duke nukem1 lores platformer demake
v***@pianoman.cluster.toy
2020-12-16 21:08:27 UTC
Made another demake, this time the old EGA Duke Nukem1 game.

In lo-res, as always, as it's so much easier to code for.

http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/duke/

Vince
Kent Dickey
2021-01-06 03:40:35 UTC
http://youtu.be/XjZEjs3p9ow
http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/duke/
Vince
I like the graphics. I'm not really able to use the controls very well,
but that may be a "me" problem.

The link from the website to the github page isn't right, you've
rearranged things so it's at:
https://github.com/deater/dos33fsprogs/blob/master/games/duke/

The github makes it seem like you use a Mockingboard, but I could not seem
to detect the code even accessing $C400-$C4FF, let alone trying to play
music.

Also, when I run it on KEGS as a IIgs emulator, the disk tries to move the arm
past track 35 and the game doesn't load. But when I run KEGS as a IIe
emulator, it works fine. I haven't tried to look into what's going wrong yet.

Kent
v***@pianoman.cluster.toy
2021-01-13 03:20:34 UTC
Post by Kent Dickey
I like the graphics. I'm not really able to use the controls very well,
but that may be a "me" problem.
yes, sorry, the controls are tough to use.
Apple II keyboard controls are a pain, since you don't get keydown/keyup
events. I was doing my best to match the feel of the DOS Duke Nukem game
where you can jump while running, and change direction while jumping but
it makes it a bit hard to control.
Post by Kent Dickey
The github makes it seem like you use a Mockingboard, but I could not seem
to detect the code even accessing $C400-$C4FF, let alone trying to play
music.
it only plays mockingborad music in the "bonus" level you get to after
beating level 1.
Post by Kent Dickey
Also, when I run it on KEGS as a IIgs emulator, the disk tries to move the arm
past track 35 and the game doesn't load. But when I run KEGS as a IIe
emulator, it works fine. I haven't tried to look into what's going wrong yet.
that's odd. I'm using qkumbas fast rwts code which as far as I know should
work on IIgs, but I haven't tested there. I usually only test on II+/IIe.

Vince