Sweet16 and macOS 10.15 Catalina
Sheppy
2019-10-09 15:27:18 UTC
Here's a status update with what's going on with Sweet16 right now. The current version of Sweet16 will not run on macOS 10.15 Catalina. There are two reasons for this, and these reasons conspire to make fixing the problem a big job.

First, Sweet16 is a 32-bit application. This in and of itself is a problem, but it's exacerbated by the fact that, second, Sweet16 uses Carbon APIs, which are deprecated entirely in Catalina, and can no longer be used.

For these reasons, large parts of Sweet16 are in the process of being completely rewritten. I've been working at this on and off for a long time mow, and am making progress, but it will be a while before it's done. I had hoped to have it finished by now, but between the intricacy of the work and my neurological condition, it's been slow going.

That said, I have a solid design for the new architecture I'm building up for a vastly improved Sweet16, and progress is happening.

As I announced at KansasFest in 2018, my goal is to release Sweet16 as an open source project. I am not going to do so until the rewritten architectural underpinnings are in place, so as to ensure that this core area is stable before having more people jump into the project with me.

To that end, my plan is to get Sweet16 to a minimally usable state, then post the source code and invite help completing the job. Tis minimally functional version will likely be nothing more than starting up the emulator, a video window, and possibly some level of support for mounting and booting disk image (but not necessarily). Everything else can follow on; these features will be enough to demonstrate that the core runtime code is adequately stable and reliable before we start building on top of it.

My apologies for the lengthy delays in releasing an update, and for the fact that it will continue for a while longer. I hope you can all bear with me; it's been hard to spend much time on it while dealing with my often crippling pain.

Apple II forever!
Sheppy
Antoine Vignau
2019-10-09 18:02:41 UTC
Sheppy,
Thanks for the update.
Any delivery time?

Antoine
l***@gmail.com
2019-10-09 18:26:06 UTC
Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing your progress.

-lane
Todd Holcomb
2019-10-10 03:18:47 UTC
Another reason not to update my MacBook's OS...

Thanks for all your hard work on this! I use Sweet16 on a regular basis to update Captain's Quarters BBS. Working at 40 mHz gets things done a lot quicker than on my real IIgs!
Alex Lee
2019-10-10 09:16:19 UTC
Thanks for the update Eric. As always, whatever you can manage and as
long as it's fun!

Alex
Zarquon
2020-10-25 21:59:09 UTC
Any progress to report? I'm moving to Catalina, and I'm hoping not to lose Sweet16.

Thanks!
Eric Shepherd
2020-10-26 11:56:15 UTC
Post by Zarquon
Any progress to report? I'm moving to Catalina, and I'm hoping not to lose Sweet16.
It’s coming along, though still more slowly than I’d prefer. Or, more
accurately, I keep finding that there’s even more I have to redo than I
thought. Even trying to keep the work to a relative minimum necessary
amount to get something shipped, it’s still daunting. I am fairly confident
that I can ship *something* this autumn.

It hasn’t helped that I have gone through a layoff and job hunt, starting a
new job (today, in fact), and two surgeries over the course of the summer.

2020, amirite? :)
--
Sheppy