding like that, I'll scare people and get sent home again.
i***@gmail.com
2020-03-18 07:31:09 UTC
Saracen
Todd Holcomb
2020-04-20 18:36:35 UTC
Post by qkumba
:-) I've been self-isolated for weeks because I have allergies and if I go to the office sounding like that, I'll scare people and get sent home again.
That works out well for all of us!

And a bump for Law of the West.
B T
2020-04-05 19:31:06 UTC
Post by qkumba
[...]

Did Standing Stones ever make it on the list?
If not, I would like to request.
The only one on Asimov works on an emulator, and as an image on CFFA3000.
But the dos is kinda funky, so cant use dos launcher or any other workaround thus far to get on a ProDos volume..

Thanks, -BT
Frank M.
2020-04-20 15:21:46 UTC
Fishies
Marco Verpelli
2020-04-20 16:34:23 UTC
Post by Frank M.
Fishies
Well, it's not exactly 100% the same but you can find it on Microzine Jr #5

Marco
Frank M.
2020-04-20 18:20:34 UTC
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by Frank M.
Fishies
Well, it's not exactly 100% the same but you can find it on Microzine Jr #5
Marco
Oh that's cool. Looks like a slight modification of Fishies. Runs a little faster.
Was able to get it onto a prodos volume. Thanks!
Marco Verpelli
2020-04-20 18:49:28 UTC
Post by Frank M.
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by Frank M.
Fishies
Well, it's not exactly 100% the same but you can find it on Microzine Jr #5
Marco
Oh that's cool. Looks like a slight modification of Fishies. Runs a little faster.
Was able to get it onto a prodos volume. Thanks!
In summary:
1) there is the original in woz format that AppleWin manages to boot 1 of 10
2) there is an "ancient" crack by hot-rod, with unused files and an "invasive" credit screen
3) there is a ProDOS version of Microzine, also with unused files and changes to the graphics
4) there is the recent crack made by AV, but a good part of the data is "buried" in the tracks of the disk and is not in a file
5) there is a recent version that, I'm sorry but without offense: quick-and-dirty, eliminates the credits screen, but leaves thr unused files

Ergo why not add chaos with my version (DOS), I think as clean as possible, attention that at least a couple of files claim to be long X but in reality they are long Y, with Y>X

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GUnEG5sHu5xfypKNP_yB_1kAmI9JUOsB

Marco

P.S.

I am sure that Qkumba will manage this mess when he wants
Frank M.
2020-04-20 20:23:39 UTC
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by Frank M.
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by Frank M.
[...]
Thanks for looking at it!

I did (5) while asking around for a real WOZ ;)

One change I'd add, at $522 (offset $1C229 of DSK), instead of LDX #$60 change to LDX $2B so it works from any slot.

Yours seems to boot on //gs whereas (4) doesn't seem to.

Tempest
2020-04-21 02:14:39 UTC
I have #2 on a disk from back in the day. Are you saying this crack doesn't use all the fish types?
Frank M.
2020-04-21 03:01:50 UTC
Post by Tempest
I have #2 on a disk from back in the day. Are you saying this crack doesn't use all the fish types?
Sorry if it's not clear I meant the 'LDX $2B' fix for (6) Marco's latest crack.

I think (3)/MicrozineJr has the same fish, but runs faster and has the keypress help permanently on the screen. It also has a different title/exit screen.

Frank M.
2020-04-21 03:08:57 UTC
Post by Tempest
I have #2 on a disk from back in the day. Are you saying this crack doesn't use all the fish types?
(2) has the same fish. It just has a 'das interceptor autograph'-style intro screen before the title screen.

Marco Verpelli
2020-04-21 07:44:07 UTC
Post by Tempest
I have #2 on a disk from back in the day. Are you saying this crack doesn't use all the fish types?
What I mean is that:
2, 3 & 5 have files that are never loaded into memory i.e. EFFECTDATA.B
5 removes from view the screen with the signature of the crack but (that's why I said Q&D) continues to load the AQUA file

Marco
qkumba
2020-04-21 17:56:32 UTC
There are two copies of EFFECTDATA.B, one visible in the catalog at track $10 and another with no reference at track $1E. The track $1E version is loaded manually by the copy-protection, along with the contents of track 3.
Marco Verpelli
2020-04-21 18:08:15 UTC
Post by qkumba
There are two copies of EFFECTDATA.B, one visible in the catalog at track $10 and another with no reference at track $1E. The track $1E version is loaded manually by the copy-protection, along with the contents of track 3.
Yes, by now I found the data loaded at $99A0.
I suspect the same thing apply for "OBJECT TABLE"

Marco
Marco Verpelli
2020-04-21 18:22:07 UTC
Post by Marco Verpelli
Post by qkumba
There are two copies of EFFECTDATA.B, one visible in the catalog at track $10 and another with no reference at track $1E. The track $1E version is loaded manually by the copy-protection, along with the contents of track 3.
Yes, by now I found the data loaded at $99A0.
I suspect the same thing apply for "OBJECT TABLE"
Marco
... and the table is loaded at $0984

Marco
qkumba
2020-04-21 18:22:13 UTC
I think that's the contents of track 3.
B T
2020-05-01 11:53:46 UTC
I know it is already on your list, but I would like to add another vote for StarFleet I. I would be content running it from a dos.master partition, and it nearly works. The only issue is the program absolutely expects a Side B flip on slot 6, Drive 2. Also, many duplicate files exist on both Side A and B. Not sure how many of those are side specific, or duplicates.
-BT
B T
2020-05-01 11:58:15 UTC
I know it is already on your list, but I would like to add another vote for StarFleet I. I would be content running it from a dos.master partition, and it nearly works. The only issue is the program absolutely expects a Side B flip on slot 6, Drive 1. Also, many duplicate files exist on both Side A and B. Not sure how many of those are side specific, or duplicates.
-BT
Frank M.
2020-09-20 17:09:40 UTC
Chase on Tom Sawyer's Island
qkumba
2020-09-20 19:28:15 UTC
Post by Frank M.
Chase on Tom Sawyer's Island
Done.
Aaron Pulver
2020-10-01 08:01:52 UTC
Legacy of the Ancients
The Legend of Blacksilver

Seems strange I haven't seen either mentioned before but maybe they're not good candidates for conversion. Fun RPGs to revisit while waiting for Nox Archaist, though!
qkumba
2020-10-01 16:43:12 UTC
Post by Aaron Pulver
Legacy of the Ancients
I started that one in January but got side-tracked.
Post by Aaron Pulver
The Legend of Blacksilver
Okay, I have a clean copy of that one.
Good plan. Nox Archaist is going to be great.
Andrew Roughan
2020-10-02 12:41:27 UTC
Post by qkumba
Post by Aaron Pulver
Legacy of the Ancients
I started that one in January but got side-tracked.
I started cracking that one in 1987 but got side-tracked.

The EA interpreter was way too much effort at the time.
Lukazi
2020-10-18 03:04:52 UTC
I would like to request some games if possible
Super Puckman (ver2.3 by ADO soft. I think this is the original version before it got hacked into many variants)
Boulder Dash II
Pengo
Apple Invaders (great example of how to port an arcade game to the Apple II)
Autobahn
qkumba
2020-10-20 20:40:57 UTC
Autobahn is done now.
Apple Invaders is actually Micro Invaders, part of Total Replay already.
Pengo looks unfinished. It loads a high-score table but never reads or writes it again. It's done now, anyway.
Boulder Dash II is done now.
I have not seen any copy of this one.
Lukazi
2020-10-21 07:46:24 UTC
Post by Lukazi
Super Puckman (ver2.3 by ADO soft. I think this is the original version before it got hacked into many variants)
I have not seen any copy of this one.
Super Puckman ver2.3 - These are the only two disks that I could find with the game. The top one still contains the title page.
ASIMOV: /images/games/file_based/Puck-Man, Repton.dsk
ASIMOV: /images/games/collections/Jogos_Disks/JOGOS1.DSK

Apple Invader: My mistake. It's called Apple Invader and not Apple Invaders which is another name for Micro Invaders. Apple Invader is a near perfect port of the arcade. So much so that it was one of Jordan Mechner's inspirations. Gameplay is much better than Micro Invaders. It's confusing because on the following disk image, in the menu, it is called Super Invader but titled Apple Invader once the game loads.
ASIMOV: /images/games/file_based/appleinvaders_keyboardappleinvaders_galaxywars_invasionforce_stellarinvaders_superinvader.dsk

If you don't fancy doing another space invaders conversion then that's cool. I'm happy to give it a crack.
Can't thank you enough for doing these conversions.

Cheers,
Alex.
qkumba
2020-10-21 18:25:20 UTC
Post by Lukazi
If you don't fancy doing another space invaders conversion then that's cool. I'm happy to give it a crack.
No problem. Both are done now.
Thanks. :-)
jeffer...@yahoo.com.br
2021-01-14 12:38:24 UTC
Microbe :-)
mark.l...@gmail.com
2021-01-14 15:51:09 UTC
Wizard's Crown

Frank M.
2020-10-21 04:56:29 UTC
I saw the new image for Star Maze on slack. Never seen that one and it looks great!